The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southern Pines II - To go, or not to go?

Hey COTH-ers. I have a question for you all.

I'm originally from NC, but living in Norfolk Virginia for grad school. I am so far away from events, but after looking at the entry list I was contemplating coming down to Southern Pines (via Raleigh) for Saturday's XC. I would go to the Fork, which I went to last year, but I'm running a Triathlon that weekend, so that's out! Those who have been, would you suggest that I come down? Is the XC good for spectating?

Thanks for the input, and let me know if you'll be there! I'm more a lurker than a commenter, but I'd love to meet some of you in the flesh.

Liz

The course is beautiful - new course designer this year - and the park has done a lot to clear out the galloping lanes so you can get great views. The weather forecast is so so at the moment (subject to change). Disclaimer: it's our home turf and the park's events hold a special place in my heart so I may be prejudiced.

I second the above appraisal Great riders, beautiful course. The only possible negative is the weather.

I rely on Wundermap for my up to the minute radar maps and Weatherbug for my hour by hour temp and possibility of rain. The latter gives a possibility for rain at any given time of 43% for tomorrow (with an 80% chance of rain at some point during the day). Temp in the low 40's through early afternoon, struggling up to a high of 50*.

Come to think of it, I guess I do not suggest you make the 3 hour drive down.
    "Dyslexics Untie!"

Thanks for the suggestions pegasus and helpus, I decided to stay after looking at the weather. If only it were 65 and sunny!