The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle companies that take trade ins

I have found myself (this is a long story, not really relevant) in possession of a brand new full calf CWD saddle. It's not something I'm really interested in owning (family member bought it, needed the $$, I bought it from them as a favor) and I'm wondering if I could trade it towards a saddle that I DO want.

Not that I need more, as I have both a jump and a dressage saddle coming from the UK, but neither here nor there.

Do any of the high end brands accept trade ins as a direct credit towards a purchase? Are any known for being more fair with values than others? This was a super expensive saddle and while I got a good price on it, I didn't steal it, so I'd need to at least get out of it what I paid towards a new saddle.

I think CWD and Antares both do

If you don't need another saddle, why not just sell it rather than do a trade in? It seems slightly used CWDs are selling quite well, so you might get your money out of it easier that way.

2 members found this post helpful.

Most companies do. I know Voltaire, CWD, Devoucoux and Antares accept trade ins.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

yeah you can certainly sell it. I know you can do a trade in with Antares. They gave me a very good value on my old Antares saddle towards new custom. didn't end up going that way, but it was a good number.

Maryland Tack Exchange buys out right I've been doing the same search.

Rachel at iselltack.com sells lots of high end saddles. You could contact her to get a quote for what your saddle would sell for and see what she has available to possibly trade for.

Have you tried to sell it yourself? While that would involve more work, you would likely get the highest amount of money back because you would not need to pay a commission fee/or similar fee for the company or tack store that sells it. If you prefer to go the trade-in route, most high-end saddle companies will offer a trade in, but I think it's usually towards a new saddle, but I would verify that either way.

Sell it! You'll get more money this way.
    Consign with Patricia of Fine Used Saddles if you don't want to list it yourself, she is great!

All of the high end saddle companies including Bruno Delgrange will take trade ins. But I agree selling it out right will most likely net you the most money and cash is always a better bargaining chip than another companies saddle.