The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    My first pony was a 11hand Shetland cross named Meadow Mouse. The W/T trainer nick named him Metal Mouth ...yep he bit, and was hard to catch , bucked when you asked him to canter , laid down when he got to hot , upon opening his stall often he'd shove his butt into you, jumped out of the ring half a dozen times , dumped me a few miles from home on my first bare back trail ride with the big kids of course he ran home, ran away with me at a horse show (he was trotting) went next door to a nursery and knocked down several rows of seedlings squeezing between them in his trotting quest for freedom. I LOVED HIM ...when I got good enough that he was 90% good 10 % cheeky I missed the naughty. When I out grew him I cried for weeks.

My daughters w/t pony is a saint by his standards and I appreciate her..but I often wonder if she will have disadvantages learning to ride on a pony who is always nose to the grindstone and never questions authority.

A cousin of mine had a pony 'Flicka' who dumped grown men...one time another cousin of mine had popped off said pony and she was told not to get back on....she stood in the middle of the barn yard yelling - SCREAMING - BUT I WANT TO GET BACK ON!!!!

At that age they bounce well enough....when you have to fall later - and from higher up - that's when the bad stuff happens.
    My ride descended from a TB mare posing as a Shettie...he thought it was fun to act like one...not a fun ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

1 members found this post helpful.

Lol, I got my Thelwell pony when I was 15: https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

This thing dumped me a few times, but was so much fun to ride and jump around that it was totally worth it.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

I've got to say, I'm an Ed fan. Reminds me of some of the stuff I had to put up with when I was little.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

You know, it seems tome that these days kids are so over-protected and have to have an instructor, being in a ring, take orders and lessons, that they never experience the real fun of being 'gone till dinner' and having adventures with their horses, learning by being taught by the pony. I think they miss out
    on something.

I'm Pony Club through and through, so safety is always front and center...
    but back in the day, as they say.

A good measure of common sense is often missing.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'm also an Ed fan...and if you notice, in most of the videos, there are adults present, Ross is always wearing a vest and a helmet and is grinning most of the time after he is dumped.

I know many, many kids who would have a screaming fit if the pony took a minor misstep. I admire Ross' ability to roll with the punches and you can tell he adores little Ed.

I loved the follow-up video, where Ross goes back to see Ed several years later.
    Last edited by Blkarab; Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: grammer
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

2 members found this post helpful.