The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default real life Thelwell pony and his awesome kid.

love this video. I laughed so hard, tears were coming out of my eyes. What a great kid for dealing with this. I loved the whole thing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaP0t5IUnM

3 members found this post helpful.

Default There was nothing to love in this video

All the "adults" (and I use that term loosely) did was teach a pony that he could get a kid off every time and teach a kid to fall off.

That pony had about 10 more chances than it ever would have gotten if it pulled that crap in my barn.

By the time I was done riding it, the only time those feet were coming off the ground would be over a jump.

The only reason none of those kids were hurt was God was watching.

That pony would be pulling stumps on my farm.

And teaching a kid to hold a pony's face while aiming it at the arena fence and hitting it? What exactly was the pony supposed to do?

Stupid, stupid people.

At some point, the kid should have marched over, kicked his mother/trainer in the shin and left the arena.

12 members found this post helpful.

I didn't find it amusing...particularly where the pony drops and tries to rub the child off. That's one lucky kid.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Ed was posted here many moons ago. Most didn't find it cute then either.

I know I don't.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

I laughed only because I used to ride a pony like this when I was little. He used to pull everything over on me. Even laid down and rolled with me, in an 8ft ditch full of water, in winter, on my birthday! That little stinker dumped me three times that day!
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Here's a video of Ed being a good boy with the same kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSB6YFO5Lbc

ETA: He looks like a sweet pony just taking care of his little rider in this video.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

i guess i should have known better to post to this group. Too critical.

I saw the kid was a bit hard on the pony's mouth, and the pony was teaching the kid not to. The kid never cried, only smiled and got back up. that is a great attitude for a little kid and i was happy to see it. the typical pony behavior was laughable to me.

10 members found this post helpful.

Ed has been around - bear in mind that according to the grandmother who posted the video, it was shot over the course of 18 months and that most of the time, the pony was very good. IIRC the whole reason it was made was to show the trainer that Ed could be really naughty...apparently he was good when trainer person was around? The info is somewhere in all the posts below the videos. A lot of us learned on ponies/horses like Ed. I used to ride schoolies - horses - who had some similar tricks...one would lay down about 25 minutes into a lesson.

Nezzy, I too, laughed at the typical pony behavior. And there are other videos of Ross going back to see his Ed later on, fwiw.

6 members found this post helpful.

I loved the whole thing too! This pony is priceless and did you notice for the most part he waited by his rider after dumping him?? This kid will be a great rider someday if he keeps riding this pony. I don't think Ed cares for jumping.

ETA: I learned to ride on ponies just like Ed , where the majority of the time they were good as gold. On the occasion they behaved like Ed we either stayed on and got them to do what we wanted or we parted company and then kept trying. It made us learn how to ride . This is what having a horse is all about when I was a kid.

What a little stinker - and they put him in a show! Loved that kid he sure was gutsy and stuck with the rotten little thing. A future Richard Spooner or someone. I came up through the ranks on similar ones - so, yes, I did smile, but I would not have allowed it with my own kids. But what did my parents know .. they were hopeless.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

4 members found this post helpful.

I have watched the Ed videos many times, and FWIW, I think they are hilarious.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

5 members found this post helpful.

Actually, as I recall, our daughter had one a bit like him when she was about seven or eight and the pony did whatever she wanted whenever she wanted - put her head down to graze and the kid popped over her neck, turned and ran while loading and had a few tricks up her feathered legs, until our daughter mastered her and she was the most wonderful pony e.v.e.r. I'm smiling thinking of those days...but - she wasn't as bad as Ed.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Default TOO MUCH !

Too much ! Kid is 'tough' but is going to get hurt !

Whoever is in charge should be ashamed !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Too much ! Kid is 'tough' but is going to get hurt !

Whoever is in charge should be ashamed !
    there is actually a follow up video. the kid survived naughty pony and came back to visit Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Kid grew up and is doing well and is an excellent little rider...

1 members found this post helpful.

I found it interesting that the family choose to include clips of their child being dragged and thrown into fences. Those type of incidents are how children are seriously injured or killed. I don't find anything funny about a kid stuck in the stirrups and getting dragged.

I always find it interesting that people defend these type of ponies or say that "well the kid turned out fine so no harm." For every video like this that goes viral, how many more overhorsed kids get hurt or scared out of horses after getting thrown one too many times?

I remember having no fear as a child (and an abnoxious pony that took time to master). It's a miracle that many of us lived through childhood.

That's how we learned to ride. You first had to catch the pony, tack up and learn to stay on.

Here's a whole herd of well behaved Thelwell's for the more sensitive viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z1Kq...ature=youtu.be
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

My first pony was a 11hand Shetland cross named Meadow Mouse. The W/T trainer nick named him Metal Mouth ...yep he bit, and was hard to catch , bucked when you asked him to canter , laid down when he got to hot , upon opening his stall often he'd shove his butt into you, jumped out of the ring half a dozen times , dumped me a few miles from home on my first bare back trail ride with the big kids of course he ran home, ran away with me at a horse show (he was trotting) went next door to a nursery and knocked down several rows of seedlings squeezing between them in his trotting quest for freedom. I LOVED HIM ...when I got good enough that he was 90% good 10 % cheeky I missed the naughty. When I out grew him I cried for weeks.

My daughters w/t pony is a saint by his standards and I appreciate her..but I often wonder if she will have disadvantages learning to ride on a pony who is always nose to the grindstone and never questions authority.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    That's how we learned to ride. You first had to catch the pony, tack up and learn to stay on.

Here's a whole herd of well behaved Thelwell's for the more sensitive viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z1Kq...ature=youtu.be
    Now that made my morning! Can't help but smile while watching all those happy faces.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."