The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Website for Heartland Farms?

I just read a great article in COTH magazine about the Cudmore's and their breeding / sales program,and also an interesting Q & A about the horse breeding business and the economy. I wanted to check out their Heartland Farms website to see what was out there; after 30 minutes of searching I still haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know the website address for Heartland Farms, or does one not exist?

Looks like the site is gone, can't put it up on google and the one off their YouTube account is down as well (page hasn't been uploaded to in 5 years)

They have a Facebook page. Try that

Quote Originally Posted by equitationlane View Post
    They have a Facebook page. Try that
    Appears to not be their farm. A shame that what seems like a great place to find US bred horses doesn't have any advertising or contact information out there, especially after a big feature story in COTH.

I know they do have a FB page. Their daughter posts on it.

A Google brought up a phone number pretty easily: (402) 572-7487

I'm with slp on this one. I tend to like to window shop before making calls. Especially with a facility as big as this. I would hate to cold call and ask what they had for sale.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I'm with slp on this one. I tend to like to window shop before making calls. Especially with a facility as big as this. I would hate to cold call and ask what they had for sale.
    With 400+ head of stock, I doubt they're going to have a sales page with everything listed. Even my barn (BNT trainer known for imports) only posts a very, very small selection on the website—you miss out by not calling.

Good point, Tha Ridge.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

i know several people who have bought good horses from them at good prices. however, i heard it directly from BNTs who do business with the Cudmores, that because they do such large volume of breeding that good horses get sold, "bad" horses go to slaughter. i don't know if this is the norm at all large breeding "factories" but it's a sad downside to giving them your money. they do produce some nice horses, but not a happy ending for a lot of the ones they breed, so it might be a factor for some buyers to consider.

I have been there. In my option it borders on a hoarding situation. The ones being ridden are in the barn, but all the others live In huge groups in different pastures. The ones I looked at were barely handled, Feet not done and mane and tail in huge dreadlocks. A couple we were going to look at we couldn't because they could catch them. All the horses were age 3 to 7. It was a eye opener for sure.
    Dog hair, it's whats for dinner

I never worked for them myself, but spent a lot of time with them at shows over the years. Ive worked side by side with the staff and helped take care of Conejo when they had a family emergency a few years ago while we were in transit from the Pan Ams. They are a wonderful family. Ive had friends and old students that have gone to ride for them over the years and never heard a bad word. I always got the feeling Heartland was a "Family" operation. Im sure if you just gave them a call they would be happy to answer any questions and accommodate you. I'm also sure they are very busy people so ask around to find out the best way to contact them.

Does anyone have a link to the article? I have a 7 year old by Conejo doing the 3'6" juniors and equitation. I've talked to Karen briefly on the phone about my horse and she knew him by name immediately. I'd be interested to read the article.

Not sure if the link works, but this is their FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/heart.farms?fref=ts

I have not been to their farm but they stayed for a couple weeks at a farm I was working at at the time and they are lovely people. I bump into Karen as well as her elder daughter and husband now and again and they are always sure to take the time to talk. They've got a great eye for horses, too!
    I'd rather be riding!