The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Badminton entries are up

http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/ind...for-badminton/

http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/ind...horses-riders/

Tiana Coudray is the only accepted rider from the US, and Canadian Rebecca Howard will be running Riddle Master. Shiraz is pretty high on the waiting list, and Gordonstown is WAY down.

They had 180 qualified entries.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/ind...for-badminton/

http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/ind...horses-riders/

Tiana Coudray is the only accepted rider from the US, and Canadian Rebecca Howard will be running Riddle Master. Shiraz is pretty high on the waiting list, and Gordonstown is WAY down.

They had 180 qualified entries.
    And that there my friends is what's wrong with eventing. Barry's Best is also way down the wait list. This sport places way too much importance on the ability to do well in dressage and ocasionally get around a ***. Who cares what the other results look like.

Why can't Badminton take all entries? Doesn't Rolex take everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by lizloveshorses View Post
    Why can't Badminton take all entries? Doesn't Rolex take everybody?

Simply not enough time to take everyone who is qualified. You can only start so many horses. Rolex takes everyone because it is never over subscribed.

Thanks, Snoopy.

Just pointing out that Clark Montgomery is on the waiting list as well at 13....
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

According to the FEI if an event is over-subscribed, no rider can ride more than two horses. Since WFP has 5 accepted and Mary King has three and AN has three, that means that the first five on the waiting list are guaranteed acceptance, doesn't it?

According to the FEI if an event is over-subscribed, no rider can ride more than two horses. Since WFP has 5 accepted and Mary King has three and AN has three, that means that the first five on the waiting list are guaranteed acceptance, doesn't it?
    They take that into account already when doing the initial accepted list. They do usually get down at least into the teens.

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad there is at least one Canadian. Happy to see Alex representing China too...cool!

1 members found this post helpful.

Personally I have never seen an entry list like it. I think its even better than last years.
    It is certainly going to make for an amazing competition as long as this damn weather stops! Its crippling our season already as I fully expect Gatcombe to be cancelled this weekend.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

I'm puzzled at why the Germans are sending their whole Team to run a 4* in the UK. That's practically unheard of. It's a huge change from their past practice. I'd love to be in the heads of the FN. I wonder if it has something to do with the new FEI Categories?

I'm puzzled at why the Germans are sending their whole Team to run a 4* in the UK. That's practically unheard of. It's a huge change from their past practice. I'd love to be in the heads of the FN. I wonder if it has something to do with the new FEI Categories?
    I would say that they have now shown themselves to be an Eventing world power (under the current format), why not represent. In days of old their plunkers (no offense intended just a personal observation) were not capable of being competitive in all three phases, and Badminton is the Eventing acid test.

I am sorry, I am a long format snob. Warmbloods have Dressage and Show Jumping let Thoroughbreds rule atleast one Olympic sport......

The Germans have always been competitive in Eventing at the Olympics, IIRC, even in Long Format days. Their practice was to develop their teams at home doing 3*s. For this Olympics, none of their horses and riders had competed in a 4* other than Luhmuhlen, unless I'm wrong. I was. King Artus won Pau in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    I would say that they have now shown themselves to be an Eventing world power (under the current format), why not represent. In days of old their plunkers (no offense intended just a personal observation) were not capable of being competitive in all three phases, and Badminton is the Eventing acid test.

I am sorry, I am a long format snob. Warmbloods have Dressage and Show Jumping let Thoroughbreds rule atleast one Olympic sport......

Without having looked at the ages, maybe some of these horses are unlikely to be in consideration for the next Olympic cycle and the riders want to run the big one. Even though they're German, they're still eventers. I'm sure Michael Jung wouldn't mind adding a Badminton victory to his collection.

You answered your own question with your next comment. You can count on the WEG's to be an up to height and technical 4 star. The prep for an OG's can be that of a three star as the courses have been more of that nature since the precedent set in 2004.

Quite right NCRider, Butts A und Butts Leon won't do another Olympics and Michael Jung has won everything except Badminton - no German has, so there you go. This year is rather an off year for German eventing as well, another European Championship, well, sort of been there done that won that for many of them. Also, Aachen is now an essential part in the qualifying process for the German Team (and also not too shabby in matters of prize-money and PR), as that is held so shortly after Luhm├╝hlen doing the CCI4 there is not an option. And of course, it's not like they have never done Badminton before, they have all been there and finished in the top 10 - with Jung who was entered last year already and Auffarth being the only newcomers - no wonder, Jung did his first CCI4 2009 in Luhm├╝hlen and Auffarth in 2011. So not much mystery there. Burghley was mentioned in another thread - that's another story as it directly clashes with Championships which for Europeans take place every year (EC, O'pics, WEG) and there aren't too many German eventers who have more than one horse who is really capable of doing either, and it clashes with the BuCha (sort of German Championship for young horses) - more important for keeping the biz going than Burghley.