The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My biggest regret is that I cannot swivel my house 180 degrees to face my barn & pastures.

In all seriousness, I came to farm ownership as a Big City Transplant some 9 years ago.
    I had done a stint as WS many years ago and had the benefit of a great trainer in my past who shared his wealth of knoweldge of horsekeeping.
    I faced a lot of naysayers, including my final BO who made sure to tell me how quickly I'd give it up as too much work.
    Sorry, Charlie - I'm still here and so are my horses. all of us fat, healthy & happy.

Do I miss the socializing of a boarding barn?
    Meh - not so much.

I am fortunate to have neighbors with equipment who help with the heavy work, an indoor and a trainer who comes to me when I feel the need.

I find the ability to wander down to the barn in my jammies on a Summer night and indulge myself - cat on lap - with the horse-munching mantra outweighs the hard labor of Winter.

If it's what you truly want, I think you find a way to make it work.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

OP. sounds like you are ready to me. I have auto waterers and auto feeders so no one is waiting on me. They work great and i can set the feed for 6 AM so i can ride at 7 AM. Some wise person posted on here, ride first, then you will have the energy to do the other chores. Riding is uplifting most of the time and gives you energy to do all the other things. That and get your SO to pitch in. Enjoy. Have no regrets and make everything a learning experience.

No regrets! I have show horses at home. When I did board, I spent 30 min - 1 hr driving to the barn, and also often would work off board, so I definitely spend more time with my horses now, and can ride just as much. Definitely save money, too, though board in my area is very expensive ($800+ per month for barns without indoors or with sub par facilities and care).