The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems with Importing a horse.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced any problems with importing your horse from Europe when using professional shippers?? And what was the solution to the problem? Such as if you horse missed the flight or would not load into the container. Thanks for your feedback.

The only problem is sometimes getting an entire palette, but other than that no. Always what was quoted however. Much easier in the flight era today than when it was either by boat, or in the single horse (non enclosed) container where there could be real problems (think the international velvet movie).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

The only problem is sometimes getting an entire palette, but other than that no. Always what was quoted however. Much easier in the flight era today than when it was either by boat, or in the single horse (non enclosed) container where there could be real problems (think the international velvet movie).

OH dear.

Please be honest Ideayoda/galopp/ PK - how many horses have you imported in the last 10 years? Will you post an answer?

OP -You might want to post on the breeding board where the advice won't be based on cheesey movies. Talk to people who have actually imported lots of horses in the last 5 years.

I can think of a few on this board who can help.

12 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Crockpot! I have imported in the last few years and have never had this issue before. I was hoping to hear real issues and solutions from past importing problems.

I know of a horse that was going US to Europe that missed it's flight - injured on the way to container (horse had a known "quirk" about loading/unloading and was just too fast for the handler). Had to stay, be treated, repeat quarantine, I think owner also had to pay for another ticket.
    Not the shippers fault horse did not load. Fortunately she went to quarantine in a place that was run by top pros and by the next time, the horse had impeccable manners and no problems.

I do know one of the MOST reliable shippers, so PM if you want contact.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I've only shipped internationally once in each direction. The only problem I encountered was the US-EU transport by perhaps the largest international horse transporter... in order to get a full pallet they notified me at the last minute that they wanted to ship my boy from NH to KY then NJ before a flight out of JFK. Their communication with me was nearly non-existent and I ended up cancelling and going with a slightly higher-priced but much more personal service from a UK-based shipper that I now swear by. Lesson: go with the shipper that treats you like a million-dollar client no matter how comparatively low-value your non-racehorse is.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    OH dear.

Please be honest Ideayoda/galopp/ PK - how many horses have you imported in the last 10 years? Will you post an answer?

OP -You might want to post on the breeding board where the advice won't be based on cheesey movies. Talk to people who have actually imported lots of horses in the last 5 years.

I can think of a few on this board who can help.

I'm confused, were you intending to contribute to the discussion i.e. discuss your experiences with importing
    or
    were you just looking to jeer at other contributors

Suggesting the Sport Horse Breeding - now that's insight ...

1 members found this post helpful.

(Haven't counted, but as recently as a couple of months ago a palette with three.) The point was that the only difficulty today is getting a group together (if there is only one horse) makes exact timing more difficult. And having good bloodwork (being absolutely sure there is no piro if importing from southern europe/portugal). And generally insuring for the flight, as things can (but rarely) happen during transport. My point was that it was scary years ago when the horses were in flimsy single horse stalls rather than the enclosed palette/trailer within the plane of today (which makes it pretty routined/without drama). And I have known people who did lose horses (actually on the way to a games) years ago (so it happens not just in movies), equally we had a race horse who loved to fly and would almost put himself in his box.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

(Haven't counted, but as recently as a couple of months ago a palette with three.) The point was that the only difficulty today is getting a group together (if there is only one horse) makes exact timing more difficult. And having good bloodwork (being absolutely sure there is no piro if importing from southern europe/portugal). And generally insuring for the flight, as things can (but rarely) happen during transport. My point was that it was scary years ago when the horses were in flimsy single horse stalls rather than the enclosed palette/trailer within the plane of today (which makes it pretty routined/without drama). And I have known people who did lose horses (actually on the way to a games) years ago (so it happens not just in movies), equally we had a race horse who loved to fly and would almost put himself in his box.
    Did you even read the OP's posts?

And yes, to alto, plenty of people on the breeding board have experience importing and exporting horses.

Friend just ran into problems coming from Southern Europe - turns out there was an air strike, but no one was communicating WHY the horses were delayed for so long (weeks in a holding facility before they got on the plane). At least this is the explanation that was provided.
    Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Mar. 23, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

There was a 1 day strike on Thursday of this week by Lufthansa- but that's the first time since September
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

FYI- new pony coming! Found a yummy one today in Germany!
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

1 members found this post helpful.

I have been involved in importing about a dozen horses from Germany and the Netherlands. (2 for me, the rest helping friends because I had done it before). I have never had a hiccup.

My neighbor breeds Andalusians and bought 6 mares in Spain. They were held up in the exit quarantine holding facility for over 7 months. My friend said they finally bribed someone to let them go. I'm not sure if he was kidding or not. The mares were young and shipped loose together on 2 pallets (3 on each pallet). One mare fractured the "wing" of her pelvis during the flight. She was servicable as a broodmare but not really sound. All the problems seem to come from the Spanish end of the transaction. This was several years ago.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'm confused, were you intending to contribute to the discussion i.e. discuss your experiences with importing
    or
    were you just looking to jeer at other contributors
    I would give a hearty vote for #2, based on observations and my own personal "conversations" with Crockpot (See "Modern Masters" thread).

This is a very pissed off person...I think COTH is her punching bag.

Crock -- in the 8 yrs that I've been posting and reading on COTH, ideayoda is one of the minority in terms of actually NOT having her head up her cecum most of the time. From what I can tell, she actually knows what she's talking about (not that I always agree) a vast majority of the time.

And I gotta ask: why are you so frigging ANGRY?!?! You want to pick a fight with everyone!! What's the deal there?

4 members found this post helpful.

A long time ago I was involved in bringing horses over from Europe, and we went the economy route, so these poor horses came by truck, train, boat and plane to get here, but contingencies such as injury, missed connections, difficulty with the horse loading and so on, was all covered by the shipping contract with the broker who arranged the shipping for us.

We had to take some of the risk, but the broker took most of it, and seemed to be invested in ensuring it all went smoothly...which it did other that having to be flexible on departure and arrival dates.

I think having a professional overseeing the trip really helped us ensure that the horses were handled by professionals the entire way.

I do suggest making sure that the contract is written such that it is bound by the laws of YOUR country/state/province so that if there are issues, they will be resolved locally rather than in Europe...which would likely be cost prohibitive to actually pursue.

I also do not recommend going the discount route as I think the horses came with more minor unsoundness/stiffness as they spent more time travelling than they needed to. It seemed to take them a year to really be "normal".
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

About 8 yrs ago an Akhal Teke breeder bought 5 horses over in Russia for import here to the US. It was a real disaster, but I don't think any of the problems had to do with the actual international shipper; but the various borders, paper work, and overland haulers.

Once they finally got the horses to Luxemburg (which is where they flew out of if my memory serves), one had died and another aborted. But again, that was not the shipper.

May I ask what sort of problem are you talking about? Just in general or did something specific already happen ?

I ask because you have asked for solutions...I would think the solution would be specific to the problem encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    And yes, to alto, plenty of people on the breeding board have experience importing and exporting horses.

where did I imply that folk posting over in Sport Horse Breeding might not be experienced with importing horses from Europe into the US (somehow I don't think you're much interested in horses travelling from Europe to the USA to Canada)

My query was:
    Crockpot, please discuss your experiences with importing.

But again you choose only to animadvert upon ideayoda's contribution to the discussion ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post

May I ask what sort of problem are you talking about? Just in general or did something specific already happen ?

I ask because you have asked for solutions...I would think the solution would be specific to the problem encountered.
    It is a loading issue and how shipping companies handle this issue with regards to additional expenses for the owner. As a note, we are working with one of the largest European shippers, so have not skimped on cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    A palette is for painting !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

A palette is for painting !
    The "t's" and "e's" got confused
    "The horses are flown in jet stalls, which are proprietary stalls," Dutta says. "All of the horses that will be going to the Games will be flying two in a pallet, meaning they'll be sharing the container with another horse."
    http://m.npr.org/story/148085883
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert