The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Owners, riders and prize money question

Hi all!

Can anyone tell me whether there's an accepted norm for the distribution of prize money between owners and riders? It's for fiction, so it doesn't have to be exact.

Back when I was riding, owners would usually split any prize money with me, but that was a long time ago and the money wasn't big like it is today

Thanks!
    Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it. – Goethe
    www.mgarzon.ca

If you have a pro, the % given to the pro is determined by contract ahead of time. The summer I rode with a BNT I believe it was 20% for money won with the pro in the stirrups. That was with a jumper.

These days with a hunter winning maybe $20 a class, no extra money goes to the pro aside from the fee already earned for riding the horse. If they win a classic I buy them a present.

1 members found this post helpful.

For us, the prize money has always gone to the show bill for the horse. If it's more than the bill, then rider gets 15-25% or the owner keeps it (depending on how much money it is/what the contract says prior). However this is with the owner paying the show fees for a pro and possibly paying the trainer extra to ride in those classes. Junior catch riders generally earn no money, just the opportunity to show a horse without paying class fees.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Actually, junior riders can get paid these days. Years ago you'd get them a small gift. There is no USEF ban on juniors and $ now so in that situation, I'd talk to the parents or the trainer of the junior rider .

Prize money? what prize money? :-)

Thanks for all your responses! I appreciate it I should have specified it was for a pro riding a jumper.

btw what's a BNT?
    Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it. – Goethe
    www.mgarzon.ca

Big Name Trainer
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

The barn I worked for it was 20% to the rider for classes over a certain amount; I forget what the cutoff was, but it basically meant the rider only got money for jumper classes or big hunter classics.

Traditionally, all money went to the owner. He also paid all the bills-- entries and the rider. Usually, the owner paid the rider a wage for riding, a negotiated percentage of winnings and might give him a tip as well.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I know a few pro riders that take 20% of money won though one i know takes 50%! But were talking big Grand Prix's over 1.50 and usually mid to high 5 figures if not over 6 figures