The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Midwest Relocation (Canton, OH or Detroit, MI?)

Hi,

My husband and I are considering some relocation options. Assuming that jobs are equal in both locations, which has a stronger horsey/eventing community Canton, OH or Detroit, MI? The Ohio competition scene looks pretty strong based on the USEA Omnibus. We're interested in having a small hobby farm (10-40 acres) to keep horses at home, but I'm also interested in being able to board one or two riding horses through the winter months. Does anybody have any great eventing or jumper trainer recommendations for Canton or Detroit area?

Thanks in advance!
    Katie.

Check out the USEA's ICP page for instructors. Not sure how far you want to drive for instruction so I'm not going to throw out names randomly. Northeast Ohio also hosts quite a few eventing clinics every year; Lucinda Green, Boyd Martin, Eric Dierks, Stuert Pittman to name a few come into the area. Robin Walker does about 5 clinics per year. We also boast a fantastic unrecognized horse trials series, google Northeast Ohio Mini Trials Series for the current calendar. Canton would be about 5 hours to KHP and some of the East Coast events.
    Last edited by horsecents; Mar. 21, 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

NE Ohio is within a couple of hours of several recognized events. Jackie Smith, Kyle Smith and Sue Hines are excellent eventing instructors, who are located close to Canton.

As horsecents said, the NE Ohio Mini Event series is terrific for starting a young horse from Intro (walk/trot), green as grass, through Training at many of the venues that host the recognized events.

My DH and I had a similar decision to make whether to go to the Cleveland or Detroit FBI office. We chose the Cleveland area. Either way, you will be in a snow belt. We lived in the area for 18 years.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Michigan has an active and friendly eventing community. We have a number of lovely courses with varying terrain from flat to extremely rolling. We run about 10 events between May and October, most from Starter through Training/Prelim, but up to 3* at Richland Park. It's also a very reasonable drive to other events in Ohio and the rest of Area 8.

Please check out our state eventing association's website at www.eventingmichigan.org and feel free to email us or PM me if you have any questions.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll chime in here from Michigan! We have a very strong eventing community here in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area with alot of opportunities as well to bring up green horses from starter level on up. Our local EA is www.eventingmichigan.org. There are lots of eventing derbies, recognized and unrecognized events clinics and alot of them are in the Ann Arbor area with a few in Metamora and on the west side of the state.. There are many lovely facilities around the Ann Arbor area that offer schooling as well as great trainers! I came from Area 1 (MA) and was afraid there wouldn't be much out here but I was pleasantly surprised to find a great eventing community! I'm in the suburbs of Detroit and am planning a move to Ann Arbor in the next couple of months! You can PM me for any further info!

1 members found this post helpful.

The Detroit area is HUUUGE. In what part of "Detroit" would you be thinking of living? There is a great local EA in Michigan with a fair number of recognized and unrecognized HTs, some good places to school, and a nice community. Don't know anything about Canton except the NFL hall of fame is there.
    Click here before you buy.

Canton's also quite close to Ohio's Amish area. I grew up about 1.5 hours SW of Canton, so know that area. Lots of really rich farmland, pretty good hay prices, scenic rolling hills, and plenty of hardwood trees and ponds/streams. The land tends to clay with a good layer of topsoil, but can be heavy in winter when it's saturated. Is Detroit far enough north to have the Michigan sandy soils?
    ---------------------------

Sadly, no.... We have clay also however, I know that Cobblestone and Hunters Run and Richland have top notch irrigation systems for their courses!

Actually Canton is NOT in the snow belt but still gets it's fair share of winter. Stone Gate Farm is about 30 miles due east of Canton, South Farm about 50 miles North east. Canton is near major highways which makes travel in any direction fairly easy. I'm not quite sure what the ground is like in the actual Canton area but we do NOT have clay and due to the hills drain fairly well.

We would love to have another eventer in the area but I must admit that MI does have a very active eventing scene

Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by xcatheart View Post
    Sadly, no.... We have clay also however, I know that Cobblestone and Hunters Run and Richland have top notch irrigation systems for their courses!
    Hunter's Run actually has lovely sandy soil. It's just us folks in the A2 area that have all the clay. :P Honey Run's turf is pretty mature; it gets areated regularly and holds pretty well. Cobblestone has made super improvements to their footing in just a couple of years, too, and the owners/organizers are very conscientious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JFS View Post
    We would love to have another eventer in the area but I must admit that MI does have a very active eventing scene

Jackie
    And folks from our neck of the woods travel regularly to South Farm and to Jackie's lovely farm for competitions! Very doable distance from the Detroit area (or up to the Michigan events FROM that part of Ohio) .

Default Thank you!

Thanks for all the fantastic responses. It sounds like both MI and OH have strong eventing communities! I suspect we'll probably end up in Canton due to better job opportunities for DH. My employer in Detroit would be near downtown, how far is the drive from downtown to get to horse areas?
    Last edited by NaturalSelection; Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: needed a comma!

how far is the drive from downtown to get to horse areas?
    An hour or more. But it's possible to live in the near suburbs and be about halfway between downtown and horse country. Mass transit in Detroit is nonexistent, but there are beaucoup freeways. And compared to other bigger cities traffic is (IMO/E) average.
    Click here before you buy.

Check the crime rate in both cities. It might affect where you decide to go. I have no idea what the numbers are? However, if you have kids, I would take that into consideration, too.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Frankly, no one actually lives in Detroit. The downtown/ midtown area is coming back, and there are amazing deals (on real estate and taxes) to be had if that's your thing. But most people who work in the city commute in (I drive 47 miles in ~40 minutes from Ann Arbor). But there are a variety of communities in the metropolitan area, for pretty much every lifestyle and budget (from hoity-toity old auto money to upcoming hipster towns to plain old sprawlvilles etc) within reasonable distance of the city. My best friend lives in Plymouth, which is 20-25 minutes to downtown, and about 10 minutes from a big HJ barn.