The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Wow, delusional much. There is no "little group" just people who disagree with horse slaughter and we are the majority.
    I am rather confident that you are not the majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    And you as a breeder stand to gain from horse slaughter, so what you think also, "means nothing".
    How do I gain, as a breeder? I know how I could if I was forced to use it..I know it is there...many people are not as fortunate as I have been.

She stated since she did not own a horse..her opinion ment nothing. I was in agreement..her opinion means nothing. She has no solution but sarcasm

OK this is a question I have for Sannois what the hell does whether I live in Saginaw CO have to do with my opinion?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    How do I gain, as a breeder? I know how I could if I was forced to use it..I know it is there...many people are not as fortunate as I have been.

She stated since she did not own a horse..her opinion ment nothing. I was in agreement..her opinion means nothing. She has no solution but sarcasm
    As a breeder you will always benefit from a lower horse population in the nation. Simliar to the housing market: more homes on the market favor the buyer, less homes on the market favor the seller. I'm pretty sure you understand the horse market as a breeder.

My point, and I know that you are frusterated, is that those of us anti-slaughter people are not all animal rights extremists. For many of us, we see it as an easy alternative to euthanizing our horses, which are to me my pets. That opinion does not make me or others animal rights extremists.

I get it really I do. From what I am hearing there is already a lax attitude about drugs in whatever we are eating.
    What was it Jswan said that now 80% of our animals are processed in only 4 places. That's potentially a long ride doesn't matter the species.
    We have lost alot of the local processing ability, which I think is really sad.
    If kept locally, I think we would have a better chance of keeping an eye on things. Making things more transparent instead of less would make things easier as well.
    I think most of us know the difference between a good death and a bad one.
    Yes I realize there are a lot of nutjobs out there that are going to complain no matter what.

The concern over horse processing is that the companies were foreign owned and seemed to have no interest in complying with regulations. From transport to slaughter it seems that many violations occurred and were never, at the time, fixed or fines paid. What makes it all different now??
    So far I have seen nothing to convince me that it would all be better this time.
    It's not the RARAs it's the government. Most of them couldn't find their *ick with tweezers and a magnifying glass and they will pass legislation without really knowing what the consequences are. This time possibly to appease a woman whose grandparents own an auction house. Is that a reason to pass a bill??

I do NOT think it is good for the horse...that is why I became involved with rescue for the ASB and became critical of the rescues under the umbrella of HSUS and also HSUS. They are after the money...looking aftrer horses is a necessary evil..they do not care how many people and horses they destroy in their rampage.

I have stated all along that slaugher is ONLY ONE PIECE of the Puzzle

Bluey is actually more in tune with reality..it is not just meat..IF the horse must be slaughtered then why not USE all of the products including its meat...rather than just dump it in a landfill.

We have continued to say..make the changes...get the facilities as stress free as possible and some have been it working..and working well. NOTHING is 100% and that is the demand of the Rara's. They demand impossible knowing that they can not meet that bar themselves..

A lot can be done with transportation and violators should be removed from ANY livestock transportation. That would cut very very deep into the industry and violators. Fine the shipping company. Not the auction nor the slaughter plant.
    Fire employees who are abusive. Tape and review all of the tapes. Train your employees. i think many things are going to operate to the better in the states as the owners KNOW they are under the microscope. I don't object to that.

Volunteer to be an oversee'er. No...it isn't pleasant..but it does make a difference.

As for a majority..NOPE..many don't like it..but they do not see an alternative and some pretty great people have tried to find a solution to no avail.

No ban needs to be put in place. Regulations and follow thru do..

4 members found this post helpful.

There are many that think banning slaughter is a harebrained idea, but don't care for the name calling the antis do, so don't post.

It does take guts to stand against the ban slaughter animal rights extremist drive.
    You are immediately assumed to be some kind of ogre and told so in many ways.

My thoughts? Any one that is generally dismissive of humans up front I have trouble believing them when they are declaring themselves very humane toward's animals.
    Their motives become suspect when they are mean to people with any one excuse, like when disagreeing.

What is that phrase, that kindness starts at home?
    My premise, good people are good all around.
    Basically good, honest people don't wish ill on others as easily as antis seem to do regularly.

Remember, animal rights is about bans and eliminating uses of animals by humans.
    Animal welfare is doing all we do with animals, including using some thru slaughter, the best way we can manage, with what we know.

When some want to ban this now, that later, they are following animal rights extremists agendas, if they want to admit it to themselves or are fanatics knowing very well what they are after.

Animal welfare would be working to make all we do, including slaughter, the best we can make it.

Those are different in important ways that we ought to be careful to remember will eventually mean if we get to keep our animals and yes, that means our horses also, or if we lose our rights to have them.

3 members found this post helpful.

Really Bluey, the anti-slaughter people are the name callers ? I think I have been called many names by the pro-slaughter posters and the pro-carriage posters, names that I have been asked by the mods not to repeat.

Please, pointing fingers is quite silly at this point.

You aren't qualified. I accept that

Too much proof with rescue, involvement AGAINST HSUS and its affiliates and volunteering Wednesdays at the Fort.

What you think, since you admit you aren't qualified..means nothing..
    Well since we do not know who you are, or what you claim to be involved with, other than throwing your weight around on the internet, right back at you!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There are many that think banning slaughter is a harebrained idea, but don't care for the name calling the antis do, so don't post.

It does take guts to stand against the ban slaughter animal rights extremist drive.
    You are immediately assumed to be some kind of ogre and told so in many ways.

My thoughts? Any one that is generally dismissive of humans up front I have trouble believing them when they are declaring themselves very humane toward's animals.
    Their motives become suspect when they are mean to people with any one excuse, like when disagreeing.

What is that phrase, that kindness starts at home?
    My premise, good people are good all around.
    Basically good, honest people don't wish ill on others as easily as antis seem to do regularly.

Remember, animal rights is about bans and eliminating uses of animals by humans.
    Animal welfare is doing all we do with animals, including using some thru slaughter, the best way we can manage, with what we know.

When some want to ban this now, that later, they are following animal rights extremists agendas, if they want to admit it to themselves or are fanatics knowing very well what they are after.

Animal welfare would be working to make all we do, including slaughter, the best we can make it.

Those are different in important ways that we ought to be careful to remember will eventually mean if we get to keep our animals and yes, that means our horses also, or if we lose our rights to have them.
    Well this is my last post on this subject, too much of a waste of effort,
    But Bluey, fairfax, the people who you claim want to ban slaughter on this thread other than maybe a couple, have never said that.
    I and others want it to be done humanely, I for one know it will go on no matter what you or I or anyone says on a silly horse board,
    But the fact that because we question makes us extreme animal rights activists? I am pretty sure if you take a poll on here, only a few would say they want it banned no matter what.
    But this is not constructive, our words are thrown back at us, we are belittled, called names. Personally I think it is very sad that people act this way. that is what the internet has done, I can be sure none of us would talk this way to each other in person. So carry on.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    And that makes it fact how?
    It does not make it fact. Bluey keeps claiming that a friend of hers told her this so it must be true. I don't believe it for one minute. Perhaps Bluey thinks constant repetition of the same words over and over and over somehow turn them into truths..........

3 members found this post helpful.

To help Bluey out in her oft repeated words of the Dallas Crown plant testing every single horse (as told to her by some person) that is quite obviously (to everyone else) untrue, I think I can guess where her mis-information came from. I did come across a document on the FSIS or USDA site (can't remember now) regarding inspecting horses before slaughter. There was a regulation stating that every horse must be visually inspected prior to slaughter to ensure that it appears healthy and disease free. That's it, the animal must be ambulatory and look ok. Actual testing requirements were 1 in 300 (far less than 1%) animals or at least 1 per week. Hardly testing every single horse for "residues" as stated and no where near enough to be a statistically relevant sample of animals that are very likely to have each come from a different owner, background, etc.
    Last edited by ADM7040; Mar. 27, 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added info
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    To help Bluey out in her oft repeated words of the Dallas Crown plant testing every single horse (as told to her by some person) that is quite obviously (to everyone else) untrue, I think I can guess where her mis-information came from. I did come across a document on the FSIS or USDA site (can't remember now) regarding inspecting horses before slaughter. There was a regulation stating that every horse must be visually inspected prior to slaughter to ensure that it appears healthy and disease free. That's it, the animal must be ambulatory and look ok. Actual testing requirements were 1 in 300 (far less than 1%) animals or at least 1 per week. Hardly testing every single horse for "residues" as stated and no where near enough to be a statistically relevant sample of animals that are very likely to have each come from a different owner, background, etc.
    Nope, the fellow doing the sampling and running the test himself told me they did that on each horse and that was confirmed time and again by others that worked there, inspectors also.
    That also was the plant's protocol and not USDA or any other, so you would not find official records of that or what the testing may have shown to run any statistics on that.

Not that this matters anyway today, other than one more way for some to try to call me names.

We're going to give everyone a break, and close this thread and let folks catch their breath.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

6 members found this post helpful.