The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Did you see the Australian Slaughter house video where they shoot the horse with the other behind him...then hit him over the head several times with the metal pipe to get him to back out of the shoot....just disgusting.

Or how about the Russian one I posted a few weeks ago where they smash the horses over the head with sledge hammers on concrete floors covered in blood where they try and fail to run for their lives while slipping and breaking legs, watching each other die.

People don't want to see this because they do not want to accept it exists. I am not against slaughter houses per se but I am absolutely %100 any inhumane slaughter of all animals and I have had just about enough of the way these sick people kill horses.
    How Australia & Russia do things has nothing to do with the US and this video. How is it supposed to be when an animal dies? The horse went down immediately isn't that what everyone wants?

1 members found this post helpful.

I have not read all the posts.

I dont have a problem with the gunshot. I have a issue with the motive. To kill something because you can..doesn't make it right. I find that people with this mind set are the ones we read about in papers. One should never "feel ok" about killing something. And I am pro- slaughter.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Shot him in the head and then beat him to back up?

Guess the shot didn't kill him...wonder if they immediately had him shod and did bick lick with him after.

As for horses watching others die..??? HUMAN emotions. the horsey does not go MAMA...MAMA...or Uncle Pete..what is happening.

I had to euthanize a yearling due to injuries after a fall on the ice and his mama..who he was with for the winter was with him when he dropped. She went out of the barn..returned and sniffed him..repeated twice and then it was over.

I would think you would applaud the Canadian slaughter over the Russian.

You throw in words...slipping and breaking legs?

I haven't seen the video but trying to hit horses in an open area with a sledge hammer? When I saw them at Tersk, they had cutes, the same as for their cattle.

Again..A video like you are saying exists only re-enforces WHY slaugher should be opened in the U.S. where it can be regulated.

But not to worry....Angela CLEARLY STATES All slaughter will be shut down in July as no horses from North America will qualify for the passport system (which is already in operation)
    Shot the first horse in the head....hit the horse behind him so they could drag the first out.

ANIMAL emotions...animals have emotion too...you know they do.

slipping and breaking legs....here is the video. Don't beleive me??? WATCH IT for yourself. WARNING >> EXTREMELY HORRIBLY GRAPHIC AND HORRIBLE

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/345913

I don't have issue with humane slaughter...I don't like it but I'm not on the totally anti slaughter brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    How Australia & Russia do things has nothing to do with the US and this video. How is it supposed to be when an animal dies? The horse went down immediately isn't that what everyone wants?
    I was just ranting based on the comments that people seem to not want to know or see what goes on behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much per hour the people who kill make? I can't imagine having a job like this and living with myself.

It's usually pretty low. And the benefits are pretty bad too. The additional shame is that it's a very physically dangerous job.

In areas where there are few job prospects, I suppose they can be good jobs, but from my little bit of googling, looks like you're earning 14K a year to start, maybe. High end 28K but that's not differentiating the different types of jobs (managers vs. kill box vs. cutters)

Here's a job listing for a poultry plant:

https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE...ILS&id=6226331

For $11/hr, you must hang live chickens on a line super-fast in a smelly, uncomfortable, damp, dangerous environment full of bird poop. For $8.50 an hour you can stand 8 hrs straight deboning, lifting heavy things, moving super fast around very sharp equipment, etc.

I can't imagine any of those jobs are particularly lucrative, but I've also been around some pretty depressed areas where jobs like these might be some of the best you'll find. :/ I don't think most people working in those environments hate themselves - it's just a job to most people, I think.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Shot the first horse in the head....hit the horse behind him so they could drag the first out.

slipping and breaking legs....here is the video. Don't beleive me??? WATCH IT for yourself. WARNING >> EXTREMELY HORRIBLY GRAPHIC AND HORRIBLE

I don't have issue with humane slaughter...I don't like it but I'm not on the totally anti slaughter brigade.
    OK but this has nothing to do with the video/subject of this thread, except that it's related to slaughter. I think people are getting confused between what you've described and the actual subject everyone else is discussing.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    I didn't watch the video, so does he use a bolt gun? Also, as far as this demonstrating anything relevant to slaughter, this is a far cry from what I personally object to about slaughter. This horse is tame, and stood still to be shot according to the posters. It didn't spend a few weeks going from auction to auction and crammed in trucks with strange horses getting beat up. So to argue that because a horse dies instantly from being shot, voila! slaughter really is humane! Uh, no. You can all go shoot horses all day long for all I care as a means of euthanasia. That's not got anything to do with the slaughter industry and the way it abuses horses.
    I agree with what you have posted. What I read indicates that the bolt maybe stuns the horse and it can regain its consciousness while it is being butchered alive.

Okay Seriously, That is the MOST horrific thing I have ever seen, I have seen many slaughter videos, But there is NO reason for that barbaric treatment.
    I watched until the dark grey sat up and looked at the guy who clubbed him.
    Seriously? Are they that backwards that they use clubs? My god I have absolutely no words for that. That defies reason, Pro slaughter people could never think that is acceptable. I can't think of any reason why they would choose to slaughter horses in that manner, not to mention the FILTH in that place. Seriously? Not even for pet food. AGH..
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Not going to watch it. What has been seen cannot be unseen so I'd rather not see it.
    Thank you very much for saying this.

SO TRUE.

I ain't gonna watch it either. I would never get it out of my mind. Never.

Where there is an audience, there is you tube. Don't watch, don't allow "the count" (of those who have watched) to go up.

Moving on to the next COTH thread.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    Have you every been in a slaughterhouse? You should if you eat meat.
    Yes. There is a plant near me and that is where I take my livestock.

The people who operate the plant are not creepy sociopaths. They are neighbors who get paid to do a job.

They deserve to get paid more than they do.

Unfortunately, Americans don't want to pay what they should for their food. They want everything cheap cheap cheap, and they want it RIGHT NOW. 24/7/365, even though they'll throw half of it in the trash.

I don't have a problem with someone shooting a horse to euthanize it. I do have a problem with asshats shooting animals to score some sort of political point.

For the record - he shot the horse properly and the horse died instantly. I would rather someone with his skills be doing that job properly, in this country, rather than shipping our horses over our borders. Unfortunately, that idiot shot himself in the foot because even a pro slaughter advocate must acknowledge that the video did more harm than good.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm confused how do we know the video is what it claims to be ? Not purposefully staged to create this type of "pro-slaughter" people are monsters mentality?

Certainly wouldn't be the first time...people with agendas do some irrational things.

As per the horse in the video since we know nothing about it or its background I can only say the death was quick and seemingly without pain or fear. I can only hope for the same.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    I'm confused how do we know the video is what it claims to be ? Not purposefully staged to create this type of "pro-slaughter" people are monsters mentality?

Certainly wouldn't be the first time...people with agendas do some irrational things.

As per the horse in the video since we know nothing about it or its background I can only say the death was quick and seemingly without pain or fear. I can only hope for the same.
    Because the antis tell you so.
    Since they have never staged anything to further their agenda. ever.
    </sarcasm>
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The video is gone and so is the guy's FB page...

Oh, nevermind DDBeliever posted the unedited version. What an idiot and what a waste of life. That horse was cute and looked like a nice, healthy animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    BTW, here is the unedited video if anyone wants to see it. I found this on my facebook page and it's going viral. Apparently this is sparking a huge outrage and attack on the New Mexico slaughterhouse. I suspect this guy just outraged enough people that it will be blocked from opening and he has motivated the animal rights groups all over the place. It is probably the single stupidest thing anyone could do that wants to bring horse slaughter back into the US. JMO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pqiuwdaqb...%20message.mp4
    Regardless of one's stance on slaughter, that just seemed so unnecessary.
    Last edited by jenm; Mar. 21, 2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added quote
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

All I can say is I sure as heck would rather have a clean kill like that, Bang and down, than that Horrific horror movie Russian Video..
    I tell you I amy never get that out of my head. That I wish was fake, because all the American Videos that were floating while not good look like cartoons compared to that.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Because the guy in the video has been identified... as a Valley Meats Employee
    Tim Sappington.

But you're right, he has an agenda....

If you Zabasearch Tim Sappington in New Mexico you come up with a real person...address and phone number and all.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I received an email stating they are investigating this man as it appears he is known to ASSOCIATE with AR groups. Sue is taking this very seriously.

It is obviously ment to inflame those non thinking mental midgets who become enraged and will attack the new plant...

Anyone see a similarity between the anti carriage group in New York and these protestors?

This is NOT the activities of a pro slaughter group as it has nothing to do with slaughter. It is a person killing a horse.

I am amused by those who are anti slaughter stating THIS is going to be the norm for anyone involved in slaughter.
    What BS. The guy worked at the SH in Roswell, NM for years. The same SH that was suspended for violating the Humane Handling act on cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If you Zabasearch Tim Sappington in New Mexico you come up with a real person...address and phone number and all.
    Does the man identify himself in the video? I guess I'm just trying to sort out how its "known" that the person standing 30ft back is 100% Tim whats his name etc.

I mean the guy might be a total loose cannon tool bag ...who knows it all certainly seems fuzzy and full of speculation.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Does the man identify himself in the video? I guess I'm just trying to sort out how its "known" that the person standing 30ft back is 100% Tim whats his name etc.

I mean the guy might be a total loose cannon tool bag ...who knows it all certainly seems fuzzy and full of speculation.
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    VALLEY MEAT COMPANY, LLC – For further information contact A. Blair Dunn, Esq. at
    abdunn@ablairdunn-esq.com

VALLEY MEAT STATEMENT REGARDGING TIM SAPPINGTON

Valley Meat Co. does confirm that Mr. Sappington does work doing maintenance for Valley. We have seen the video showing Mr. Sappington euthanizing a horse for slaughter which we understood he did as was his legal right for his own consumption and in which he did complete the processing for consumption. We agree that his comments were regrettably crass, not
    contributing anything to this dialogue so we do not condone his statements, but he was within his lawful rights to slaughter and butcher a horse and he was not acting as an employee of the company in that action. The emotion of the situation is what is most troubling especially since the opposition is now resorting to terrorist tactics by calling in bomb threats and death threats
    against our families. And while Mr. Sappington's personal comments are inappropriate they pale in comparison to threatening to bomb people and kill their families. We respectfully request that the media and the public remember that we are discussing the processing of horses as livestock
    and no animal is worth threatening or ending a person's life.

http://ieqbassn.com/wp-content/uploa...Sappington.pdf

This is how 'charming' someone who simply performs 'maintenance' at the place is.... can't imagine how 'nice' the guys on the line are.
    And Valley Meats, if you're receiving threats, it's cause this POS had to voice his opinion in this manner. Valley has their employee Tim Sappington to blame for any bad press.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    FWIW, given that article it sounds like this guy slaughters horses for himself, so it's probably he processed and ate the horse. So to the extent there needed to be a "purpose" to his actions, it doesn't sound like the horse just died to prove a point but was also used.

He did do a good job with the euth, horse dropped immediately.
    Animals meant to be slaughtered and consumed must "bleed out". Bleeding out requires a beating heart. That is why the captive bolt gun is used; it is supposed to stun the animal into unconsciousness so they can hang it up by a leg, then slit its throat so the animal actually bleeds to death. The problem is that the captive bolt gun has a high rate of failure to stun properly with horses so they end up being hung and having their throats slit while conscious. You see horses are much more active than cattle and will throw their heads up and toss it around. It's difficult to get a good shot in the time they have to stun the horse. The "kill box" is actually a misnomer; it should be called the stun box. Depending on how fast the line is the butchering can start while the horse is still conscious. So, no, this video does not show anything about slaughter. It just shows an angry vicious POS killing a horse just to hurt those of us who devote some portion of our lives fighting animal abuse in all its forms.

I sincerely apologize to those who find my post disturbing. I wrote it because I am so terribly sick and tired of people who have not witnessed the process telling themselves and others that slaughter is "humane euthanasia". If I called a vet to euthanize my horse I sure as heck wouldn't expect them to come with a captive bolt gun, a hoist and a knife.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

11 members found this post helpful.