The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, the grossest people you will ever meet are medical students. A disgusting lot. yes, they spend their time cutting open human bodies. Many of them.
    And then they are turned lose on the public as Demi Gods in white. Then they have to relearn that patients are not a file and a disease, but a person.
    In Finzean's case, somewhere along the line there was a failure to nip the behavior in the butt, lack of supervision.

Yes, it's a mental health thing, since we are drilled from childhood on that killing is a really bad thing. So much so that we pay others (pittance at that) to do the dirty work for us.
    BTW, horse or cow, it does not matter.

Now.
    The issues with the video:
    Who made it and why.
    Of course it's on the video, the guy gives animal rights people the finger, so he has to be pro slaughter, right!

Weird that only the AR group has the video....hmmm
    I am open for correction, as always.

the cruelty part
    Nope, not cruel.
    whether or not he is 'nice' to the horse, it's irrelevant. Horse is here, standing up, gone the next moment. The way it should be. In a calm fashion.

Attitude of the guy
    again, it's the part he plays. There is no love lost here for me, I don't care much for people who are in your face in that manner.

As to blanking out the actual shot...oh the DRAMA! I am sure the redneck being hit in the chest by the beer can he slingshotted was much more graphic than the blackout scene. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qqUAU6FrM sit back and enjoy, Darwin awards in progress)

Now, the 'articles' gawd....the emotional overload....doesn't anybody write anymore?
    Doesn't anybody read with a critical eye anymore?!
    I am sorry, but as soon as you have to use derogatory words to make your point, you should be slapped with the article until you see the errors of your way!

Agenda?
    damned straight.
    and so far it looks like the AR have the bigger reasons.

and to armchair diagnose this guy in the video....good grief!

really?
    Really? First you call medical students who are dissecting cadavers disgusting. Have you ever been in a gross anatomy lab? No, I didn't think so. Yes, they have a bit of a cavalier attitude (at least it appears that way to an outsider), but most are very respectful of their cadavers. Newsflash...medical students aren't there to euthanize their patients, they are in the profession to heal them. Quite a difference, don't you think?

Further, I can't believe you have the chutzpah to post about slaughter after you were so thoroughly chastised on your ridiculous poll threads in addition to being outed as someone who doesn't own a horse and doesn't ride.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ionals-to-take

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-laying-around
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

11 members found this post helpful.

I found the video disturbing more for the man's attitude than anything else also. I mean...really? F*** you? He did seem to kill the horse humanely but the way that horse was handled was very different from a typical horse slaughterhouse where they are run through chutes and they are unrestrained inside the kill box and often frightened by the surroundings/noise, etc.... That was actually a good example of how it should be done..one at time, quiet, no stress, a pat, restrain the head gently and boom....horse dies instantly. In reality it is not anywhere near that "nice" and that is really the crux of it. Can you do that in an assembly line in a humane manner? There's an awful lot of evidence that it's very difficult to do so with horses and very little evidence that the industry cares enough to make it so.

I think that scenario is more like what you'd see at the small custom plants where I take my cattle and pigs...one at a time and a person who takes his/her time to do it right. I have no problem with that...never have.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Really? First you call medical students who are dissecting cadavers disgusting. Have you ever been in a gross anatomy lab? No, I didn't think so. Yes, they have a bit of a cavalier attitude (at least it appears that way to an outsider), but most are very respectful of their cadavers. Newsflash...medical students aren't there to euthanize their patients, they are in the profession to heal them. Quite a difference, don't you think?

Further, I can't believe you have the chutzpah to post about slaughter after you were so thoroughly chastised on your ridiculous poll threads in addition to being outed as someone who doesn't own a horse and doesn't ride.

I have been around medical students...gross bunch!

take some Tylenol, maybe it eases the pain on the nerves I struck with my polls!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Now, the 'articles' gawd....the emotional overload....doesn't anybody write anymore?
    Doesn't anybody read with a critical eye anymore?!
    I am sorry, but as soon as you have to use derogatory words to make your point, you should be slapped with the article until you see the errors of your way!
    My understanding of the video is that the guy who made it is really the one using derogatory words, etc, to make his point. That others respond in kind should not be surprising.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be really upset about the video, and even to have strong words about it. Clearly this guy thinks nothing of taking a life simply for shock value and to upset others.

I don't care if you are pro slaughter or not, surely that is not OK/normal? You don't kill things just to get a rise out of people, do you?

You're complaining about "emotional overload" but what the hell was that video if not "emotional overload?" "SCREW YOU PEOPLE I'MA KILL SOMETHING!!!" is pretty emotional and irrational behavior, don't you think?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

13 members found this post helpful.

BTW, here is the unedited video if anyone wants to see it. I found this on my facebook page and it's going viral. Apparently this is sparking a huge outrage and attack on the New Mexico slaughterhouse. I suspect this guy just outraged enough people that it will be blocked from opening and he has motivated the animal rights groups all over the place. It is probably the single stupidest thing anyone could do that wants to bring horse slaughter back into the US. JMO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pqiuwdaqb...%20message.mp4

7 members found this post helpful.

Finzean. I worked as a vet tech for years. I held hundreds of animals as they had to be put down. Very hard thing to do but most of the time it was what was needed. The worse were the ones that we had to do for animal control at times and other animals owners just didn't want anymore. It has never made me cold and each time it was horrible and still is for me. I don't think everyone that has to take an animals life often become cruel or have mental issues over time. I think that is prewired in some to just have mental issues and this just makes it show. I for one have been there and done it but I still value all life and my animals and others are still precious to me.

I watched video above up until the shot. Couldn't watch that. Don't want to see that because it will take a while to unsee that for me. It still hurts my heart that all animals just not horses have to be killed because we can't stop breeding or people change their minds etc. I'm not against slaughter if it's done correctly and humanely because I've seen to many starving horses that are no better off.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

God what was the point, The horse looked like my old horse I lost 2 years ago this month.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    FWIW, given that article it sounds like this guy slaughters horses for himself, so it's probably he processed and ate the horse. So to the extent there needed to be a "purpose" to his actions, it doesn't sound like the horse just died to prove a point but was also used.

He did do a good job with the euth, horse dropped immediately.
    Doesn't look like the horse is anywhere that it can be hung up and bled out.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    Have you every been in a slaughterhouse? You should if you eat meat.
    I think anyone who eats should know where their food comes from, how is was raised, etc. We are meat eating, meat raising locavores at my house. We know who is in the freezer, how it died at whose hands, etc. Our critters aren't slaughtered in anger, as a political statement, etc.

Yeah, this guy may've dressed this horse out after he slaughtered it; consumed it, had some friends over for cold PBR and cole slaw. He *might* in NO way represent anyone working in a slaughterhouse ever in the history of slaughtering or euthing animals. Big fat so what. It doesn't take away from the fact that in his attempt to prove a point, the one he proved is that he missed the chane to prove his point. So many ways this might've been done in a truly educational and respectful way that might have compelled folks to consider his perspective.

Then again, like so many others with thumbs and access to a little technology, perhaps his abilities to comprehend & communicate are greatly limited by his own ego and limitations.

OH - and FWIW I'm not saying FEAR all those who work in the above mentioned capacities...just stating the facts of what seems to be an overlooked aspect of this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Finzean. I worked as a vet tech for years. I held hundreds of animals as they had to be put down. Very hard thing to do but most of the time it was what was needed. The worse were the ones that we had to do for animal control at times and other animals owners just didn't want anymore. It has never made me cold and each time it was horrible and still is for me. I don't think everyone that has to take an animals life often become cruel or have mental issues over time. I think that is prewired in some to just have mental issues and this just makes it show. I for one have been there and done it but I still value all life and my animals and others are still precious to me.

I watched video above up until the shot. Couldn't watch that. Don't want to see that because it will take a while to unsee that for me. It still hurts my heart that all animals just not horses have to be killed because we can't stop breeding or people change their minds etc. I'm not against slaughter if it's done correctly and humanely because I've seen to many starving horses that are no better off.
    Agree with what you are saying as the same was true for me. I can't count the number of euths I was involved in and some were just horrible for a variety of reasons. But the bad eggs are out there...the trick is oversight. There's got to be something in place to ensure that the wired to be whack jobs are no where near this industry. As I write that I'm simply reminded that people are arguing some sort of greater oversight over medical malpractice, firearm accessibility, etc.

The situation I was a part of fixing was absolutely the exception, not the rule. Our situation was so screwed up that CNN was sneaking in w/hidden cameras with the help of an employee on the inside who was the primary whistle blower about the psycho tech issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Agree with what you are saying as the same was true for me. I can't count the number of euths I was involved in and some were just horrible for a variety of reasons. But the bad eggs are out there...the trick is oversight. There's got to be something in place to ensure that the wired to be whack jobs are no where near this industry. As I write that I'm simply reminded that people are arguing some sort of greater oversight over medical malpractice, firearm accessibility, etc.

The situation I was a part of fixing was absolutely the exception, not the rule. Our situation was so screwed up that CNN was sneaking in w/hidden cameras with the help of an employee on the inside who was the primary whistle blower about the psycho tech issues...
    They don't want oversight. They don't want whistleblowers or cameras. Instead several states are passing Ag Gag rules to make it illegal to film or take photos. Where's the oversight then?

8 members found this post helpful.

I would rather read a post from Alagirl than those who may (MAY) own a horse..refuse to "prove" it and put little thought into their posts other than to repeat old hysteria from issues BEFORE slaughter ceased..and try and present them as if they are current.

Born and Raised in Kentucky?

2 members found this post helpful.

They don't want oversight. They don't want whistleblowers or cameras. Instead several states are passing Ag Gag rules to make it illegal to film or take photos. Where's the oversight then?
    AND you continue to IGNORE that the Canadian slaughter plants HAVE videos running during ALL kills..from the horses entering the chutes until the bleeding trough. It is good for the security and also to make sure the horses are processed as humanely as possible

I expect the same will occur in the U.S. as that has beenb discussed in great detail

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I would rather read a post from Alagirl than those who may (MAY) own a horse..refuse to "prove" it and put little thought into their posts other than to repeat old hysteria from issues BEFORE slaughter ceased..and try and present them as if they are current.

Born and Raised in Kentucky?
    You do like to cast stones don't you? Suppose I was born and raised in Kentucky? Is that something I should be ashamed of?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    BTW, here is the unedited video if anyone wants to see it. I found this on my facebook page and it's going viral. Apparently this is sparking a huge outrage and attack on the New Mexico slaughterhouse. I suspect this guy just outraged enough people that it will be blocked from opening and he has motivated the animal rights groups all over the place. It is probably the single stupidest thing anyone could do that wants to bring horse slaughter back into the US. JMO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pqiuwdaqb...%20message.mp4
    I received an email stating they are investigating this man as it appears he is known to ASSOCIATE with AR groups. Sue is taking this very seriously.

It is obviously ment to inflame those non thinking mental midgets who become enraged and will attack the new plant...

Anyone see a similarity between the anti carriage group in New York and these protestors?

This is NOT the activities of a pro slaughter group as it has nothing to do with slaughter. It is a person killing a horse.

I am amused by those who are anti slaughter stating THIS is going to be the norm for anyone involved in slaughter.

You do like to cast stones don't you? Suppose I was born and raised in Kentucky? Is that something I should be ashamed of?
    Read the other thread You have been casting stones for as long as you have been posting

Default Exactly!!

Thank you for this!!

Who, exactly, is going to make sure this is done humanely?
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Do you mean Sue Wallis?

Such an honest woman. just beyond reproach, oh yes.

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I received an email stating they are investigating this man as it appears he is known to ASSOCIATE with AR groups. Sue is taking this very seriously.

It is obviously ment to inflame those non thinking mental midgets who become enraged and will attack the new plant...

Anyone see a similarity between the anti carriage group in New York and these protestors?

This is NOT the activities of a pro slaughter group as it has nothing to do with slaughter. It is a person killing a horse.

I am amused by those who are anti slaughter stating THIS is going to be the norm for anyone involved in slaughter.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much per hour the people who kill make? I can't imagine having a job like this and living with myself.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    Have you every been in a slaughterhouse? You should if you eat meat.
    Yes
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.