The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 993
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,979

    Default

    I am sorry if the horse did not die quickly..but it does demonstrate that the anti slaughter are out too lunch when they say dead bolt is not 100% so it should never be used. Shots to the head are the only way.

    I still think this was staged..by the anti-slaughter group

    The guy was just killing a horse. That has NOTHING to do with slaughter and its process



  2. #22
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2005
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Posts
    6,280

    Default

    Not watching the video. Yes, the guy's attitude is reprehensible and does not help the cause of humane or euthanasia by gunshot.

    I make a point of NOT watching gruesome videos from countries that I consider less evolved than we are. We can only control so much...



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Not watching the video. Yes, the guy's attitude is reprehensible and does not help the cause of humane or euthanasia by gunshot.

    I make a point of NOT watching gruesome videos from countries that I consider less evolved than we are. We can only control so much...
    you an watch it, I promise. You won't see anything gruesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in Texas YEEHAW!
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Please read here....

    http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress....compassionate/

    ...for the story behind the video. This is the man who is going to be working at the proposed NM slaughterhouse. Killing a horse for no other reason than to be an asshat.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2002
    Location
    The horse country of VA
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Liberty, I did see the original video. Horse went down instantly. The people who say the horse didn't die instantaneously saw the legs twitching - normal nervous system reaction.
    Okay, thanks!
    Equus Keepus Brokus



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    I didn't watch the video, so does he use a bolt gun? Also, as far as this demonstrating anything relevant to slaughter, this is a far cry from what I personally object to about slaughter. This horse is tame, and stood still to be shot according to the posters. It didn't spend a few weeks going from auction to auction and crammed in trucks with strange horses getting beat up. So to argue that because a horse dies instantly from being shot, voila! slaughter really is humane! Uh, no. You can all go shoot horses all day long for all I care as a means of euthanasia. That's not got anything to do with the slaughter industry and the way it abuses horses.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns



    12 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    Please read here....

    http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress....compassionate/

    ...for the story behind the video. This is the man who is going to be working at the proposed NM slaughterhouse. Killing a horse for no other reason than to be an asshat.
    I am sorry, but there is so much hyperbole in the first few paragraphs....extremely graphic? Oh dear me....if that is the extremest they have seen, they fail in life. You see more drastic stuff on Discovery, Learning channel and animal planet, when the wildebeest becomes lunch for Mr Lion....

    layers over layers of emotional verbiage...I wish high schools would teach critical reading skills....

    I am sorry, but the story is less than credible.

    and while searching for the guy this came up
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...boys-roam.html

    happily mixing up all issues....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2011
    Location
    East Longmeadow, MA
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    I don't believe it is too early for wine.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    I don't believe it is too early for wine.
    Never
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoldChance View Post
    I sucked it up and watched the video too.

    The guys attitude bothered me a lot. The reason behind shooting the horse (to prove a point) bothers me a LOT.

    BUT.

    That cute little chestnut was led over, patted, and remained calm, comfortable, and clueless. Despite his shit-rotten attitude and assholistic message, the guy actually did take the time to make sure the horse was comfortable. One minute he was hanging out happily, the next he was dead. The shot was well placed. The horse was the furthest thing from panicked, scared, or hurting.
    I wish all horses could go as quietly.
    This.
    Euth by gunshot can be humane. If the horse isn't stressed, and shot is accurate then it's fine.
    The guy makes 2 points...gunshot euth can be humane, and even an ignorant jerk can learn how to do it.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    I didn't watch the video, so does he use a bolt gun? Also, as far as this demonstrating anything relevant to slaughter, this is a far cry from what I personally object to about slaughter. This horse is tame, and stood still to be shot according to the posters. It didn't spend a few weeks going from auction to auction and crammed in trucks with strange horses getting beat up. So to argue that because a horse dies instantly from being shot, voila! slaughter really is humane! Uh, no. You can all go shoot horses all day long for all I care as a means of euthanasia. That's not got anything to do with the slaughter industry and the way it abuses horses.
    THis^^^.
    I wonder if this is the same guy that shot the bull 4 times, and resulted in the SH getting suspended for inhumane acts...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,979

    Default

    A horse going from auction to auction has nothing to do with slaughter.

    When a kill buyer makes a purchase they do not "usually" put it back in an auction...exception...they discover the horse has a lot of talent and they resell it so it does NOT go to slaughter.

    Gunshots have NOTHING to do with North American slaughter plants.

    Shooting a bullet in a confined area has too many risks to the humans AND other horses (or livestock)



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2000
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    I don't have time to read through all of this but the biggest concern here should NOT be that the horse is dead...hell, he might be better off dead than in the hands of some idiot who would use this event/video to flip off the anti-slaughter folks. The biggest concern is the guy's attitude.

    There is WELL DOCUMENTED information about the mental health of people who work in situations such as slaughter houses (the "trigger puller") and animal shelters - animal control, vets, etc...anywhere that death is prevalent or common. When these people no longer see and respect the life they are about to take - for WHATEVER the reason that life is being taken - VERY bad things can and do happen.

    One case in point that I had the unfortunate privilege of witnessing first hand:
    County run animal shelter was in a constant state of conflict, turmoil, etc. from the inside. County officials couldn't keep up with the complaints, etc. and an "investigation" was done as part of a push to privatize the shelter. The technician staff at the animal shelter was under the umbrella of a DVM who was rarely if ever on site. The techs had attended workshops & certification classes that enabled them to administer rabies vax in addition to euthanasia solutions without the vet having to actually be present. All of these workers had been on staff for some years at the point where I became involved with this. These people would behave inhumanely towards animals they were about to euthanize, yanking them around - sometimes injuring them, hang them from kennel slips, do cardiac sticks when it was unnecessary and then screw them up, use catch poles as torture devices and then use the Polaroid kept on hand for the purpose of gathering evidence in cruelty cases to take photos of animals posed in completely disgusting ways. They delighted in taking the heads off animals being sent for rabies testing, having contests of sort involving machetes, etc. How do I know this? Because I was part of the evidence gathering team - I am not now nor ever have been a member of any animal rights group. I was asked to be involved because of my experience as a vet tech. These folks I witnessed had long ago dissociated themselves from the life at the end of the needle. I wouldn't have treated animals that were trying to do me in the way these fools did. We watched 2 of them repeatedly antagonize and hit 2 chow chows on 10 day stray hold and openly discuss how they were going to love killing them on day 10. Again - they had NO respect for the life they were unfortunately going to have to take b/c the dogs were so aggressive. End of story - they were ALL fired - the entire technical staff. The only reason they weren't charged w/misdemeanor animal cruelty was b/c the county wanted to save face as all this had happened under their watch.

    As for the man in this horse killing video - just because he is petting the horse doesn't mean he is being kind to the horse. Everything else about him speaks volumes about his true intentions in killing the horse . He doesn't respect that this is life at the end of the barrel. He is just using the horse's death as an "F you!" to the anti-slaughter folks. It was not really done for the purposes of education. There are a thousand other ways to do that.

    I realize that this post will be read by some through a lens of tunnel vision about slaughter. Spend your days taking life and see how it affects you after months of doing it, then talk to me about taking the life of any living creature. I'm far from advocating that slaughter be done away with, so spare me the obnoxious comments. I see this issue from every angle. I do NOT have a problem with killing done humanely BUT - when the dissociation starts, problems are sure to follow...the empirical data proves it. And the ones who suffer most ...well, one might argue the person who is suffering the dissociation. But I would submit that it is those who suffer the effects of the dissociated person (whether it be hog, chicken, cat, dog, horse, cow...whatever). There is also the issue of "compassion fatigue" but I'm pretty sure I've exceeded work count with this...

    Anyway, pro-slaughter or not, dead horses are not the only aspect of this convoluted issue that demands our attention. For those who so easily see this as black or white...the reality is so far from that...time to get out of the river.


    13 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,434

    Default

    Those were my thoughts as well. Thank you for writing that.


    Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Ok I was brave and watched the video. I am pro slaughter but would like to shoot that guy in the head.
    He walks up a cute little chestnut with a blaze, rubs its head and shoulders, and says "all you animal activists, F--k you" the screen goes blank but you hear the shot and the fall, and you can see the blurred animal on the ground when the screen comes back on. Then the guy says "good"
    The only "good" I saw was that the horse did immediately fall and die.
    The guys attitude bothered me more than anything else. If it had been a horse that looked like it needed to be put down ie lame, old and the video was presented as "look how quick and painless this is" it would have gone a lot farther.
    IMHO that guy is just an asshat
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2001
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    There is WELL DOCUMENTED information about the mental health of people who work in situations such as slaughter houses (the "trigger puller") and animal shelters - animal control, vets, etc...anywhere that death is prevalent or common. When these people no longer see and respect the life they are about to take - for WHATEVER the reason that life is being taken - VERY bad things can and do happen.
    yes- people simply can't handle dealing out death after death. Some people "disassociate" and treat all living things like inanimate objects; others become terribly sadistic towards the animals; a few completely break down and develop PTSD symptoms. You see it in slaughterhouses, research facilities, high-kill-rate shelters, even in wars, anywhere where killing happens a lot.
    Which category (sadistic vs. disassociated vs. PTSD) this man has fallen into isn't quite clear from that video, but he has clearly stepped over the line sometime in the fast.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2012
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I don't have time to read through all of this but the biggest concern here should NOT be that the horse is dead...hell, he might be better off dead than in the hands of some idiot who would use this event/video to flip off the anti-slaughter folks. The biggest concern is the guy's attitude.

    There is WELL DOCUMENTED information about the mental health of people who work in situations such as slaughter houses (the "trigger puller") and animal shelters - animal control, vets, etc...anywhere that death is prevalent or common. When these people no longer see and respect the life they are about to take - for WHATEVER the reason that life is being taken - VERY bad things can and do happen.

    One case in point that I had the unfortunate privilege of witnessing first hand:
    County run animal shelter was in a constant state of conflict, turmoil, etc. from the inside. County officials couldn't keep up with the complaints, etc. and an "investigation" was done as part of a push to privatize the shelter. The technician staff at the animal shelter was under the umbrella of a DVM who was rarely if ever on site. The techs had attended workshops & certification classes that enabled them to administer rabies vax in addition to euthanasia solutions without the vet having to actually be present. All of these workers had been on staff for some years at the point where I became involved with this. These people would behave inhumanely towards animals they were about to euthanize, yanking them around - sometimes injuring them, hang them from kennel slips, do cardiac sticks when it was unnecessary and then screw them up, use catch poles as torture devices and then use the Polaroid kept on hand for the purpose of gathering evidence in cruelty cases to take photos of animals posed in completely disgusting ways. They delighted in taking the heads off animals being sent for rabies testing, having contests of sort involving machetes, etc. How do I know this? Because I was part of the evidence gathering team - I am not now nor ever have been a member of any animal rights group. I was asked to be involved because of my experience as a vet tech. These folks I witnessed had long ago dissociated themselves from the life at the end of the needle. I wouldn't have treated animals that were trying to do me in the way these fools did. We watched 2 of them repeatedly antagonize and hit 2 chow chows on 10 day stray hold and openly discuss how they were going to love killing them on day 10. Again - they had NO respect for the life they were unfortunately going to have to take b/c the dogs were so aggressive. End of story - they were ALL fired - the entire technical staff. The only reason they weren't charged w/misdemeanor animal cruelty was b/c the county wanted to save face as all this had happened under their watch.

    As for the man in this horse killing video - just because he is petting the horse doesn't mean he is being kind to the horse. Everything else about him speaks volumes about his true intentions in killing the horse . He doesn't respect that this is life at the end of the barrel. He is just using the horse's death as an "F you!" to the anti-slaughter folks. It was not really done for the purposes of education. There are a thousand other ways to do that.

    I realize that this post will be read by some through a lens of tunnel vision about slaughter. Spend your days taking life and see how it affects you after months of doing it, then talk to me about taking the life of any living creature. I'm far from advocating that slaughter be done away with, so spare me the obnoxious comments. I see this issue from every angle. I do NOT have a problem with killing done humanely BUT - when the dissociation starts, problems are sure to follow...the empirical data proves it. And the ones who suffer most ...well, one might argue the person who is suffering the dissociation. But I would submit that it is those who suffer the effects of the dissociated person (whether it be hog, chicken, cat, dog, horse, cow...whatever). There is also the issue of "compassion fatigue" but I'm pretty sure I've exceeded work count with this...

    Anyway, pro-slaughter or not, dead horses are not the only aspect of this convoluted issue that demands our attention. For those who so easily see this as black or white...the reality is so far from that...time to get out of the river.
    Finzean is quite right that the real issue this thread raises is the societal cost of social pathology.

    The video was obviously made by someone really sick, with an agenda to shock. I would not want that person living near me, or near a school, or being allowed to purchase a gun. Imagine being the wife or child of that individual.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Finzean is quite right that the real issue this thread raises is the societal cost of social pathology.

    The video was obviously made by someone really sick, with an agenda to shock. I would not want that person living near me, or near a school, or being allowed to purchase a gun. Imagine being the wife or child of that individual.

    So we need to fear those who work in ALL kill shelters, or ALL chicken, pig, lamb, or cattle slaughter facilities, too, right?
    Or just ship ALL those animals over the border so it's NIMBY and another society's problem?
    Very broad brush.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    yes- people simply can't handle dealing out death after death. Some people "disassociate" and treat all living things like inanimate objects; others become terribly sadistic towards the animals; a few completely break down and develop PTSD symptoms. You see it in slaughterhouses, research facilities, high-kill-rate shelters, even in wars, anywhere where killing happens a lot.
    Which category (sadistic vs. disassociated vs. PTSD) this man has fallen into isn't quite clear from that video, but he has clearly stepped over the line sometime in the fast.
    well, the grossest people you will ever meet are medical students. A disgusting lot. yes, they spend their time cutting open human bodies. Many of them.
    And then they are turned lose on the public as Demi Gods in white. Then they have to relearn that patients are not a file and a disease, but a person.
    In Finzean's case, somewhere along the line there was a failure to nip the behavior in the butt, lack of supervision.

    Yes, it's a mental health thing, since we are drilled from childhood on that killing is a really bad thing. So much so that we pay others (pittance at that) to do the dirty work for us.
    BTW, horse or cow, it does not matter.

    Now.
    The issues with the video:
    Who made it and why.
    Of course it's on the video, the guy gives animal rights people the finger, so he has to be pro slaughter, right!

    Weird that only the AR group has the video....hmmm
    I am open for correction, as always.

    the cruelty part
    Nope, not cruel.
    whether or not he is 'nice' to the horse, it's irrelevant. Horse is here, standing up, gone the next moment. The way it should be. In a calm fashion.

    Attitude of the guy
    again, it's the part he plays. There is no love lost here for me, I don't care much for people who are in your face in that manner.

    As to blanking out the actual shot...oh the DRAMA! I am sure the redneck being hit in the chest by the beer can he slingshotted was much more graphic than the blackout scene. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qqUAU6FrM sit back and enjoy, Darwin awards in progress)


    Now, the 'articles' gawd....the emotional overload....doesn't anybody write anymore?
    Doesn't anybody read with a critical eye anymore?!
    I am sorry, but as soon as you have to use derogatory words to make your point, you should be slapped with the article until you see the errors of your way!

    Agenda?
    damned straight.
    and so far it looks like the AR have the bigger reasons.



    and to armchair diagnose this guy in the video....good grief!

    really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,338

    Default

    FWIW, given that article it sounds like this guy slaughters horses for himself, so it's probably he processed and ate the horse. So to the extent there needed to be a "purpose" to his actions, it doesn't sound like the horse just died to prove a point but was also used.

    He did do a good job with the euth, horse dropped immediately.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Have you every been in a slaughterhouse? You should if you eat meat.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 347
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2012, 07:54 PM
  2. Stallion Book Photos: Head shot, Conf shot, Action shot???
    By Emy in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec. 25, 2010, 09:57 PM
  4. Horse shot in the head.
    By Bluey in forum Off Course
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jan. 23, 2010, 11:30 PM
  5. Replies: 231
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2007, 12:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness