The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Well I'm sure he'll have a freezer full of food while he's off trying to find a new job.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I think most of the people that post about not wanting a horse "Slaughtered " are misguided and feed off pure emotion.
    I love animals, I have done my level best to save tossed out dogs and cats, treated my own horses well and when their life was no longer quality they were humanely put down in my presence.
    Dogs and cats are a whole nother can of worms.
    I don't even know why I am having this conversation.
    Those that are totally opposed to slaughter, seem to be opposed to even humane ending of a life.
    In all these threads over the years I have never read one anti give a logical practical answer to what should be done.
    And adopting them all is not the answer.
    People could go buy every horse at the auction priced below 1000. and slaughter buyers would still buy enough to meet their contracts with the SH's. It would just raise the price per lb, and result in more breeding. Because SHs aren't buying excess horses to help with a horse overpopulation problem. They are buying exactly the amount they have a demand for as horsemeat. So the people that say, "You don't want the horses to go to kill, go buy them" are incorrect. As is the premise that people have that if they buy a horse from a kill pen, they are saving a life. They are saving THAT horse's life, but another one will take it's place. You could buy up all of the low priced horses at every auction in the country for 2 weeks, and the same number of horses will still be slaughtered. It just might cost the KB more.
    Eagerly awaiting Jan 20th, 2017. Drain the swamp.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    Beverly, I agree that correct shooting is the most humane way to kill a horse, and the horse in the video appeared to not know what hit him. But do you really approve of this guy and his motives for killing this horse? It wasn't to demonstrate that a horse can be killed humanely. It was a sick way to try and make a point.
    There are sadly a whole lot of sickos in this world when it comes to animal welfare. At least in this case the horse didn't suffer. And one cannot draw any conclusions from a brief look as to whether the horse was indeed 'perfectly healthy.' I have helped vets euthanize horses that would have looked 'just fine' in a video like that, but were in fact in need of euthanasia for very real medical reasons. And frankly, I'd rather see a perfectly healthy horse euthanized than a whole lot of other scenarios, starting with abandonment.

Lynwood, indeed I've been schooled by a vet on how to euthanize a horse that way in the back country. But in my opinion it can be dangerous for the human in some cases- depends on the location of the injury as I expect you know.

Stolen Virtue, you are very sadly mistaken if you think vets are universally 'just a phone call away.' Where I ride on 'day' rides, for example out in the west desert to admire the feral horses, you won't get cell phone coverage. If a human is injured, you need to be prepared to find the nearest mountaintop or random spot where you can get a signal- and you'd better have a GPS unit with you because the medical helicopters will not come unless you can provide precise coordinates.

In such places, if you could even get a vet on the phone and he or she was instantly able to drop everything and come, he or she would be 3 or more hours away and no, I won't let a horse suffer anywhere near that long. Camping in back country, no, sorry, you aren't going to get veterinary attention unless you happen to have a vet on the ride with you, end of story. And if you have to euthanize on Forest land, you must disperse the remains.

If you think slitting a horse's throat to prevent suffering is sick, well, that tells me you are sadly misinformed- if you think blood automatically equates with suffering then I would strongly suggest you seek information from your vet and maybe take the trouble to learn a little more.

BTW as a foxhunter since 1971, I have yet to go out with any hunt wherein 'someone' (at least the huntsman) is carrying a gun. It's not something you advertise with a neon sign so perhaps you've never been in the know.

Mandy, you DO have high entertainment value! And thanks for helping me win a little side bet on predictable reactions to my post!

And right there you prove one of the biggest lies pro-slaughter people put out - that only the old/sick and lame horses go to slaughter.
    The 2nd piece of BS is that its all for the good of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    By this logic men shouldn't be OB/GYNs because they don't have vaginas. So what if a person is active here that doesn't currently have a horse. Half the people on this board just parrot info they pick up other places. (Alagirl, not lumping you in with the parrots. However, you could be a parrothead for all I know. Fins up?)

There are tons of people on here that debate farming that aren't farmers. That debate slaughter yet have never been in a slaughter house. That talk about how horrible racing barns are, yet have never set foot in a shedrow

We have a massive slaughterhouse 20 miles from here. JBS, some of you may have heard of it. There is a waiting list to work there because the pay is very competitive for the area and the benefits package is great. Yes, even on the kill floor, people are lining up to work. The guy in the video didn't make a great impression, but when you get criticized day in and day out for what you do, when there are groups that actively work to take away the way you make a living, it gets frustrating. I would love to give the middle finger to RARAs. I had to really make an effort when sitting in a CO house committee hearing 2 weeks ago to not tell some of them how stupid they were.

Every time a horse slaughter thread comes up half of you argue that if a person wanted to kill a horse and eat it, it is different than a slaughter house, and they should have that right. Someone does it and you all have a hissy fit.

As for the comments about how nice the horse looks, if you had the choice between eating a ribby, sick animal and a healthy one, which would you pick? Of course if the guy is doing it on his own time, for his own use he is going to get a nice one.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Good grief. Shooting a horse in the head to kill it is about as humane as it gets. I prefer it to injection, myself.

When riding in remote areas we always make sure someone has a gun just in case. If a horse suffers a catastrophic injury we sure don't want it to suffer.

When I whipped in foxhunting back east and carried a pistol loaded with rat shot, I always had bullets in my vest pocket for the same reason. Yes, I will shoot my own horse to spare it suffering. If I don't have a gun, I'll slit its throat with a knife.

I perceive that many of you think that is just 'awful,' so you'd be standing there wringing your hands and sobbing and allowing your horse to suffer until 'someone else' takes care of the problem.

Just like many of you supported the slaughter ban to force horses to travel further to their deaths. If it isn't in your back yard, you don't care what happens to them.

Shame on you.
    Actually MOST anti slaughter people are fine with euth by gunshot, and even someone eating their own horse. We are against COMMERCIAL horse slaughter for human consumption, becuase there will NEVER be a SH in every city, or local abbatoirs, where you can calmly lead your horse in and have someone shoot it. We don't, as a general rule in the US, eat horses, so there will NEVER be a bunch of local abbatoirs. So you have a few huge SH who's only motive is profit, and kills as many as possible as quickly as possible resulting in stress, misses, and inaccurate stunning. Then you have the lack of ethics of many KB, who get their horses by deceit, ship horses in crowded conditions with no food/water, and dump rejects in the desert at the border. Horses injured at auction/feedlots are left to suffer untreated. (See auction in NM where 3 or 4 horses were left to suffer for days while USDA vet and Livestock inspector, auction employees did nothing as just one example. See court cases for Baker, and Carter for transport violations where horses went down on trailer and driver was aware and continued to drive thru 3 states while horses were trampled to death. See also, animal angels investigative reports.)
    So this jerk killing his horse mouthing profanities, doesn't bother many of us for how he killed or ate his horse. The attitude is what I take issue with, and would agree with the poster that wouldn't want him living nearby.
    Eagerly awaiting Jan 20th, 2017. Drain the swamp.

12 members found this post helpful.

The guy in the video is a douche. Even if he's mad at the world, it's called being the better person. But you have to start with some class to stay classy, and that might be the issue here. He's done nothing but weaken his own side and give his detractors more ammo. Good job, you sure showed them! /sarcasm.

As far as actually shooting a horse? I'd rather euth that way if it was an option. I had a chemical euth go wrong once. If someone shot a full clip into the horse, reloaded, and took another full clip to finish the job it would STILL be more humane that what my horse went through. Nothing is 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Lynnwood, you have always had a bad attitude towards anyone who would dare disagree with you. We all understand you and your rude attitude.

Boy, that's calling the kettle black, SV. Erm, is that PC nowadays?? I'm not sure. Don't really care though, trying to be halfway funny given the subject of this whole posting.

Who I hunt with is also none of your business and no, riders in the local hunt do not carry guns nor does anyone offer to slit the throat of any lame horse, but hey I guess you must feel that those services could help you with your carriage horses.
    Just curious, really I am, but how do you really know someone isn't packing. I have a small pistol which, unless I told someone, no one would ever know I'm carrying.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 22, 2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Shot him in the head and then beat him to back up?

Guess the shot didn't kill him...wonder if they immediately had him shod and did bick lick with him after.

As for horses watching others die..??? HUMAN emotions. the horsey does not go MAMA...MAMA...or Uncle Pete..what is happening.

I had to euthanize a yearling due to injuries after a fall on the ice and his mama..who he was with for the winter was with him when he dropped. She went out of the barn..returned and sniffed him..repeated twice and then it was over.

I would think you would applaud the Canadian slaughter over the Russian.

You throw in words...slipping and breaking legs?

I haven't seen the video but trying to hit horses in an open area with a sledge hammer? When I saw them at Tersk, they had cutes, the same as for their cattle.

Again..A video like you are saying exists only re-enforces WHY slaugher should be opened in the U.S. where it can be regulated.

But not to worry....Angela CLEARLY STATES All slaughter will be shut down in July as no horses from North America will qualify for the passport system (which is already in operation)
    Fear creates fear. If the general feeling in the slaughterhouse with horses slipping and breaking legs, it creates herd panic and fear.

And yes, they do KNOW that, that's very known in the horse world.

Beverley; I don't know you, thankfully. I also do not ride with a hunt that carries guns or knives to kill horses or people for that matter. I also do not go out where vets are not available so your skill at killing horses is of no value for me. I do think you are delusional of your value to the equine world but clearly posting on COTH of your skills in slitting horses throats seems to float your boat.

Shooting horses for utube, well it seems some of you think that is fine for the pro-slaughter crowd. There was a reason for chemical euthanasia hope some of you don't have to understand why that process was developed......oh yah, the political correct process. I keep all of my animals, it is times like these on COTH when posters like Beverely and Lynnwood remind me how others feel about "pets" and "livestock"......

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post

Just curious, really I am, but how do you really know someone isn't packing. I have a small pistol which, unless I told someone, no one would ever know I'm carrying.
    So glad I don't live anywhere near the NW ! Trying to be funny ? Now that IS funny.

So glad I don't live anywhere near the NW ! Trying to be funny ? Now that IS funny.
    You didn't answer how you would know unless someone told you they were or not packing heat. How would you?

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    Fear creates fear. If the general feeling in the slaughterhouse with horses slipping and breaking legs, it creates herd panic and fear.

And yes, they do KNOW that, that's very known in the horse world.
    Okay, for the gazillionth time, I've been in a SH, in the kill chamber because I used to buy some of the orphan foals. Now this was back in the day, years ago before there was much regulation going on or people paying that much attention to slaughtering horses.

The horses waiting 'their turn' in the pens right outside the door (a sliding door opening from the bottom to top, a sliding door type thing) just stood there. The only time I personally saw any skirmish was when maybe some studs were put in the pens next to each other or in the same pen. The door opened, a horse was shooshed up inside the door, the door slid closed. The door opened, a horse went in, the door shut. Just like clockwork. They didn't want broken legs and upset horses. Harder to deal with. It's a business and 'just do it'. There was NOT a big fear rippling through the horses. Most of them were snoozing in the sun until their turn.

I once saw a vid of a lot of horses inside some building, the 'chosen' one was turned into a stall, was shot then fell down and out a chute. The other horses in the herd were standing there, looking at the wall or each other.

The only thing I ever saw (I was there more than several times getting the foals) was one hired hand who thought it funny to see the foals ran over by the big horses. He was gone in a NY minute. Saw him once and he was gone the next time I was there.

So, now, if the horses are upset, someone is doing something to them to MAKE them upset and make good copy. If left alone, the horses just stand there. They aren't thinking five minutes into the future.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you are going to be pro-slaughter, you should be proud of it. Stand up and tell how you shot the animal, then slit it's throat and then hung it up by the hind legs, all within a few minutes, while the animal is still jerking. Of course sending it to the slaughter house allows them to use the bolt gun, and then sling it up and slit the thread to drain out the blood while it's still kicking. Some local cattle farms have their own slaughter house, and have the cattle hanging in full view of those purchasing meat.

Too many people don't want to think of how animals are slaughtered.

The same is true with human deaths. It's so neat and clean on tv. In real life, there's lots of jerking and pain before that not-so-quick death in most shootings and knifings. There might be fewer wars if people had to see the carnage. Just as there might be fewer meat eaters if people had to go out and raised and kill their own.

8 members found this post helpful.

Just as there might be fewer meat eaters if people had to go out and raised and kill their own.
    doubt it. vegans are a relatively recent invention.
    Personally, I think it's rather wasteful to just throw away all that meat on the hoof. If the horse is unwanted and is going to die anyway, might as well use it.
    And yes, I've seen animals slaughtered and have killed some myself. I eat meat and have no plans to stop.

Who I hunt with is also none of your business and no, riders in the local hunt do not carry guns nor does anyone offer to slit the throat of any lame horse, but hey I guess you must feel that those services could help you with your carriage horses.

hahahhahaha! Do you really expect people on this BB to believe you hunt? That's a real knee slapper.

You are an admitted hard core animal rights type. Which is ok if that's what you want to be. In every thread about animal welfare you chime in; usually with hateful or uninformed rhetoric (often parroted rhetoric, by the way. We can tell).

Let's not get too carried away with the prevaricating. OK? Because anyone who does foxhunt knows your statement to be false. We do.

If you are willing to compromise the welfare of your horse, that's your choice. But those who do ride their horses very far from help, are often prepared to end that horses suffering should the worst happen.
    Last edited by JSwan; Mar. 22, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

10 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I see the light, I think the train is coming! Another COTH Trainwreck in the making!

I knew on page one this was going to be a trainwreck.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Or head cheese??? Blech
    The way the world is going, unless technology again saves our bacon, we are headed for a time where most will be glad to find something to eat and not be what others have left to eat.

When any animals, including humans, find times of scarcity, you forget in a hurry about being too finicky about what you may or may not choose to eat.

In other words, easy to say something is icky with a full belly and a pantry full of food, forgetting humans are where we are because we found ways to use everything and not waste, a seemingly forgotten by generations that cry over a plastic bottle not recycled, but throw away a whole horse so wantonly as the antis insist we need to do, on some strange ideas of what we can or can't use once more after death.

My impression, this fellow has spent months hearing the plant is ready to open and do business and all that brings and, getting ready to butcher one horse for his use, many do so with all kinds of critters in the SW, decided to do the equivalent of "here, hold my beer, watch this", which is totally inappropriate with the controversy over horse slaughter so hot.
    He intended to show how the process works and ended up botching not the killing, but how he presented himself while doing it.
    Clearly not one of the brightest ideas he ever had.

For those that are clutching their pearls, well, behind a computer, you can grandstand all you want.
    If you ever lived around animals, you would know that shooting or any other way to euthanize when you have a purpose for it can be done any of many ways.
    Once talking about that, our vet explained about how to do so in a pinch by cutting certain arteries where you can get to the injured horse, if nothing else is available.
    Thankfully we always had a handy gun the few times we had to.
    Our old vet preferred a gun to chemical euthanasia for several reasons, the contamination of the carcass one of them.

As for who brought up medical students, you don't know the half of it.
    I have signed my body to go to the local medical school and have told my Dr I will tattoo "this side up" in the appropriate place, so they have some to go by.
    Of course they are taught to be very respectful of bodies and body parts, but at that age, there is just so much you can direct young minds.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    I knew on page one this was going to be a trainwreck.

I knew just by reading the title.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I knew just by reading the title.
    Yeah, that too.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!