The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Good grief. Shooting a horse in the head to kill it is about as humane as it gets. I prefer it to injection, myself.

When riding in remote areas we always make sure someone has a gun just in case. If a horse suffers a catastrophic injury we sure don't want it to suffer.

When I whipped in foxhunting back east and carried a pistol loaded with rat shot, I always had bullets in my vest pocket for the same reason. Yes, I will shoot my own horse to spare it suffering. If I don't have a gun, I'll slit its throat with a knife.

I perceive that many of you think that is just 'awful,' so you'd be standing there wringing your hands and sobbing and allowing your horse to suffer until 'someone else' takes care of the problem.

Just like many of you supported the slaughter ban to force horses to travel further to their deaths. If it isn't in your back yard, you don't care what happens to them.

Shame on you.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    In spite of last minute attempts by animal rights extremists to slander an entire segment of animal agriculture by introducing Congressional action (S. 541 - a bill to prevent human health threats posed by the consumption of equines with others to follow...) that offers zero solution whatsoever to the dire circumstances facing the horse industry--the truth is that horse people are moving forward to provide a better future for horses and horse people.

Radical groups, led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and their supporters on Capitol Hill and inside the White House seek to destroy what vestige is left of the U.S. horse industry.
    Nonetheless, the Law is the Law, and right now the Law is behind the horse industry allowing us to move forward with positive, humane systems, that ensure the highest standards of verified food safety, preserving the value, and incentivizing the proper care of all horses in the United States.

Several horse processing plants in the United States are set to begin operations very soon.
    These plants have accomplished most or all of their required modifications to their facilities and will be requesting final walk through inspections, approval to begin operations, and the assignment of inspectors.

USDA has indicated that under current law they will be providing the necessary regulation and inspection.

These plants, and others that will be follow, have modified not only their physical plants to accommodate the unique characteristics of the equine species, but their Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plans and their Standard Operating Procedures to include extremely rigorous, thorough, and scientifically validated testing of every carcass that will ensure that no drug residue can ever enter the human food chain, and that every plant has installed humane handling systems and procedures that go above and beyond the U.S. Humane Methods of Slaughter law.

There are eager markets awaiting the opening of these facilities both here in the United States and internationally. Cheval, which is the common term for meat from the equine species in the same way that beef is the term for meat from cattle, and pork is the term from hogs, is highly sought after by ethnic, gourmet, health and nutritionally interested, and value conscious consumers.

Strong support nationwide for the horse industry is perhaps most evident right now in Oklahoma where a pair of pro-horse industry bills that will allow processing to begin in that state are sailing through the State Legislature.

Just this past Wednesday more than 400 articulate supporters of the legislation led by the Oklahoma Farm Bureau and a host of other Ag organizations showed up for a rally at the Capitol, and not a single anti-slaughter activist!

The week before a pathetic showing of anti-horse advocates at what was billed to be a "massive" rally against the bills achieved numbers barely above single digits, outnumbered by the media covering the event, illustrated the out of touch mentality of these extremist groups.

Attached to this press release is a report originally produced by IEBA last Fall, the Promise of Cheval, and updated regularly as new science and information becomes available, as well as a Facts and FAQs document that answers common questions about the ethical and responsible production of cheval.

Below are documents testifying to the position of the States and the Tribes in regards to this issue--powerful entities that stand solidly behind the broader horse industry in this struggle to ensure that horses and horse owners have humane options that provide value, and therefor ensures the welfare of horses in the U.S.
    And this is obviously not a anti.
    Do not know this woman, but from what it sounds like Slaughter in the US will be back and an industry.
    I know that I myself will never eat"Cheval"
    but IF it really is humanely done. If that will ever happen that a slaughter house is built that is specifically for horses and addresses all the issues of poor processes of the past.
    There seem to be a whole lot of newer videos of slaughter I had never seen before, Barring the russian one..
    the biggest problem in most of them is the isolation and immobilizing of the head. Where the whole problem lies.
    watching cattle ones they are accurate and quick, but the cattle are smaller and have their necks immobilized.
    Why that cannot be done with horses I do not quite get.
    Once they are dead they are dead.
    The part that occurs after the stunning, is unpleasant in all species. But the only one who cares are the people looking at it. It is the process up to that point that counts.
    To me if it truly was run as an industry here in the US for profit it is going to be better regulated and more efficient.
    I find the rhetorical choices in that press release fascinating. According to the sourced material's argument, those who disagree with their perspective on horse slaughter are "anti-horse", "extremists", "slander(ous)", "radical", "pathetic", etc. For an organization that sets itself up as a spokes-entity for "the horse businesses and families of the World by protecting their economic, legislative, regulatory, judicial, environmental, custom and cultural interests" (see source), they certainly do an excellent job employing inflammatory and divisive language.

Since those that run the "International Equine Business Association" also own and run Chevideco, a company that deals in live horses for slaughter as well as the rendered meat of said animals, their benevolence and credibility is -- frankly -- suspect.

5 members found this post helpful.

You could not have missed the whole point of this thread any more brilliantly if you had honestly tried Beverley.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I find the rhetorical choices in that press release fascinating. According to the sourced material's argument, those who disagree with their perspective on horse slaughter are "anti-horse", "extremists", "slander(ous)", "radical", "pathetic", etc. For an organization that sets itself up as a spokes-entity for "the horse businesses and families of the World by protecting their economic, legislative, regulatory, judicial, environmental, custom and cultural interests" (see source), they certainly do an excellent job employing inflammatory and divisive language.

Since those that run the "International Equine Business Association" also own and run Chevideco, a company that deals in live horses for slaughter as well as the rendered meat of said animals, their benevolence and credibility is -- frankly -- suspect.
    Guess they are learning from the masters of flourish of speech, the illustrious animal rights groups, so clear to see in their decades of propaganda.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    You could not have missed the whole point of this thread any more brilliantly if you had honestly tried Beverley.
    No kidding.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Good grief. Shooting a horse in the head to kill it is about as humane as it gets. I prefer it to injection, myself.

When riding in remote areas we always make sure someone has a gun just in case. If a horse suffers a catastrophic injury we sure don't want it to suffer.

When I whipped in foxhunting back east and carried a pistol loaded with rat shot, I always had bullets in my vest pocket for the same reason. Yes, I will shoot my own horse to spare it suffering. If I don't have a gun, I'll slit its throat with a knife.

I perceive that many of you think that is just 'awful,' so you'd be standing there wringing your hands and sobbing and allowing your horse to suffer until 'someone else' takes care of the problem.

Just like many of you supported the slaughter ban to force horses to travel further to their deaths. If it isn't in your back yard, you don't care what happens to them.

Shame on you.
    Wow, I'm just relieved that you were not around the handfull of times I hunted my guy. Slit their throat ? Wow, I'll take euthanasia over having you around any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Guess they are learning from the masters of flourish of speech, the illustrious animal rights groups, so clear to see in their decades of propaganda.
    Not really. It appears they're pulling an old trick: resorting to personal attacks (ad hominem fallacy).

Mandy, attempting to belittle a poster with whom you disagree won't win you any debating points. Suggest you try civil discussion as a preferable option.

So- Stolen Virtue- you'd just let a catastrophically injured horse suffer needlessly while you wait hours for what you consider to be politically correct euthanasia? Or, in a wilderness area, 20 miles into the mountains from where your trailer is parked, you'd just do what- leave the horse there in shock to take days to die?

I'm glad I'm not your horse!

11 members found this post helpful.

I was just pointing out the obvious. Touchy?

So- Stolen Virtue- you'd just let a catastrophically injured horse suffer needlessly while you wait hours for what you consider to be politically correct euthanasia? Or, in a wilderness area, 20 miles into the mountains from where your trailer is parked, you'd just do what- leave the horse there in shock to take days to die?

Days.....to die. No really there are vets everywhere these days. I would never have someone wanting to slit my horse's throat around. "Politically correct euthanasia" yes, I would take that over sliting my horses throat. Good lord, who would ever hunt with you ? And your gun, save it, all the hunt people I now call a vet. "Politically correct" more like sane.

Mandy, attempting to belittle a poster with whom you disagree won't win you any debating points. Suggest you try civil discussion as a preferable option.

I worked for a vet who who had to Euthanize his wifes horse by severing its internal iliac artery with a pocket knife. Because they were hours from passable roads and the horse stepped into a crevice/crag and shattered its hind leg.

Like Beverly said SV glad I'm not one of your animals although I imagine the first time you have to live through one of those situations you'll change your tune. Its easy to pass judgments from the safety of your office chair.

Not really sure who you hunt with but almost every group I know someone carries a gun for emergent situations. Or did you think that gun was just there to ward off the boogie man.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

8 members found this post helpful.

The horse in the video was not injured. It was not an emergency situation. I don't think anyone has an issue with euthanasia by gunshot if done properly. Have you read any of this thread? Wow.

4 members found this post helpful.

That's not very nice, newhorsemommy.

I don't think it is so much that the horse was shot, but the circumstances under which it was shot. This guy shot the horse to make a statement. NO animal should be killed, humanely or not for the sole purpose of throwing it in the face of someone.

Beverly, I agree that correct shooting is the most humane way to kill a horse, and the horse in the video appeared to not know what hit him. But do you really approve of this guy and his motives for killing this horse? It wasn't to demonstrate that a horse can be killed humanely. It was a sick way to try and make a point.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    I worked for a vet who who had to Euthanize his wifes horse by severing its internal iliac artery with a pocket knife. Because they were hours from passable roads and the horse stepped into a crevice/crag and shattered its hind leg.

Like Beverly said SV glad I'm not one of your animals although I imagine the first time you have to live through one of those situations you'll change your tune. Its easy to pass judgments from the safety of your office chair.

Not really sure who you hunt with but almost every group I know someone carries a gun for emergent situations. Or did you think that gun was just there to ward off the boogie man.
    Lynnwood, you have always had a bad attitude towards anyone who would dare disagree with you. We all understand you and your rude attitude.

Who I hunt with is also none of your business and no, riders in the local hunt do not carry guns nor does anyone offer to slit the throat of any lame horse, but hey I guess you must feel that those services could help you with your carriage horses.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    That's not very nice, newhorsemommy.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Lynnwood, you have always had a bad attitude towards anyone who would dare disagree with you. We all understand you and your rude attitude.

Who I hunt with is also none of your business and no, riders in the local hunt do not carry guns nor does anyone offer to slit the throat of any lame horse, but hey I guess you must feel that those services could help you with your carriage horses.
    SV does your village make you juggle and wear a funny hat ?

Who said lame horse ? I think what was discussed was catastrophic injury/suffering not lame. Do you go around euthanizing lame horses ?

PSS good dig on carriages horses ...didn't see that coming Now dance a funny jig or back to the stockades with you !

6 members found this post helpful.

I cant believe people who spend time on Coth, own and or work with horse's attempt to justify a healthy sound young looking horse being shot for no reason other then some ah trying to make a point.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
    I cant believe people who spend time on Coth, own and or work with horse's attempt to justify a healthy sound young looking horse being shot for no reason other then some ah trying to make a point.
    I don't agree with the guy using the horses processing to make a political statement I also think hes fairly off the rails.

However you are theorizing from a 2min video that the horse was any of the adjectives you used. The horse was a chestnut in decent condition who looked unstressed until humanely shot. That's all I could gather from the video as far as descriptors about the horse. I believe he intended to consume said horse ...and just made an ass out of himself doing the harvesting on film in some F/U statement.

Or head cheese??? Blech

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    We have never saved the blood but it is certainly true some people do. The thought of blood pudding turns my stomach.