The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    And as for threats, there's no telling who is making what threats. For all we know the purported threats could be faked by pro-slaughter folks to trash opponents of slaughter. Not an unheard of tactic.
    I think you got that very wrong.
    Guess who are those that burn barns down and trucks and steal and shoot?
    Those are the animal rights fanatics.

Everyone else is trying to do their job and defending themselves from those of the crazy brigade animal rights foment.

I would not be surprised at all that the slaughter plant and their employees are getting death threats, won't be the first time that happened, as in the Dallas plants, where even their kids were threatened, their houses and cars shot, etc.

I think you got who is the one making the threats very wrong.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    We keep posting at the same time, JSwan!
    At least no one can accuse us of being each other's alters!

Folks - even that news article says this jerk eats horsemeat. If that is true it is likely he was going to butcher the horse for home consumption and decided to film it in some sort of bizarre anti AR PSA. I think we can all agree the guy is not 1) The sharpest knife in the drawer and 2) Not on the short list for the Nobel.

But some of the posts indicate a real honest to goodness disconnect with how a lot of folks live in this country. Some people do butcher livestock on their property. It is done in this manner. In a backyard or barnyard. You may even buy this product legally if it is poultry and processed under PPIA exemptions. The local food movement is full of farmers who sell poultry to the public under those exemptions - and those birds were killed, processed and packaged basically in someone's back yard or barnyard.

That's the truth.

Some folks still get together for hog butchering. In the fall. This is how it's done. In the backyard or barnyard.

It's not a stretch to believe this guy ate that horse. I appreciate that some of you are disturbed by that. I agree, wholeheartedly, that the guy is an ass. But when people threaten violence...... a line is crossed.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    At least no one can accuse us of being each other's alters!

Folks - even that news article says this jerk eats horsemeat. If that is true it is likely he was going to butcher the horse for home consumption and decided to film it in some sort of bizarre anti AR PSA. I think we can all agree the guy is not 1) The sharpest knife in the drawer and 2) Not on the short list for the Nobel.

But some of the posts indicate a real honest to goodness disconnect with how a lot of folks live in this country. Some people do butcher livestock on their property. It is done in this manner. In a backyard or barnyard. You may even buy this product legally if it is poultry and processed under PPIA exemptions. The local food movement is full of farmers who sell poultry to the public under those exemptions - and those birds were killed, processed and packaged basically in someone's back yard or barnyard.

That's the truth.

Some folks still get together for hog butchering. In the fall. This is how it's done. In the backyard or barnyard.

It's not a stretch to believe this guy ate that horse. I appreciate that some of you are disturbed by that. I agree, wholeheartedly, that the guy is an ass. But when people threaten violence...... a line is crossed.
    EXCELLENT Post Jswan. Exactly right!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Thank you. What do you do with the blood? I would imagine a horse has quite a bit?
    I have never processed a horse but I would imagine the same applies as beef...hose it away, put down sawdust to absorb it and later shovel it into the manure pile, etc. whatever makes sense in your barn given your floor.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Thank you. What do you do with the blood? I would imagine a horse has quite a bit?
    9ish gallons for the avg. sized horse

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I have never processed a horse but I would imagine the same applies as beef...hose it away, put down sawdust to absorb it and shovel it into the manure pile, etc. whatever makes sense in your barn.
    With hogs, you make sausage and it is very good.

Don't know with other species.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have never saved the blood but it is certainly true some people do. The thought of blood pudding turns my stomach.

1 members found this post helpful.

read the last few lines of the article, particularly re: when they received death/bomb threats

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...stigation.html

Pet food is a nice alternative.

Death threats ....

I guess being psycho-macho on YouTube didn't go over so well.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Death threats ....

I guess being psycho-macho on YouTube didn't go over so well.
    Death threats and his employment as maintenance/horse buyer/press release writer/whatever for Valley is now in question. Genius.

Bluey, you don't actually know, though, do you? I don't trust the pro-slaughter folks any farther than I can throw them. It is so convenient to be able to tar everyone who opposes slaughter as a complete violent looney tune. It relieves all of you of the responsibility of arguing your points. You just shake your heads and act all "Law and order, hate those crooks, they want to take your property and rights away, blah blah blah." How handy! Saves so much unpleasant rhetorical work!

I don't want to blow anything up except for that jackass's video camera. And only then at a safe distance, so that no nutjobs were ever at a moment's risk of harm. But I think commercial slaughter of most animals is, practically speaking, never going to be consistently done in a humane manner. Financial incentives work mightily against it. And I think that re-legalizing slaughter of horses in the U.S. sets up invidious incentives to own, breed and manage horses in even less responsible ways than are common now, and I will exercise my political rights in every legal way I can think of to make it difficult for slaughter to become legal again in this country. And no amount of telling me that I'm a violent RARA crazy will pull me off point or change the truth about the inhumanity of horse slaughter.

Nothing I hate more than lazy arguers who grab the one point they understand (in this case, "animal rights crazies threaten our way of life") and beat every remotely similar discussion over the head with it until everyone else gives up and goes home. So there.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

12 members found this post helpful.

Good points Lori B.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Further, I can't believe you have the chutzpah to post about slaughter after you were so thoroughly chastised on your ridiculous poll threads in addition to being outed as someone who doesn't own a horse and doesn't ride.
    By this logic men shouldn't be OB/GYNs because they don't have vaginas. So what if a person is active here that doesn't currently have a horse. Half the people on this board just parrot info they pick up other places. (Alagirl, not lumping you in with the parrots. However, you could be a parrothead for all I know. Fins up?)

There are tons of people on here that debate farming that aren't farmers. That debate slaughter yet have never been in a slaughter house. That talk about how horrible racing barns are, yet have never set foot in a shedrow

We have a massive slaughterhouse 20 miles from here. JBS, some of you may have heard of it. There is a waiting list to work there because the pay is very competitive for the area and the benefits package is great. Yes, even on the kill floor, people are lining up to work. The guy in the video didn't make a great impression, but when you get criticized day in and day out for what you do, when there are groups that actively work to take away the way you make a living, it gets frustrating. I would love to give the middle finger to RARAs. I had to really make an effort when sitting in a CO house committee hearing 2 weeks ago to not tell some of them how stupid they were.

Every time a horse slaughter thread comes up half of you argue that if a person wanted to kill a horse and eat it, it is different than a slaughter house, and they should have that right. Someone does it and you all have a hissy fit.

As for the comments about how nice the horse looks, if you had the choice between eating a ribby, sick animal and a healthy one, which would you pick? Of course if the guy is doing it on his own time, for his own use he is going to get a nice one.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Well, there's one point he seems to be making pretty clearly: people aren't eating horses because there's too many of them.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quoting the whole thing because it's worth reading twice.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    By this logic men shouldn't be OB/GYNs because they don't have vaginas. So what if a person is active here that doesn't currently have a horse. Half the people on this board just parrot info they pick up other places. (Alagirl, not lumping you in with the parrots. However, you could be a parrothead for all I know. Fins up?)

There are tons of people on here that debate farming that aren't farmers. That debate slaughter yet have never been in a slaughter house. That talk about how horrible racing barns are, yet have never set foot in a shedrow

We have a massive slaughterhouse 20 miles from here. JBS, some of you may have heard of it. There is a waiting list to work there because the pay is very competitive for the area and the benefits package is great. Yes, even on the kill floor, people are lining up to work. The guy in the video didn't make a great impression, but when you get criticized day in and day out for what you do, when there are groups that actively work to take away the way you make a living, it gets frustrating. I would love to give the middle finger to RARAs. I had to really make an effort when sitting in a CO house committee hearing 2 weeks ago to not tell some of them how stupid they were.

Every time a horse slaughter thread comes up half of you argue that if a person wanted to kill a horse and eat it, it is different than a slaughter house, and they should have that right. Someone does it and you all have a hissy fit.

As for the comments about how nice the horse looks, if you had the choice between eating a ribby, sick animal and a healthy one, which would you pick? Of course if the guy is doing it on his own time, for his own use he is going to get a nice one.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Now Fairfax is going to say an AR person forged that letter...

FWIW- if there really have been any threats of harm to people I hope they track them down and prosecute. But I wouldn't be so sure that it isn't just propoganda from the SH owner trying to make people feel sorry for him. Or an exageration on his part. (Like someone commenting on youtube "Someone ought to do that to him, and see how he likes it", Or someone stating that "we could do without jerks like him", and the SH owner trying to say those are direct threats.
    I am willing to accept the letter. I do remember you were not as gracious regarding the letter from Dr. Henenke.

As I said on my first post. There are wackos on both sides.

However, his killing the horse has NOTHING to do with the slaughter industry.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    I just don't understand the reason to be such a prolific poster on a horse board when you don't have horses, don't ride and, if you go back and look at previous postings, have nothing to offer regarding horse keeping. Even most of the most argumentative among us do have horse keeping knowledge to share.

And here I thought that's why we need slaughter...for the old, tired, lame ones that no one wants. It's really the young healthy ones that we need slaughter for then, right?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Quoting the whole thing because it's worth reading twice.
    Triple posting because it is spot on!!!
    Excellent.
    Darn, well the post Jswan was reposting!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Only if you're slaughtering it for human consumption. The old and sick can be rendered for any number of other purposes.

I recall reading in one of Farley Mowat's books that the wolves take the weak and sick from the caribou herds. Humans pick the choice animals when they're hunting.

I'm glad Fordtraktor clarified the bleeding out thing. I figured the beating heart business couldn't be right.