The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Default Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

WARNING: This has been edited so it isn't graphic, but it's still horrible to watch.

This is a video of a horse being led up to the camera, and then shot in the head, by a proponent of horse slaughter in New Mexico. Apparently he works at a plant under consideration for re-opening. It was apparently filmed solely for the purpose of delivering a message to "animal rights activists."'

I assume the video is real, although if it's a hoax, I would be thrilled to learn that.

And this is who we are going to rely on to make sure that slaughter is humane? Give me a break. What a POS. This is what Sue Wallis and her kind are really all about.

ETA: The original version of the video has been removed from YouTube. Here is a link to the edited version. It's on the home page of Horse Plus Humane Society on the right hand side of the screen under "Watch a Video."

http://horsehumane.org/

ETA: Here's a direct link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5pXviVBig

1 members found this post helpful.

Not going to watch it. What has been seen cannot be unseen so I'd rather not see it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

15 members found this post helpful.

Me neither. And why post this?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

5 members found this post helpful.

I would have rather not seen it myself. I wasn't aware of what was going to happen when I watched it. And I thought it merited posting because so many seem to think the pro-slaughter camp has nothing but the best intentions for horses.

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm not going to watch. Don't want the site but i will ask when he shot the horse did he hit is correctly and did it die immediately? If so then that is a way that people have and some still do put horses down. Slaughter houses use a bolt to the head so it's quick and some have been known to shot them. Were they roughing the horse up? I'm trying to understand the issue. This is how they out them down they can't use drugs to do it.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

7 members found this post helpful.

Not going to watch it, but my assumption is that they were trying to show death was instantaneous, correct?

I hope that it wasn't the only purpose for the death of the horse - that is pretty horrible - but if the horse needed to be put down and they wanted to show that this is a fast, painless, viable way of doing it, I'm not going to get too spun up just because it happens to be on video.

I watched a video a few years back of operations at a knacker in the UK, I think. It was posted by anti-slaughter folks who wanted to shock and horrify, but I was actually very impressed by it. The handler was professional, knew horses, quiet, and very accurate. I left feeling that the deaths those horses suffered was at least as humane, if not more, than the horses I've seen go down at the end of a needle.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

13 members found this post helpful.

Ok I was brave and watched the video. I am pro slaughter but would like to shoot that guy in the head.
    He walks up a cute little chestnut with a blaze, rubs its head and shoulders, and says "all you animal activists, F--k you" the screen goes blank but you hear the shot and the fall, and you can see the blurred animal on the ground when the screen comes back on. Then the guy says "good"
    The only "good" I saw was that the horse did immediately fall and die.
    The guys attitude bothered me more than anything else. If it had been a horse that looked like it needed to be put down ie lame, old and the video was presented as "look how quick and painless this is" it would have gone a lot farther.
    IMHO that guy is just an asshat
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

29 members found this post helpful.

I watched it and all it showed was the gun up to the horse's head. It was in the proper position for an instant death. I know nothing of the back story so I can't comment on that.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

2 members found this post helpful.

As far as that video being a hoax...it surely is not! That horse went down as any horse would from a gunshot to the head...

1 members found this post helpful.

I watched it. It says its edited and it is. McCallister is on point with their post. The horse drops instantly. What is most disturbing is the man's attitude. I think he needs counseling. There is no reason to curse at the animals activitists, (and I curse like a sailor, and not easily offended), it just fuels the fire and there is no reason to say, "good" after the deed.

13 members found this post helpful.

Billy Ray done shot his horse.....

That were two minutes of my life I won't get back.

Can't see a thing, can't hear a thing....

OMG he is so mean, stroking and petting the horse before he shoots it....I guess he could have roundpenned it into a lather, bonked it with a carrot stick a few times, to prep it to die.

There is nothing graphic in the video. There is actually nothing in it that would warrant any outcry.
    I have certainly seen worse, in moving and still pictures, by far.

The slaughter angle is that it can't be done humanely.
    argument is that the horses are always stressed, etc....

well, obviously this myth is now debunked. It can be done in a quiet, non stressful manner.

not really sure though why he shot the horse in the middle of the drive....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

12 members found this post helpful.

There are going to be wing nuts in every group.

You are making a big thing, however, about a gun shot to the head. What do you Think happens. THAT is one of the anti slaughter proposals...shoot them in the head..have the owner do it on their own property.

There are videos showing a gun shot to the head that did NOT kill the horse first time...just blew the eye out.

There are videos showing euthanization going horribly wrong with the animal having to either be shot..or have an agonizing death..

The anti slaughter crowd want perfection 100% of the time with the dead bolt BUT they refuse to acknowledge that gun shots and needles are not 100%

New Horse Mommy...you are only posting this to try and stir up "discussion"

I assume since you are claiming that gun shots to the head are not acceptable..you want all horses to have a forever home.

I hope you have a lot of room to adopt ALL of the cute available ones.

Dead is Dead..as unpleasant as it is...there was nothing cruel about this action.

On the other hand...with all of you etc comment...that is a ploy used by PETA....
    like the time they threw firecrackers at the horses to get them to panic and injure themselves so they could film it. They DID NOT CARE about causing great pain to the horses...

As for this video:

It is "too staged"

Horse dropped immediately.

The guy was a jerk though because of how he presented the situation to the viewers.

He did pat the horse and the horse was totally relaxed and did not know what happened.

17 members found this post helpful.

Did you see the Australian Slaughter house video where they shoot the horse with the other behind him...then hit him over the head several times with the metal pipe to get him to back out of the shoot....just disgusting.

Or how about the Russian one I posted a few weeks ago where they smash the horses over the head with sledge hammers on concrete floors covered in blood where they try and fail to run for their lives while slipping and breaking legs, watching each other die.

People don't want to see this because they do not want to accept it exists. I am not against slaughter houses per se but I am absolutely %100 any inhumane slaughter of all animals and I have had just about enough of the way these sick people kill horses.

8 members found this post helpful.

Did you see the Australian Slaughter house video where they shoot the horse with the other behind him...then hit him over the head several times with the metal pipe to get him to back out of the shoot....just disgusting.

Or how about the Russian one I posted a few weeks ago where they smash the horses over the head with sledge hammers on concrete floors covered in blood where they try and fail to run for their lives while slipping and breaking legs, watching each other die.

People don't want to see this because they do not want to accept it exists. I am not against slaughter houses per se but I am absolutely %100 any inhumane slaughter of all animals and I have had just about enough of the way these sick people kill horses.

Did anyone here actually see the original video?

I was reading a big thread about this on Facebook this morning, and from the comments, the horse did NOT die immediately. But no way was I was going to watch it, and all the subsequent posted repeat uncut versions had been deleted by YouTube anyway, so I can't say for sure.

However, as I said, the comments from numerous folks who did see it in it's entirety indicated this was not an instantaneous death, and it was done to this horse by a vengeful, spiteful individual.

ETA to add that I do not object to gunshot euthanasia - as long as it is done correctly.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Shot him in the head and then beat him to back up?

Guess the shot didn't kill him...wonder if they immediately had him shod and did bick lick with him after.

As for horses watching others die..??? HUMAN emotions. the horsey does not go MAMA...MAMA...or Uncle Pete..what is happening.

I had to euthanize a yearling due to injuries after a fall on the ice and his mama..who he was with for the winter was with him when he dropped. She went out of the barn..returned and sniffed him..repeated twice and then it was over.

I would think you would applaud the Canadian slaughter over the Russian.

You throw in words...slipping and breaking legs?

I haven't seen the video but trying to hit horses in an open area with a sledge hammer? When I saw them at Tersk, they had cutes, the same as for their cattle.

Again..A video like you are saying exists only re-enforces WHY slaugher should be opened in the U.S. where it can be regulated.

But not to worry....Angela CLEARLY STATES All slaughter will be shut down in July as no horses from North America will qualify for the passport system (which is already in operation)

Liberty, I did see the original video. Horse went down instantly. The people who say the horse didn't die instantaneously saw the legs twitching - normal nervous system reaction.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Ok I was brave and watched the video. I am pro slaughter but would like to shoot that guy in the head.
    He walks up a cute little chestnut with a blaze, rubs its head and shoulders, and says "all you animal activists, F--k you" the screen goes blank but you hear the shot and the fall, and you can see the blurred animal on the ground when the screen comes back on. Then the guy says "good"
    The only "good" I saw was that the horse did immediately fall and die.
    The guys attitude bothered me more than anything else. If it had been a horse that looked like it needed to be put down ie lame, old and the video was presented as "look how quick and painless this is" it would have gone a lot farther.
    IMHO that guy is just an asshat
    I sucked it up and watched the video too.

The guys attitude bothered me a lot. The reason behind shooting the horse (to prove a point) bothers me a LOT.

BUT.

That cute little chestnut was led over, patted, and remained calm, comfortable, and clueless. Despite his shit-rotten attitude and assholistic message, the guy actually did take the time to make sure the horse was comfortable. One minute he was hanging out happily, the next he was dead. The shot was well placed. The horse was the furthest thing from panicked, scared, or hurting.
    I wish all horses could go as quietly.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

15 members found this post helpful.