The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding near Colleges

Coming out of lurking mode to ask for some help from the COTHers. I have learned much over the last couple of years reading the forums and hope you all can send some info my way.

First off, I'm a horse Mom and know enough to know that there's lots I don't know! DD is the equestrian in our household....got on a pony at age 5 and has been in the saddle ever since. Originally Hunters but switched to Eventing 4 years ago and never looked back! Her father and I swore we'd never buy a horse and I don't have to tell you how that goes....

So, fast forward and now she'll be off to college in the fall.
    Bright child that she is, she knows that figuring out how to be a college student will be her first order of business so the love of her life, the horse, will be staying home for probably the duration of her Freshman year.

Here's where I'm hoping for some input. Someday horse may move to be closer to DD while at school. Looking for suggestions for boarding/eventing facilities we can visit near Daytona Beach, FL or West Lafayette, IN. We are lucky in that home is central Virginia....however we are those unfancy, backyard horse people with a mare who lives out 24/7 and we have self care boarding to keep costs down. So we are hoping just to get a feel for what's out there. I know Ocala is loaded with facilities but most seem to be to the NW of Ocala....anything going towards Daytona? If I'm not mistaken there are some COTHers in Indiana...Laz and Riderboy come to mind. She is a solid novice rider so we don't need a BNR facility, just a place that understands a kid with a passion!

Sorry to be so wordy

Contact the DCs of the local pony clubs. They are usually experienced moms who can help you find a good, reasonably priced, young adult oriented, boarding barn. The pony club website has contact information.

1 members found this post helpful.