The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I started back from 6 years off with my former made hunter. I "made" her up 15 yrs ago. I also bought a 5yo that I'm having someone else bring along for the first year of showing and then I'll take over. I've always made up my own horses but at 50 I decided to give up the reins of the youngster as I want to observe his actions for awhile. I think the idea of leasing a made horse for awhile is a good idea. I found it takes longer than I thought to get back in the groove.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I would come from a different angle.... I would sit down with your trainer and talk about it.

He/she is the only one that knows where you are as a rider and can help you find the right mount for your skills and future.

I have always been from the "own a horse" school of thought but that's just me. I didn't ride seriously (showing/jumping) for a while and purchased an older trained horse. How I can say I learned A LOT from this horse, but it also hurts the heart when they become unsound and cannot do the job for very long. I still feel bad seeing him look at me sometimes as if he wants that job back again.

Saying that, I then talked to my trainer, told him my budget and he knows me - and at one point said to me that he knew I like to keep my horses forever so getting a younger one was an okay thing to do.

It's a million times worth having an experienced trainer in your life that can make your horse experience what it can be.

Good luck and make sure you enjoy the journey
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I would come from a different angle.... I would sit down with your trainer and talk about it.

He/she is the only one that knows where you are as a rider and can help you find the right mount for your skills and future.

I have always been from the "own a horse" school of thought but that's just me. I didn't ride seriously (showing/jumping) for a while and purchased an older trained horse. How I can say I learned A LOT from this horse, but it also hurts the heart when they become unsound and cannot do the job for very long. I still feel bad seeing him look at me sometimes as if he wants that job back again.

Saying that, I then talked to my trainer, told him my budget and he knows me - and at one point said to me that he knew I like to keep my horses forever so getting a younger one was an okay thing to do.

It's a million times worth having an experienced trainer in your life that can make your horse experience what it can be.

Good luck and make sure you enjoy the journey
    Good advice doublesstable especially for those who can keep their horses at home forever.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

If you can afford it buy the Made and go from there.. You know what you are getting show record and a forgiving soul to help you!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale