The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grooms Class

I have a friend that is going to do a grooms (or should that be groom's?) class.
    She is in a fit about what to wear and, oh, about a million other things.

Don't say ask the trainer...the horse is an eventer, she owns him, is a full time groom, horse is with an eventing trainer.

She is braiding at the show, heard about the class and got all excited about doing it.

Please give me the .10 tour on the class and a link to any photos so I can pass it along to her.

Thank you.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I saw this class listed in the WEF prize list, but have no first hand experience. Maybe these links will help some:
    http://web.stagram.com/p/368821710264774945_273104651

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...71900449584596

It's like a Pony Club inspection, but with prize money!

Actually, I have no idea if they still do inspections in Pony Club. That was a long time ago.

I think it would be best to read the specifications for the class she's actually riding in, as groom's classes can be such a range of things! I've seen everything from a costume class over a jumper course to turnout classes without actually riding...

Thanks all.

It is an in hand class.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Then i would guess something similarto what you wear for "the jog" in Eventing.

But why not ask the show secretary?

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    Thanks all.

It is an in hand class.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Normally there is no special costume required. A clean, tucked in polo shirt and a clean pair of jeans will do fine. Many people wear shirts with the logo of their employer. Object of the game is to look professional, with a clean, fit horse that is prepared to show.

3 members found this post helpful.

We have this class at the Santa Barbara National which I spectate at every year. It's right before the Hap Hansen Grand Prix class so there is a big audience already and it's quite popular. Grooms bring in the horse in hand, but also bring their grooming kits, rakes, even step stools. The judge goes over the horse, looks through the kits...it's really quite funny. Audience gets into it because most bigger barns will have a competing groom. It's nice to see the really hard working grooms get recognition! Having a nice well mannered horse helps

2 members found this post helpful.

Make sure that the grooming kit has things that you might not think of like a show schedule, copy of the course, a bottle of water, etc. It should be as clean as possible! Oh, and the horse should be wearing a halter over the bridle with a cooler or scrim on it! Tail comb in the grooms pocket. Be creative! And don't forget a hoof pick!

2 members found this post helpful.

I watched a grooms class at WEF recently -- There were only 3 entries -- All dressed in clean polos and jeans -- All carried backpacks instead of grooming totes (I shouldn't have been surprised by this as backpacks have replaced totes at larger shows, but this was the thing that surprised me) --

GM and Anne Kursinski were the judges --

Prize list said braiding was optional and 2 of 3 were unbraided -- The winner had the braided horse --

All horses were dressed in mesh coolers which the grooms folded back to expose the saddle when being judged -- I hadn't seen coolers used in a grooms class before -- I guess it helps the audience to identify the barns, but I think it's a nice touch to show off a combed checker pattern in a class like this --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    I think it's a nice touch to show off a combed checker pattern in a class like this --
    I would think a groom with a checkerboard on the horse would score bonus points for being smart enough to fold the scrim/cooler back in order to avoid marring the pattern.

Love these classes! Especially when they have prize money for the grooms, they really deserve it.
    To wear: jeans, clean polo or long sleeve shirt. Many have the logo of their barn on it, but a regular shirt is just fine too! I would not go for the fancy outfits usually worn in the eventing jogs; presentable but not something that would be uncomfortable to work in.
    Backpack contents... same as usual but extras might include course map, schedule, small bottles of sunscreen and water, boot polish, sticky spray (lol), baby wipes, clean towels.
    Horse should be SUPER clean and clipped, with hoof polish, show-sheen, the works. Bonus points for jumper braids, and unless you're going for the hunter look (braided mane and tail, etc) I would skip the quarter marks. Scrim sheet, matching bonnet and saddle pad if you have those. Tack spotless, nice leather lead rope with chain clipped to halter over bridle.
    Have fun and good luck!!

I have actually more often seen the split lead leather connected to the bit and never a halter over. Don't forget (fake) Xanax for the trainers!
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

She should wear workmanlike clothing and shoes. The horse should be presented as if it were going to the ring to show. Make sure to have everything you can think of in the grooming box or backpack because the judge might look and see whats in there. Turnout is key and make sure the tack is also very clean. Hope this helps and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    It's like a Pony Club inspection, but with prize money!

Actually, I have no idea if they still do inspections in Pony Club. That was a long time ago.
    Pony Club still does inspections.