The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PPE Question

Not my PPE, but lower level dressage horse, 11 years old, on flexions 2/5 on a front leg. Straight shoulders. Vet thinks arthritic changes. What would you be looking for on an xray?

The extent of the arthritic changes, or confirmation of the vets assumption.

arthritis!

Arthritis. Bone spurs depending on where he thinks it is. A bone spur or chip in the knee can cause lameness.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Depends on what part of the leg is showing difficulty in the flexion. Ankle, knee?
    Usually it's one or the other, and occasionally both. Each joint has it's own set of changes to look for.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Also could be in the feet. I'd have them block first to find exactly where I'd need to xray.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

ugh, the feet. the hoof angles... ugh. I was also considering this horse for myself, and hoping to hear how flexions and be misleading etc. block and xray sounds like a rational approach. ugh, below the "ankle"

Flexions can be misleading. Depends a lot as to who is doing the flexing. A lot depends on the practitioners mileage with horses, and sport horses in particular.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I second merrygoround's statement. Had a 4y/o TB gelding flex miserably, people passed on him. Second set of people vetted him and again he failed, they bought him for a discounted price. He is currently working and showing and has not shown any changes in his soundness etc. Have a wonderful mid teenaged pony that has not had any work done on her that is coming home r/t her not passing her flexions. She is a 3k pony with a great mind, safe and kind....needless to say I will be leasing her out instead of trying to sell her.

Flexions can absolutely be misleading... but they usually aren't. X-rays will help you assess the condition of the joints and determine if the issues are managable, or something that makes you want to pass.