The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help please? Need syringes

I have three cats who need to be medicated twice a day indefinitely for a chronic condition and of course I cannot use the same syringe every time. So I'm using 6 syringes a day and at this rate soon I will be broke. I'm currently ordering a box of 100 from one place and they are charging twelve cents apiece "on sale" BUT with the 6.50 "handling charge" the price goes right back up to 18 cents. Anyone getting their syringes someplace cheaper?

Or is it worth my while to wash them/sterilize them in something?

What drug, what mode of administration and what size syringe?

If you're giving something that doesn't degrade the plastic (or something else crazy) and you're going IM or sub q and not pulling back blood, you CAN reuse the syringe. I wouldn't do it forever, but you could easily get down to one or two syringes a day...perhaps even less, depending on your comfort level. Just keep a CLEAN needle on it between uses. And a new needle for each injection, of course. If you pull back blood, it's toast.

Now, if you're going IV, you've got to use a new syringe every time.

I would not attempt to clean or sterilize them. Perhaps it would be an option if you had an autoclave, but short of that....just not a good idea.

Are they insulin syringes, or some other kind? I find the best price for insulin syringes at Walmart (personally, I would NEVER reuse a needle for any kind of injection, and certainly would not share one between animals. Not only do you risk cross contamination, but there is microscopic damage to the needle with every use, making them dull and painful. http://www.petdiabetes.com/painful.htm That site has a picture of the needle after one, two, and six uses-yikes!), where a box of 100 is about $12. Some states require a prescription, which your vet can write. As an added bonus, they have half-unit markings, which not all brands do.

If they're oral syringes (no needle), they can be washed with hot water and reused several times, just be careful that you're always using the same one for the same cat and not crossing them up.

Oh, sorry....duh..

3ml for oral meds (Doxycycline) - two cats with chronic sinusitis and one FIV+
    cat with some form of anemia. The syringes need to have the longer "nose" so I can draw meds from the spill proof bottle.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

The drug is going orally? Not injected?

Dear lord, stop wasting your money by using a syringe for each dose! Assign each cat a syringe and reuse it. Wash with hot water and soap if they get icky. Replace when you wear the numbers off or when the rubber starts to stick to the inside of the barrel.

You don't need sterile for oral meds. You just need clean.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    Oh, sorry....duh..

3ml for oral meds (Doxycycline) - two cats with chronic sinusitis and one FIV+
    cat with some form of anemia. The syringes need to have the longer "nose" so I can draw meds from the spill proof bottle.

Syringes for oral meds can certainly be re used at least a few times. I would just rinse them out, and let them air dry between uses. I would designate one syringe for each cat, and use a sharpie, or something to label them.

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Does it matter that it's being drawn from the same bottle? I'm a bit afraid of cross-contamination, especially from the FIV cat. He lives outside with one of the snotties and the other snotty lives inside.

How is it being drawn? The tip of the syringe into the liquid, or through a needle pushed through a stopper, or?

I assume you are dosing the kitties actually orally (tip of syringe in mouth) versus medicating food or some such?

I think the easiest way to confirm zero cross contamination between FIV kitty and non-FIV kitties would be to have two sources--either another bottle from your vet or split what you have into two containers.

Or dose the FIV kitty in his food, if he will go for that. Then you are not contaminating the syringe at all with his cooties.

It looks like deep bite wounds are mainly how FIV is spread, not through casual contact, so I can't imagine that you're really going to have any greater risk, though, even *sharing* dosing syringes, than you would with casual living together type contact?

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    Does it matter that it's being drawn from the same bottle? I'm a bit afraid of cross-contamination, especially from the FIV cat. He lives outside with one of the snotties and the other snotty lives inside.

I would do this: clean syringe pulls up the doses, and dispense into a small serving type cup - I've used sauce cups to divide meds before - and each cat gets its own cup/syringe. So, you'd need four - the master syringe and the ones for each cat. Label accordingly and keep them clean.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Hmmmm, some good ideas. I can find some empty med bottles (and with house o' sick kitties that shouldn't be hard ) and divide it up. I just can't feature nearly $15 every other week for syringes. I mean - ow. Thanks guys!

I've used a bit of flexible tubing to extend the length of the syringe. It fits right over the dispenser end. Then you can easily get to the bottom of the bottle. Take the tubing off before dispensing (or leave it on if you want to get to the back of their throat!). A different syringe/tube for each cat and you're good.

StG

Split the bottle and reuse syringes!

And FWIW, I have an FIV cat who has lived with 3 others for 12 years now. We test the others yearly and they are still negative. It can certainly spread by saliva to mucous membrane but its rare - the most infectious way of spreading it by saliva to bloodstream. It also only has a lifespan of a few hours outside the body, so if the syringe is reused 12 hours later on another cat the virus would not be transmissible.