The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pentosan questions from a vet

Hi guys, I spoke to my vet about getting Pentosan for my horse. I have a 17yo horse who I've just started eventing at the BN level.

When I restarted her it would feel like she "stepped in a hole" behind sometimes but got better as she got stronger. She's still a bit weak in one hind and a little tense in her back plus she works hard at her new job. I'd like to keep her at her best given that she is older and she does occasionally feel weak behind. Not lame, just a bit weak and I think if I put her on something she would improve.

My vet is a very good vet but doesn't do a ton of lameness issues and tends to be conservative, she has never heard of Pentosan. I sent her some research but she said that the info I sent her indicates it is only legal for use in horses in Australia. She does not like compounded solutions, pointing out how people getting back injections got sick from compounded products. She also says the risk of bleeding is too high.

She would rather I use a feed through formula for a few months and then consider Adequan.

I'm not interested in feed throughs, I don't think there's enough evidence to make them worth my while, and I've heard more good things about Pentosan then Adequan.

She said she'd be willing to read some more info if I could find it.

does anyone have any more info? I thought it was legal for us in horses in the US recently, and I didn't think the risk of bleeding was that high.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

She said she'd be willing to read some more info if I could find it.
    If a drug comes along that I'm not familiar with I don't require that my patients educate me about it. I go and ask colleagues I respect, and pull out the books, papers, and journals and go look it up myself. As a last resort, I'd look at the company literature on the drug, but always with gigantic salt grains sprinkled everywhere.
    Click here before you buy.

11 members found this post helpful.

Ivis.org
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

That's pretty silly that your vet won't research it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think having a single minded rejection of compounding pharmacies is really ignorant. I would say this is a not a conservative vet, but a vet who is not very up to date. HUman physicians who need unique delivery systems for certain drugs use compounding pharmacies all the time. I know this was not your original question, but I agree with Deltawave. There are lots and lots of equine vets out there using Pentosan safely and with great results. WE are using a generic injectable glucosamine (similar to Adequan) from Wedgewood for $30 a bottle. It changed my dressage horse enormously. Ask your vet to explain what happens to feed through joint supplements in the equine gut.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiansyes View Post
    I think having a single minded rejection of compounding pharmacies is really ignorant. I would say this is a not a conservative vet, but a vet who is not very up to date. HUman physicians who need unique delivery systems for certain drugs use compounding pharmacies all the time. I know this was not your original question, but I agree with Deltawave. There are lots and lots of equine vets out there using Pentosan safely and with great results. WE are using a generic injectable glucosamine (similar to Adequan) from Wedgewood for $30 a bottle. It changed my dressage horse enormously. Ask your vet to explain what happens to feed through joint supplements in the equine gut.
    On the other side, have you read the FDA report on Wedgewood?

My vet will not give her clients Pentosan (i.e. from Wedgewood), but she WILL give PentAussie. Maybe ask about getting PentAussie instead of the Pentosan?
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I sent her this article originally
    http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/775273

Is there some sort of difference in the approval in Australia v the US?

She has not heard of PentAussie either.

I just started giving my horse Pentosan after a year of on again off again lameness which adequan, feed throughs and legend were not fixing. I gave it as a last resort when steroid injections were not helping.
    A month later, my horse is SOUND! Not just servicably sound but SOUND! I love it.

When I was researching, I think there was a paper written by vets out of Colorado comparing adequan legend and Orval's with some discussion on pentosan. You van try googling. I have to feed now, but later I can look for it.
    Pkn

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    On the other side, have you read the FDA report on Wedgewood?
    Where did you find this?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks!
    ~Veronica

To put it in context, here is a list of FDA warning letters -

http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcement...rs/default.htm

You will find most pharmaceutical companies in there Or just do a google search combining "Wyeth" or "Pfizer" or "Norvatis" or etc. with "FDA warnings" (just to be clear, I picked companies whose products I use or have used and will continue to use).

2 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, no place gets a 100% clean bill of health from those inspectors. Context, people.
    Click here before you buy.

Default here is the article i was talking about

http://www.ker.com/library/proceedin...rt%20Horse.pdf

I think this is at least a good starting place. There are other articles by this same vet the different drugs used.

BTW, my vet is not too happy about pentosan either.
    PKN

Just want to point out that a falling out feeling behind is usually caused by stifle issues...same for a "weak feeling" and getting better as the horse gets stronger. Also, the ouchy back will be from overcompensating for the stifle. You might want to find a good lameness vet to come out and take a look, to see if that's your problem, or if you have a few things going on...and the physical rehab for weak stifles sure is cheaper than just putting them on arthritis meds!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Yeah, no place gets a 100% clean bill of health from those inspectors. Context, people.
    Understood, but I am still interested to read the report.
    ~Veronica

My vet actually is the one who suggested Pentosan and/or Pentaussie. As an aside, Pentosan is also a human drug. Both are legal to give to horses in the USA. You can order them directly from Australia in the 6 cc vials (which Wedgewood also stocks) or you can have Wedgewood or Precision pharmacy compound it in a larger size. I have found that Pentosan makes an enormous difference, whereas Adequan does not. I used Adequan for quite some time on my now 13 year old horse, as well as on my now 26 year old horse. I do give HA orally, and so give Pentosan supplementally. Just out of curiosity, how does your current vet feel about joint injections? Since she doesn't do a ton of lameness, it occurs to me that she just isn't in an area where she's going to be exposed to the need for more recent therapies, including joint injections. If you have to ability to go to a more "cutting edge" vet, who has more experience with sport horses, I think I would do so. If you are eventing, particularly with an older horse, you are going to need someone with that type of experience to keep your horse fully supported for the work you are asking him to do. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    Just want to point out that a falling out feeling behind is usually caused by stifle issues...same for a "weak feeling" and getting better as the horse gets stronger. Also, the ouchy back will be from overcompensating for the stifle. You might want to find a good lameness vet to come out and take a look, to see if that's your problem, or if you have a few things going on...and the physical rehab for weak stifles sure is cheaper than just putting them on arthritis meds!
    Stifles was my first thought too, as my horse has a similar issue. Feels like they forgot to pick the foot up or it got stuck in a hole for a step. Random steps, generally when the horse is tired. My vet said the stifle was catching, not quite locking up but similar, just snagging. It had gotten pretty bad but when I moved barns he was out in a large field 24/7 and the issue has gone away, just by him being able to move around a lot freely. Would definitely get a second opinion from a vet who has more experiences with lameness.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT