The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala/surrounding area - best tack shop(s) for protective vest?

Not having much luck locating tack shops in my area (Tampa Bay) that have a decent selection of protective vests. I'd like to try a few brands, since I've never even tried one on. Any suggestions of good places to look? Thanks

Tack Shack is my favorite and should have a few brands there. Near there is also Winners Edge and you can also try T&T Distributers, and the other one just down Rte 40 from T&T Distributors - I forget the name of the place but it is a big warehouse... All of these are very close to eachother.

Great! Thanks very much.

Honestly your best bet is to get to a horse trial at Rocking Horse. There are usually quite a few vendors with lots of kinds to try on.... Of course you may have just missed out since the "big" shows are over and folks are heading back north. Not sure what the vendor situation will be for the show on Easter weekend.

Most of the tack shops will carry a small handfull of brands - Tipperary and one or two cheaper brands. They are just trying to stock too many things for too many disciplines to have a wide variety of inventory. They hit the big names but that's it. Or for about $80 you can't go wrong with the "tipperary style" vests on eBay. If it doesn't work out, you haven't sunk a lot of $ and you can probably resell for about the same price.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Yes, I'm aware that my 2 broken ribs (and hence my newfound interest in protective vests!) came right at the end of high season! I'd love to see a horse trial anyway, though - might have to put that on the list for the future. Thanks

Tack Shack and Winning Edge in Ocala both have a range of vest brands and sizes. Tack Shack's quarterly Horsey Yard Sale is next weekend.

1 members found this post helpful.