The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Luxating Patellas

I was contacted by a previous client last night about luxating patella surgery.

When we were actively training her dog, she had mentioned that Reilly had lp's and it didn't seem to be a big deal. Apparently now, she has been advised to look into surgery.

She was referred to 2 different clinics, one near or in Akron Ohio and the other a more local vet who has a special interest in othropedics, stifle, surgical plating and pinning as well as cruciate repairs.

I don't know the name of the other clinic and have a call in which has not been returned yet.

This is a pet dog, not a comp dog so I'm thinking the local guy who has a deep interest in orthopedic repairs would probably be fine.

any suggestions on what to look for as she wants her dog to be sound after the surgery.

I don't know what grade the luxation is either, asked that in the voice mail.

There arent usually major complications with patella luxation surgeries. Most vets with an interest in orthopedics would find them routine. Boarded surgeons are often more pricey but you are also paying for years of experience and education behind them. We have had patients come in who have had needed revsions from their regular vets surgeries, however this is pretty infrequent.

Usually patella luxations are surgical at a grade 2+. Many dogs with a low grade 2 can also be medically managed with proper physio/rehab exercises.

Is it bilateral or just one knee?

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    There arent usually major complications with patella luxation surgeries. Most vets with an interest in orthopedics would find them routine. Boarded surgeons are often more pricey but you are also paying for years of experience and education behind them. We have had patients come in who have had needed revsions from their regular vets surgeries, however this is pretty infrequent.

Usually patella luxations are surgical at a grade 2+. Many dogs with a low grade 2 can also be medically managed with proper physio/rehab exercises.

Is it bilateral or just one knee?
    bilateral. I think I'll tell her to go to the closer one. It will save a bit on gas.

thanks Squish.