The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cow Carpet to keep river sand out of arena?

I live on a river and have DEEP river sand EVERYWHERE. I am wondering if the Cow Carpet works to keep sand out as well as it works to keep mud out. Anyone out there have any experience with Cow Carpet? TIA!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yes, it would work...you'd have to dig down about a foot I'd guess, lay the geotextile material (Cow Carpet is a brand name of geocloth). Over that, you'd put gravel, then your footing of choice. You'd need to give at least that much room between the footing and the cloth, because you'd pull it up if you worked the ring. The gravel would weight the cloth, provide a "drainage layer" and give it a barrier between cloth and footing, so your footing isn't too deep.

The cloth I used in my paddocks is under 8" of gravel to avoid horses digging it up. It came in a roll 12 feet wide by 300 feet long, and cost about $300--from the manufacturer and I picked it up. The roll was awkward to move, but we managed without a tractor.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Default Thanks CC, one more question........

Do you anchor the Cow Carpet with something and stretch it firmly or do you simply lay it on top of the sand? I'm trying to visualize this and see what prep I need to do. TIA!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

We didn't anchor ours--it is in a 60 x 48 space (the whole paddock is not done yet), simple laid it down (with a 1 foot overlap) and and spread our gravel. I suppose if you have a kickboard, you would want to anchor with that. The weight of the gravel and the footing will keep it down.

My SIL did her arena this way: site prep added French drains to the base. Large ( 2" and bigger) rock about 2" deep. Geocloth laid over that. Base gravel (3/4") about 3" worth, then 4" of sand and rubber footing.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Default Ok....thanks

I appreciate the help.