The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I would try different types of earplugs. Some like the puffs, some like the foam, some like the golf balls.

I use the treat method or I just neck twitch to get them in.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    What kind of earplug are you using? My jumper will NOT let me put any kind of plug in his ear other than fleece. He feels it going into his ear and freaks unless it's fuzzy.
    Yes, this - at my lesson barn we use the kind that are like giant thick cottonballs, and I can't put them in - the sound of that material - that squeak - freaks ME out like nails on a chalkboard! So maybe it's something like that with your boy?

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    Honest question here: is it now legal and accepted to use ear plugs/puffs in the show ring? I know a lot of folks use them at home, but...
    I'm pretty sure it's always been legal, but yes it's legal and widely accepted. I know people that put the whole barn in earplugs just to protect the what-ifs at shows. On one horse I don't use them at home, but I use them at shows because of the added tractor noises, talking, loudspeakers, etc.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

If he hates the pom style plugs, you may want to try the fuzzy ones or the equifit t-foam ones. I particularly like the equities because they mold to the ear. Personally on my horses I use the equifit and the plughz. On one horse I ride sometimes, I use the fuzzy ones, but only because she's palomino and they match her ears the best.

Clicker train him to put his head down for them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I rode at one H/J barn that used them all the time, both at home and at shows, so I always had them in my bag. Now I'm riding a different discipline that hasn't even considered every using ear plugs. One pom fell out of my riding bag, and I had to explain why I had a fluffy puff ball in with my riding stuff!
    The truth is always in the middle.

Default Cat toy for ear plugs!!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    i think these are like what I've gotten (can't tell size for sure from pic):

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

For show, colored them with magic marker (I have all bays). Home use stayed neon so I can see and remember to remove them.
    Yup...those are the ones! They are bar none far better, easier, stay in better, and the horses don't mind them as much...way cheaper than poms too!

It took me awhile to figure out the right cat balls to use. I was using the fuzzy type and at a clinic with a trainer who advocates for earplugs in hunters, my horse shook the fuzzy out. He told me to get cat toys, the little balls they have at Petsmart. So after the clinic, I go browse at the pet store and see all sorts of little balls for cats. Stuffed with catnip, hard with a bell, etc. I can not find anything that looks like I'd want to put it in my horse's ear! So I stuck to the fuzzies, which continue to fall out on a regular basis.

So I'm horse shopping and one I try has earplugs in. Little foam cat toys! Aha! I'm not a cat person at all, so I had no clue they were little spongy balls. Finally I find them, now that I have a clue what I'm looking for. At least I didn't try the catnip or bell balls.

1 members found this post helpful.

I uses the poms on one of mine. Best method I have found is to just roll them into the ear and then when you take them out just roll them out, instead of shoving them in and grabbing at them to take them out. My horse has gotten to where he doesn't even shake his head after their in.
    A while back I had another horse who I used a different type of ear plug and I would put them in his ears once I was mounted and took them out before I unmounted. I could not get them in from the ground or via stool but he did not seem to mind when I did it from his back.
    M
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Some horses I think object to the feeling of the foam balls pushing on their ear hair so keeping the ears clipped may help. I use some combo of bribery and neck twitching depending on the horse. I'm reasonably ambidextrous so can twitch with either hand while inserting with the opposite hand.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Some horses I think object to the feeling of the foam balls pushing on their ear hair so keeping the ears clipped may help. I use some combo of bribery and neck twitching depending on the horse. I'm reasonably ambidextrous so can twitch with either hand while inserting with the opposite hand.
    This too, my horse wouldn't stop shaking his head two weeks ago, and when we too this ear plugs out he was fine. The next day he got clipped and he was fine with them again.

Another vote for the twitch. My mare HATES getting ear plugs put it, but once they're in, she's fine. With the twitch on, she stands like a princess and it's not a huge ordeal.

We've always used the soft kind. Used to make them out of yarn. Now we just buy them.(the fuzzy ones) most of ours don't live them but dislike them much less when ears are clipped. If they're too hairy, I think they are not comfortable. Hence, the head shaking.

They have soundproof fly bonnets these days too. The ears are lined with a thin, dense, lightweight liner that blocks sound.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!