The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to Clean the Horse that is Never Clean

So my horse is never clean. ever.

We had him clipped this winter, but over the course of a week (about one month after clip), his hair grew back. And LONG.

I've been bathing him with equine shampoo every couple days (it's already very warm here!) and doing some serious currying, brushing, etc. But the dirt still won't come off! Plus he is a PAIN during bath time.. It's not really shavings but just TONS of DIRT!

I'm thinking of maybe trying a vacuum, even though he's pretty sensitive to that.

So... 1. What suggestions do you guys have? Just keep shampooing? Try a vacuum? And... 2. Is it too late to clip? Or do you think he'll just shed this hair if I keep currying and currying and currying?
    He's about to be switched from a dirt paddock to a grass one (I suppose there's dirt in that one as well, just covered with grass).
    Thanks!

Can you just sheet him? That keeps the dirt at bay, obviously.

During this time of year it's really hard to get them deep-down clean, but I sometimes use a hot towel, rung out to almost dry, and rub them down. That gets that dusty dirt off.

FYI, if you clip year round it's never too late to clip. All our horses are clipped year round and kept touched up and just extra blanketed in the winter. It never get below 20 here at night so generally they're all good inside with proper blankets on. Makes keeping my boy clean much easier. He wears a sheet at all times, and a hoodie thing when it's cold. I groom everyday and well.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

lots of shampooing may dry him out.

showsheen or the like (not on saddle/tack areas!) does help repel stains a bit. When you say dirty do mean stains or dust/dirt? If it is dirt, curry & vac. Hopefully you can get him used to it.

I do the towel trick (mentioned above) when I groom to get dust off. After I curry & brush for about 100 hours, horse is still dirty. I wipe down with a slightly damp towel & it works wonders. I have used baby wipes to get off urine stains.

Yep the dirt/dust thing! Thanks for the towel tip - will try that tomorrow.

And good about the clipping - there are so many rumors about when to clip or whatever. I'm pretty bad at clipping, so I usually pay someone to take care of it for me.

First clip him. It is never too late to clip most are clipped year round. Second order lucky braids shampoo and whitening spray. The shampoo is magical! The whitening spray I like to look at a the reverse side of a magnet it in a sense repels dirt from sticking. Obviously if he rolls in mud it will stick but if he is super dusty it helps keep the dust at bay and keeps them (all colors) cleaner longer. Your horse will be shinier then you ever expected!

Clip him and keep him clipped, at the very least through the winter coat months. This goes a long, long way.

Keep him rugged up with a hood. Sheets and blankets in the winter. Flysheets in the summer.

The better you groom, the cleaner he stays. Using a rub rag liberally.

For whatever reason, I find that additional fat in their diet helps keep them "clean." Maybe they are just shinier, so the dust doesn't look so dingy, but I think it helps.

curry, vacuum, repeat 2/3 times. After a few days your horse will get used to the vacuum. OR you can use Healthy Hair Care (the pink stuff you dilute in water) and one of the rub rags with the rubber in them (shamwows work well too)

Not gonna I lie I also use the Pledge trick. Pledge on a rag then rub down.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Thank you, COTHers. I'm planning on trying each trick till one works!

BTW - I do keep him blanketed/sheeted/etc., during the winter. He's still a dirty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    So my horse is never clean. ever.

We had him clipped this winter, but over the course of a week (about one month after clip), his hair grew back. And LONG.

I've been bathing him with equine shampoo every couple days (it's already very warm here!) and doing some serious currying, brushing, etc. But the dirt still won't come off! Plus he is a PAIN during bath time.. It's not really shavings but just TONS of DIRT!

I'm thinking of maybe trying a vacuum, even though he's pretty sensitive to that.

So... 1. What suggestions do you guys have? Just keep shampooing? Try a vacuum? And... 2. Is it too late to clip? Or do you think he'll just shed this hair if I keep currying and currying and currying?
    He's about to be switched from a dirt paddock to a grass one (I suppose there's dirt in that one as well, just covered with grass).
    Thanks!
    Hmmm - have you had him checked for Cushings? A symptom of that is fast coat growth. Also white vinegar rinse will clean him up if only for a little while. And oil in his grain. When you groom, finish with a towelling all over to bring out sebum.

How clean are your blankets? How clean are your grooming tools? If either or both are dirty, it isn't going to help your case.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    How clean are your blankets? How clean are your grooming tools? If either or both are dirty, it isn't going to help your case.
    Ditto this and the rub rag suggestion. IMHO the rub rag is the most underutilized and really effective tools around. I put a couple of spray of fly spray on mine - or marigold spray - and groom away. My sensitive horses always loved it (actually all of mine love it), gets them clean, does good things for toning MY arms.

I haven't clipped anyone in the past few years and we have 2 grey (white) ponies who enjoy the long tradition of all grey ponies: standing on one's head in fresh manure and grinding one's body into the blackest, nastiest mud available. Curry, vacuum (if you have one), brush, brush, brush, rub rag - we follow this whether clipped or not.

I vacuum my Arab about once a week. I have a curry with longish 'fingers' on it and curry then vacuum 2-3 times. It takes about half an hour, but I'm left with a shiny, dark bay instead of a dingy dun-ish colored beast.

I agree with clipping -- once I discovered how easy it was to keep a clipped grey clean I never looked back.

However, of course now I have 2 black horses and they do NOT look good clipped -- they turn mousey. Shop vac with curry attachment works reasonably well to keep the worst of the mud down -- and definitely blankets.