The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Default PSA: For those who purchase from Amira Equi (amirashop.co.uk)

I have posted several times on COTH about great deals and service I have gotten buying through amirashop.co.uk. In the past I have found their prices better than US retailers and their shipping has been fast, so they are often the first place I look when shopping for pricey stuff, like show coats, breeches, etc.

In mid January, I placed an order for a Pikeur coat, expecting to have a similar good experience. Unfortunately, it was anything but, and to date not only do I not have the coat I purchased, but I have not had a single reply to any of my emails asking for an update or a status. Today, I posted a complaint on their FB page, noting sadly that there were quite a few other posts that referenced long wait times and poor communication. In prior cases, it seemed like Amira responded to those posts ... at least through the end of February. However, there don't seem to be any current discussions and my post was removed without comment almost immediately.

Since they no longer show that coat on their website, I would guess they no longer have them available. If that is the case I am not sure why they would not offer a refund or at least a substitute item, but they have not done so.

Of course I have advised my bank of the situation and filed the necessary paperwork to dispute the charge ... but it's a hassle. Just wanted to give my fellow COTH-ers a heads up in the hopes that no one else will encounter the same problem.

I am so bummed. I have recommended this shop to so many people and have always been very pleased with their service. Never thought they would just take my money and go on their merry way with it!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

5 members found this post helpful.

that is a bummer. Earlier this year my trainer placed an order with them (at my suggestion) for Pikeur breeches. It took two months for them to get to her...apparently they had to wait for Pikeur. Fortunately though when she emailed them about it, they actually responded. So I hope you hear something soon!

1 members found this post helpful.

So sad. I got both my GPAs from Amira (back when the exchange was preferable) and I was looking forward to ordering a softshell from them

Thanks for advising us, I was just about to order from them!

I've had slow service too (about 3-4 months to get a pair of breeches) and the reply to my email inquiry did take a couple of days - but I did get a response. Perhaps they are out on some sort of spring break? Have you tried actually calling the store?

I ordered a shadbelly for DH last summer and was told it would take 4-6 weeks (they had to wait on Pikeur... I think they don't keep much stock, they must just place the orders w/ the manufacturers after they get them). It took about double that (12 weeks) until my order actually made it. I was very nervous though, as I also saw the aforementioned Facebook complaints while waiting for my order. It did eventually make it to my door, but I don't know that I'd order from them again... not great customer service and very bad communication. I think it's a small operation (I only ever dealt with one woman, who also seems to be the one responding- or not- to the Facebook complaints), but still...
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Lucassb is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Well... I did finally hear from them this morning, a week after I sent the last email (and the day after I instructed my bank to file a dispute.)

The verbiage was the same as the responses to the other inquiries on FB (so sorry, we know the order's been delayed, we're waiting on Pikeur and we've been chasing them for your coat, but good news! It's almost ready to ship and you should have it any day now...)

I think Faybe might well be right and they just place orders with Pikeur when they need something. Years ago, when I briefly worked for a company that did order management software for retail applications, it was common for manufacturers not to "do" orders for one or two things; you either had to wait for a production run or place an order of a certain dollar value. I have no idea if Pikeur works that way but if so, it might explain a lot. Although I still wonder about the timing and how they always seem to be "just a few days away" from having your order after you make a complaint.

I dunno. Based on my prior good experiences with them, I am hoping that that's true and I actually get the coat I paid for in January. I bought it to use at a show that we're going to next weekend so if it's here in time, great. Otherwise, I told them i won't need it and don't want it. Sigh.

But I think I am going to add myself to the list of "not buying from them again/too much hassle and poor communication."
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I ordered a pair of breeches for a friend's daughter last year, also Pikeur, and it took a few months. Whenever I would enquire they had an excuse about how they were out of stock and had to send directly to the Pikeur manufacturing plant for them (its still Europe, how long could it possibly take?), and their final excuse was that they were being made as a special order as they no longer had any breeches in that color (fuschia, I admit not a common color). The breeches did finally arrive but not without a lot of emailing back and forth on my part and it was over a period of several months.

What a shame! My GPAs all came from them and I always recommended them. I wonder what happened?
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I think their service is ok but you have to place an order accepting that it could take up to 3 months or so to receive it. So you should never order anything from there if you want it in a hurry! I haven't heard anyone say they are dishonest, just slooooow moving.

I think they are dependent on the manufacturers and don't keep much in stock. You just need to know that when you order. They were very prompt answering my email inquiries about my jacket I ordered.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Also, I wonder if Pikuer (or whatever mfgr they order anything from at any given time) require a minimum order. A mfgr is not going to send one thing at a time to a shop (unless it is a mfgr that will drop ship individual, expensive items, like saddles). For smaller items, a shop might have to have a minimum order of $500 or $1000. So if a shop doesn't want to keep any inventory and/or doesn't have the $$ to keep anything in stock... They have to wait until enough people order that mfgr's products before they can submit a minimum order......
    Last edited by headsupheelsdown; Mar. 23, 2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: punctuation

I have ordered from them several times. In my experience I have learned to email with their customer service people (who have always been super helpful) to inquire as to the actual status of what I'm looking for. When I've ordered custom Pikeur breeches (I picked the colours as I wished), it took about 3 months for them to arrive. I've also placed 'rush' orders for breaches (birthday gift for a friend), and by talking with their sales staff made sure that they had them in stock (those arrived in about 2 weeks).

I find that the more common items (i.e. boots, bits, standard breaches) arrive quickly. If you are ordering in the more custom territory (specific size/type of coat) you'll be stuck waiting for Pikeur to make it, ship to them and then send over to you.

Honestly - now that I've figured it out and have adjusted my timeline expectations, I'm fine with it... hopefully your jacket gets to you soon!

Just bumpin' was considering ordering a coat in their clearance area as well as some child's breeches. Am I still expecting a 3-4 month wait? the kid may outgrow them! ha ha

I think a lot of retailers have adjusted their inventory orders down the past few years due to the economy. So when they run out of stock it takes longer to replenish due to minimum volume orders with certain manufacturers.

I ordered from them a couple weeks ago and got my coat faster than I expected. It was a sale item and was exactly what I ordered I got a navy Pikeur Skarlett with a bronze McCrown collar for just over $200! I plan on ordering a brown coat from them this fall.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

just thought I'd update, I placed an order about 10 days ago, promptly received an email that both items would be ordered from Pikeur and everything shipped out yesterday, so less than 10 days start to finish including getting the items in stock. It's all in the hands of the mail now, but so far I am pleased with the timing and responsiveness. now whether or not the items will fit is another matter altogether!