The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Honda View Post
    I do believe you have my cell #? I'm not going to the Expo, I have to go pick up my kiddlings from the coast that weekend. Shoot me a text, and I can meet you somewheres!
    I'm not sure where I put it...send it to me again, pretty please?

I am looking forward to both my lessons.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
    Schoolmaster lessons are so invaluable, but they really do make you humble! They are wonderful to help you progress, though, so I think it's a great idea for you to be doing it.

I took about 6 months of lessons on a schoolmaster last year, and to start I could barely steer; horse taught me pretty quick not to lean (bad habit of mine). The first lesson was so frustrating and embarrassing I cried. But I stuck with it and eventually I fixed a lot of bad habits on that horse and was able to take the skills I learned back to my own mare and see improvement. Definitely a worthwhile experience and something I will do again in the future.
    The toughest lessons I ever took, and I've been riding since I was a child, were on a PSG schoolmaster. I couldn't get him to do diddly for so many lessons because my aids were noisy and wrong, and my balance not good. But stick with it and it will make you a better rider in a number of ways, IMO:

1. Most obviously skills improve.
    2. Discernment - you are able to diagnose your issues more accurately.
    3. Humility. You thought you knew a damned thing!

Lessons on a schoolmaster with a master of a trainer -worth their weight in gold.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

WELL....

I ended up riding the mare for the clinic (schoolmaster lesson is tomorrow). I was able to get a ride in on her last night and she was astoundingly good, considering she's had 3 months completely off and the 3 before that she was only worked sporadically (and not correctly, either - she was with someone else). The ride this morning went well, we had some really good moments of connection and I think if I can make time to work her on a regular basis and solidify that connection again, I could actually take her out and progress through First and Second relatively easily.

It was a productive day. I'm glad for the optimism I feel about this mare - my gelding has an ugly stone bruise and will be taking some time off. I already committed to riding on a team at a GMO show in about 6 weeks - at least I'll have the mare to fall back on if he's not ready to go!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.