The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Netg, what kind of magic saddle did you get?

My happy news is that I am healing really well and quickly from shoulder surgery. I hope to be cleared to ride within a few weeks.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was all ready for my first dressage schooling show in 20 years with my own horse, who I have just been trail riding for years. Then he refused to get in the trailer to go! Another rider offered me her draft/Trak cross for the test and I rode her for the first time with about 5 minutes warmup and we got a 70%. Mostly her lovely gaits, etc., but I was proud and happy with myself for not dissolving into a puddle of self-pity.

2 members found this post helpful.

happy #1: taking lessons regularly (on a school horse, but actually Climbing On).

happy #2: my coach suggested I might want to bring my own saddle, since she didn't have one to fit me. Not only did my old saddle fit said schoolie saint perfectly(! when does this HAPPEN?),

happy #3: she was right (of course) and everything suddenly became a LOT easier once I wasn't being jammed into a position.

Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Netg, what kind of magic saddle did you get?

My happy news is that I am healing really well and quickly from shoulder surgery. I hope to be cleared to ride within a few weeks.

No magic, just a saddle which happens to fit us both well. It's a Dresch. So far I'm loving it!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

#1 - I'm happy to have genuine horse friends! I don't come from a horsey background, so this is pretty new to me - and The Best. It's so nice to be able to share something that's so important to me with people who care about me and understand where I'm coming from.

#2 - Finding my zen. Realizing that it's okay to be where I'm at. Enjoying my barn time and interacting with horses again.

#3 - The right trainer at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by West End Girl View Post
    #1 - I'm happy to have genuine horse friends! I don't come from a horsey background, so this is pretty new to me - and The Best. It's so nice to be able to share something that's so important to me with people who care about me and understand where I'm coming from.
    This one :-)

Another one from this morning. My filly has had a fever - there's a virus going around which only shows up as fever in some horses, but settles into the respiratory system on others. Her fever was gone yesterday, but after she did a little bit of coughing I started her on antibiotics and the vet already had me giving her bute. She won't eat them mixed with good things, and I have to make the powders into paste to get them into her which she really hates.
    But this has been great for her ground training! Whenever she was in the pastures she was out with other horses, and if annoyed by them would push them away with her shoulder or haunches. Of course, then, when I was annoying her with medicine she tried the same on me. At first she was confused, but today she put herself on a circle around me in the stall instead of fighting or trying to shove me out of her way. After going around a few times she stopped and let me bute her with no problem. I then took her out to play a little so she could have some fun time with me - and decided to see if she would walk around me in circles on my command. Sure enough, the work I've been doing with her in the stall translated and she now longes!

After emergency surgery last October to relieve pressure on my spinal cord I am back in the saddle again. Earlier today I had my third lesson in as many weeks and will bump it up to two lessons a week, starting this week.

I think I am ready for some trot work, and my instructor thinks so, too.
    Sheilah
    P.S. My gelding has been a rock star, too! Even though it has been windy and cold-ish, he walks me around as safe as can be.

We had a show with our greenie first time out only going 90 days and he did really well 63% in TL and 2nd for the show and in stormy terrible weather.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

OOH! I love this thread! What great stories above! I'm thinking good healing thoughts for all of those recovering from injuries/surgeries.

OK - so much to be thankful for. Still loving my adorable, sound, sweet, kind, right horse at the right time, right trainer, etc. Horsie is showing in his second dressage show this weekend with plans for Saturday rides with the trainer and Sunday rides with his Mom (that's me!). He's now on alfalfa and supplements, had his hocks injected, and is feeling GOOD! He thinks he's the bomb right now. I have been wearing my big girl breeches and my big girl t-shirt with "Champion" on the front and "keep calm and trot on" on the back, and we've been practicing managing through spooks/shying/bad behavior. That's my concern...not worried about the score at this point. He's definitely one who likes to look at EVERYTHING, so we are working on keeping him focused on ME. Or should I say, we've been focused on keeping me focused on actually riding him versus freezing up on top of him. Today he looked hard at my fleece hanging on the rail (gasp), and did a bit of gentle sideways movement, but I kept my inside leg gently on and he responded well. If I just ride him effectively, he's fine. Hmmm...

I'm thankful that even if I am not the bravest rider, I can braid well, I groom well and often, and I can give a mean bath, so even if I don't get to ride, at least I get to watch my trainer ride a pretty, clean, happy horse, this time without the hearts on his neck as his winter fuzz has shed.

Very excited also that my new saddle is in (very early!), and hopefully will have it fitted in early April. Also very excited that (hopefully) this is the last capital expenditure for horsie that I will have for a while, as I can't imagine that he needs anything else.

Nervous about the show, but I'm going to be a big girl, even if I have to wear my t-shirt mentioned above under my show shirt. At least the dreaded miniature horses are gone from the show grounds, which would have added to my concern.

Also have found my horse zen...so happy to be able to share time with this special creature.

I am happy because my horse is practicing his kung fu again.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    OOH! I love this thread! What great stories above! I'm thinking good healing thoughts for all of those recovering from injuries/surgeries.

OK - so much to be thankful for. Still loving my adorable, sound, sweet, kind, right horse at the right time, right trainer, etc. Horsie is showing in his second dressage show this weekend with plans for Saturday rides with the trainer and Sunday rides with his Mom (that's me!). He's now on alfalfa and supplements, had his hocks injected, and is feeling GOOD! He thinks he's the bomb right now. I have been wearing my big girl breeches and my big girl t-shirt with "Champion" on the front and "keep calm and trot on" on the back, and we've been practicing managing through spooks/shying/bad behavior. That's my concern...not worried about the score at this point. He's definitely one who likes to look at EVERYTHING, so we are working on keeping him focused on ME. Or should I say, we've been focused on keeping me focused on actually riding him versus freezing up on top of him. Today he looked hard at my fleece hanging on the rail (gasp), and did a bit of gentle sideways movement, but I kept my inside leg gently on and he responded well. If I just ride him effectively, he's fine. Hmmm...

I'm thankful that even if I am not the bravest rider, I can braid well, I groom well and often, and I can give a mean bath, so even if I don't get to ride, at least I get to watch my trainer ride a pretty, clean, happy horse, this time without the hearts on his neck as his winter fuzz has shed.

Very excited also that my new saddle is in (very early!), and hopefully will have it fitted in early April. Also very excited that (hopefully) this is the last capital expenditure for horsie that I will have for a while, as I can't imagine that he needs anything else.

Nervous about the show, but I'm going to be a big girl, even if I have to wear my t-shirt mentioned above under my show shirt. At least the dreaded miniature horses are gone from the show grounds, which would have added to my concern.

Also have found my horse zen...so happy to be able to share time with this special creature.
    Awww, I loved his hearts!

Good luck this weekend - sorry I won't get up there to cheer you on!

Thanks, netg!! I loved the hearts as well! They curried right out. Should have left them dirty. Thanks for the well wishes...will let you know how things go! I'm excited that things are going so well for you and the boy! Brave girl!

I am in love with my horses all over again. My two have been off work since Mid October, and all I have done is fret about how I am going to achieve my goals. After the worst winter in a long time, my arena is dry and been riding for two weeks. They both are great! Got my changes better than ever and my younger horse is starting to understand collection and is changing rapidly! I feel like I did when I was a kid, anxiously awaiting the next time I get to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    No magic, just a saddle which happens to fit us both well. It's a Dresch. So far I'm loving it!
    Tried to google it and all I found were your blog comments.

Very excited also that my new saddle is in...Also very excited that (hopefully) this is the last capital expenditure for horsie that I will have for a while, as I can't imagine that he needs anything else.
    Good luck with that!
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Default lol!!!

Good luck with that!
    lol!! yes, maybe until this weekend . sigh. who needs a retirement account??

Horse: a large, solid-hoofed herbivorous mammal with the unique ability to adapt itself to fill any budget.

I rode dressage in a dressage test for the first time ever on Friday. I have been showing for 5 years, and on Friday in warm-up, for the first time ever, I felt that soft, forward, round, confident rides-like-butter in a show. The sun came out and angels were singing all around.

Needless to say she then got a flea in her ear and shook her head like crazy the whole first half of the test and it was by far our worst score ever, but We Don't Care, because I RODE DRESSAGE IN THE ARENA, and didn't sit there like a stuffed mannikin hauling on the reins and grinding my teeth I think I even breathed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, netg!! I loved the hearts as well! They curried right out. Should have left them dirty. Thanks for the well wishes...will let you know how things go! I'm excited that things are going so well for you and the boy! Brave girl!
    I don't feel like I'm so brave - he tries so hard almost all the time, that trying to improve so I can work through his brain fart days seems a very small thing to do in return. Plus, well, I want to get better anyway!

Tried to google it and all I found were your blog comments.
    Ha! That's hilarious! http://www.saddlerydresch.com/ They're new here, but I basically picked them for the saddle fitter, not for the brand of saddle. Of course if they hadn't had a tree type which was a great shape for my horse's back I would have felt differently anyway. It's interesting - I only find them if I google Dresch Saddlery, not just Dresch.

I finally realized I don't care if we ever go to any off-farm shows, the mare I lease is fine for me and I will ride her until the day they kick me off. I'd rather ride nicely at our farm and enjoy my time with her than find a horse that can handle regular showing and not have that connection. It was a nice horsey zen moment.

I finally have a talented horse to ride! I rode her for the first time today, and I was so happy I almost cried. I'm so excited for the future

It's great to be riding again!
    "There are times when you can trust a horse, times when you can't, and times when you have to."