The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Time for a happy things (big and small) thread!

I haven't been here much, and therefore haven't started one in a while, so what are your personal victories and happy moments you wish to share?

I just got my first ever custom made for me and my horse saddle last night. My horse made it pretty clear he loved it as he lifted his withers and back, bent his hind legs and relaxed into movement. The saddle just makes me WANT to sit correctly without thought, and I have the sore muscles today to prove I was riding more correctly in it!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

Netg, congrats on the custom saddle. Hoping one day I might be able to afford one!

My happy thing is Mare and I are moving April 1 to a new barn where she won't be so lonely. She'll get to go out in a huge pasture with 8 other horses. Hoping it will help her feel more secure and happy. The facilities are nicer and closer to home too so I'll be able ride more

I was able to do a true dinner plate canter pirouette the other day, something I have never even seen my horse do with my trainer and which I have only done with push button Grand Prix horses. My trainer *could* do it of course, but doing something new-to-me with him was wonderful. I think I yelled "it's happening!" As mentioned in the saddle fitting thread, he's also happier than he's been in months due to this magical new saddle. His crankypants have disappeared.

Congratulations on your saddle! Very exciting.

And Lilypad, how I envy your huge pasture. I hope your horse is very happy.

My remedial, freebe, Arab is starting to get the in-hand work!
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

My mare gave an entire family pony rides on Sunday. She is new at this. I was proud of her.

She let 4 strangers at her with brushes (pretty much at the same time), and was patient while they all took their riding turns. They were amazed to learn they could turn her with their bodies.

For some reason she kept looking to the smallest of the kids for treats. I guess small people = treats, so smallest = most treats?

Due to financial, time, and school/career reasons, I had to put my beloved mare out on a full lease. It broke my heart and I stressed like a mother sending her child to college around the world. But worse because it's my horse!!!

Anyway, it worked out perfectly. Her foster mommies love her, the trainer and facility are all I could ever ask for, and she's spoiled rotten. It makes me so happy to see her healthy, sound, and happy. She's doing only first/some second level work so it's a perfect balance of moving but not over working and she's being such a great teacher for a chestnut mare. It's SUCH a relief knowing others can in fact treat her well

3 members found this post helpful.

My coach finally got it through my thick skull that sitting back and sitting on my pockets will allow me to use my seat correctly! Gone was my horse's confusion over my aides and leg-yields were so simple *light bulb moment* Made me wish I could have connected the dots a long time ago!

This may seem a little basic, but I have finally started to fix my rounding/on the bit problem! I finally know what it feels like (or at least, starting) to ride a horse back to front
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

After a couple of months of just riding for fun, a bad accident (not horse's fault), and the cold cold weather we've been having, I've started back in to schooling mode. Took the 101 Exercises book and just picked some things out and started working on them. Horse seems to like change of pace and challenge. I'm trying to get back into top shape before a clinic in April with my favorite coach.

I seem to have gotten horse's fear of the dreaded arena door 95% conquered. It's nice to be able to work in the whole arena without hysteria!

I have discovered the key to a good riding session - 10-15 min of free walking in all sorts of patterns and configurations. Gets him warmed up, gets his little pea brain settled down (especially since he's been in a lot lately), and seems to get him just a little bored so he's ready to get to work.

And, I got a call for a job interview last night. Since I was furloughed due to the sequester, it was back on the job market. Hope this goes well so I can keep Mr Ay-rab in shoes, hay, and clinic rides.

4 members found this post helpful.

I just walked in from riding 3 of mine and I'm in a great mood

The day started off with torrential rain, which was blown away by crazy wind. I had totally written off riding when I realized that I'd rather ride in gusty wind and sun than pouring rain and no sun (which is the forecast for tomorrow). So off I went, and ended up with 3 fabulous rides!

But the thing I'm truly, truly happy for right now is the fact that my 5yo gelding just started showing his real potential. He's been through the eff-ing fours and fives for the last 7 months and had me at my wit's end with his "you're not my mom!" attitude and sudden decision that EVERYTHING is spooky. I'm suddenly getting glimpses of the horse that he's going to be when he's past all of that and I'm very happy that there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

After 5 months of rest and rehab for a stifle injury, my boy just got cleared to go back into full work. One of the kids at our barn is going to show him this year because her horse is currently ill and not able to work. I'll ride a few tests as well.

This is going to seem wierd but I'm building a working relationship with my gelding again. He's been off (and on and off again) due to foot problems for two and a half years now, which involved extensive periods of stall rest and understandably a lot of bad behaviour on his part (I've been riding my mare instead during this time). All of this happened between the ages of five and seven, when he was also going through the "testing" period, so his work ethic was a mess and I think his mental health, if horses have such a thing , was not the best. I was really worried about him.

We're just working on the ground on simple things but I can tell that he's enjoying it, he's enjoying the work and the positive feedback and I'm getting my fantastic, solid-citizen horse back again. He may just turn out to be a mosey on the trail horse, I may do some in-hand work with him, who knows, but I feel like we can work together again and appreciate each other. It's funny, I had someone else riding him (who is more of a crash-test dummy than I am), I thought they would click and they didn't. He needs me.

I just got back from a really wonderful ride on my coming 5 year old gelding. He finally seems to grasp the concept of working round/on the bit. Walk and trot are consistent, and canter is coming along (left is better than right). I've been getting glimpses of how good he could be over the last couple rides.

Last week, I got bucked off of a coming 4 year old (he's been here a month and he's uber-sensitive). I didn't break or seriously tear anything!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Wow, I love all the great stories!

My happy story is I just got a new horse!

I was looking at this horse last fall to purchase, and at the same time was talking to someone about a lease (different horse). The horse got sold before I could buy him, so I emailed the new owner to find out if she'd sell him to me before he even got to her farm. She said yes but his price went way up, so I went ahead with the lease.

A few months in to the lease, and the gal who bought the horse I had wanted emailed me and asked if I was still interested in him. She had some unexpected expenses and needed to move him. I told her I had committed to this lease and didn't want to do anything until it was over, but I passed her info to my trainer.

Fast forward to end of February. The horse I was leasing had lameness issues that could not be resolved, so I ended the lease. A few days later, I got another email from her asking me if I knew ANYONE who would be interested. Needless to say, I was...

He arrived last week! I'm so excited. He is my dream horse and I feel so blessed to have the chance to own a horse like him.

Two things for me -

My first horse just started back to light work after a 9 month lay-up due to a pasture injury and subsequent surgery. We're taking it slow and it will be a long road back, but he is so happy to have a "job" again. I am a relieved mom and am keeping my fingers crossed that we can get him back to a workload he will enjoy and keep him sound.

The second reason I'm happy is a pretty crazy story. I just watched my trainer work with a horse I bought last summer and am in awe of how he continues to improve.

I bought him as a GP schoolmaster. He was a steal - out of shape and a correct, but not an overly flashy mover.

I have NO idea what happened but my trainer has unlocked a different horse! After figuring out I'd bought a much nicer horse than we had originally thought, I started researching his past. I was able to find a video of him in Germany and found out that he qualified for the Bundeschampionat and was imported for big bucks. He was then sold in a divorce firesale to another woman who couldn't ride him and that's how I ended up with him. There's no way I could have afforded him if he was moving like this before!!

It will take me years to catch up with him, but after 8 months and days like today I am still pinching myself! He is my dreamhorse all the way down to the color!

I'm celebrating finally getting a Balance saddle. Been wanting one for years. It fits me and the horse and now we just need the weather to give us a break so we can take some lessons in it. Have been using my Bob Marshall endurance model up 'till now so can't wait to see how the lesson goes with the Balance. Yippee!!

Moved to a new barn today and despite not leaving property in over 3 years she was a champ. Once we arrived she settled in and gave me some really nice relaxed stretchy W/T work under a covered arena in the rain. I was really proud of my old lady.

I'll throw in my HAPPY THING: After a crappy 4th quarter and early 2013, I'm back in the saddle again Never thought rehab could be so much fun! Mare injured her withers in November - mystery event, but they looked like a football, hot, VERY painful. Big pocket of fluid on ultrasound. In December she got gas colic and a displacement, had surgery before Christmas. Surgery went well and was straight forward. She was back in turnout in a month, withers finally resolved around that time, and we did our first ride the last week in Feb. Stamina and strength are on the way back!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My comng-6-year-old QH mare who sustained a mysterious soft-tissue injury deep inside the hoof capsule, who's been on pasture lay-up ever since, was declared sound and good to go by the vet the other day!

Now I've got to round up the Caliente and the flak jacket & get back on!