The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pain control in the post partum mare?

We have a mare who foaled early on the 17th, at 362 days gestation. The foal was not large but it was a very difficult delivery for her, requiring assistance. She was fine for about 18 hours, at which point she started exhibiting uterine discomfort. She is passing manure and urine normally, but is off her feed almost completely. She will nibble hay and grain, but not dig in and eat. She wants to lay down an roll often, then seems comfortable for awhile before she gets "crampy" again. She is not violent and is taking good care of her foal.

We did Bute to start, but because she is not eating I am reluctant to continue with that. She is going on ulcer meds today and the Vet is researching other pain control options. The Vet, and us are certain she is not colicking, Her temp and gut sounds are normal.

What pain control options are out there?

Always follow the advice of the vet who has seen her!! But, a couple of things to think about...

Perhaps a muscle relaxant like methocarbamol (Robaxin, skeletal muscle) or Buscopan (smooth muscle) might help her if she is indeed "crampy" and not colicky?

I have also had good luck with Previcox (Equioxx) as long as it is being used for lower grade, more chronic pain. I find it relatively ineffective for acute pain.

Good luck, I hope she feels better soon!
    Last edited by Action42; Mar. 20, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added

What does your vet advise? You said the delivery was difficult, did the mare require any post delivery intervention? Did she pass all of the placenta, did the vet check it? Is she crampy all the time or just at certain times? Has the vet been back out to see her?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Somermist View Post
    What does your vet advise? You said the delivery was difficult, did the mare require any post delivery intervention? Did she pass all of the placenta, did the vet check it? Is she crampy all the time or just at certain times? Has the vet been back out to see her?
    The Vet is researching ideas and in touch with her colleagues for their suggestions as well. The placenta was complete. We have done 2 uterine flushes which seems to help the mare feel better for awhile. She is not crampy all the time but the foal nursing aggravates it, one of the reasons we are sure it is uterine pain, not colic.

I would worry about a bit of retained placenta. What the vet think??
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Ok, well if her temp is normal, I would wonder if there is not some trauma that is causing her discomfort. If this was a difficult delivery, perhaps she has some unseen trauma. If she had a tear, you would know it by now. No fluid in her abdomen? I assume not, you would notice that. Have you done bloodwork?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Has the mare had an internal exam? Ie ultrasound or been checked for trauma, tears, bruising etc?
    It is possible for mares to be quite damaged inside and hang on for a few days before things really go downhill.
    Also, as the foal suckles this would be causing some oxytocin release which may also have an effect on uterine contractions- could explain why she is in more pain when the foal nurses.
    I would be getting a thorough examination of the mare by an experienced vet. There are several things that can go wrong to cause this sort of pain. Sometimes the pain and clinical signs don't become more obvious until some if the swelling goes down inside. They can be badly torn and even have damage to the major blood vessels, but the initially swelling holds things together... Once this subsides the problem becomes much more obvious and in some cases the outcome is not a happy one.

Hopefully in your case it is no where near as bad, but I would definitely have her condition investigated further.
    Good luck

2 members found this post helpful.

Might also be worth the vet doing a belly tap to see if there is internal bleeding?

I too think pain control is the least of your worries as you need to find out why she is in pain after this much time. Most mares get a shot of banamine or two then they are ok. Jingles it is something easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffi View Post
    They can be badly torn and even have damage to the major blood vessels, but the initially swelling holds things together... Once this subsides the problem becomes much more obvious and in some cases the outcome is not a happy one.

Hopefully in your case it is no where near as bad, but I would definitely have her condition investigated further.
    Good luck
    ^ ^ this ^^

Good luck

The fact that you have already covered a possible retention of a placental tag by the flushes and the timing of this would have me pretty worried that there is some significant internal damage. I'd ask about a belly tap and ask the vet if he has ruled out major internal trauma. Not wishing to freak you out, but better safe than sorry.

I have a mare I give a shot of banamine after delivery for cramps. Just the one shot gets her through. Without it she acts like your mare even though she's never had a difficult delivery.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Go to the Racing Forum and read the recent thread about Rachel Alexandra after her recent foaling. Rood & Riddle had to remove a section of bruised/torn intestine which had started a massive internal infection. About a week after the surgery, they had to go in again to drain an internal abscess.

Foaling damage is not something to put on the back burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    The fact that you have already covered a possible retention of a placental tag by the flushes and the timing of this would have me pretty worried that there is some significant internal damage. I'd ask about a belly tap and ask the vet if he has ruled out major internal trauma. Not wishing to freak you out, but better safe than sorry.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Any update on your mare?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    www.UnleashedK9.net

There is no evidence of internal bleeding and no tears. Thankfully we have a wonderful Vet. It appears that she has some trauma to her pelvis and possibly some nerve bruising. All of which is going to require time but she should recover fine. We won't breed her again.

Did vet recommend not breeding her again?
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    Did vet recommend not breeding her again?
    We had already decided to not breed her again.