The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding cats at a house

Question for you all - why don't more people do this?

Background - as you may have read, I am moving. Unfortunately, things aren't working out as planned, and I might have to keep my cats elsewhere for about a week. I am invited to stay that week at many peoples' homes, but my cats are NOT. Looking at options, I have found numerous places that offer 2x3 cages, and others that are about that wide, but three stories tall. In other words, cages. I have considered in the past offering a bedroom to board cats. While cruising CL, I found a woman who offers either two bedrooms, or her whole house (if your cat is not adverse to sharing with her one cat). Why don't more people offer this? Just curious.

Probably because most cats, unlike many dogs, are far more stressed out by new environments/new routines, & frequently demonstrate that by inappropriate behavior (like urinating/spraying, etc.). By the time they even "think" about settling down, it's already time to go back home. And getting rid of cat "odor" is a real PITA compared with dog. Unless someone has a place set up as a dedicated cattery, I have no curiosity as to why more people aren't willing or interested in giving over all or part of their house to strange cats - even on a temporary basis.

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Added to what Bacardi1 said, I've read that dogs are more attached to people and cats to the space. Cats take much longer to adjust to a move than dogs do, with dogs they're happy as long as their people are around to feed/walk/play with them. My family experienced this when we moved our animals (1 dog; 3 cats). The dog did fine after the car journey, but the cats were stressed out for awhile before they settled. My mom was glad we had all hardwood floors.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Also, most people who are looking for cat care aren't in your particular situation, but are looking for someone who will care for the cats in their own space. Cats are easier to do that with, because you can usually set it up with someone who will come in once or twice a day, clean the boxes and either feed or check the continuous feeder.

Check with the local vets. My vet, for instance, boards. The cats have cages, but, if they are social, they are out during the day. She's cats only and her set up is more like a home area than a vet's office.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Check with the local vets. My vet, for instance, boards. The cats have cages, but, if they are social, they are out during the day. She's cats only and her set up is more like a home area than a vet's office.
    I have checked out vet offices, and found that they are all both cat and dog. I didn't see any where they were let out of their cages, but some did offer one-on-one time for an extra charge. I was thinking a vet's office would be much more stressful for my cats, who have never been around dogs. I did read where cats were attached to space rather than people, but when their space is getting changed, there's no choice!