The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by InjuredAlter View Post
    You're right. Maybe if Jen Alfano's eq wasn't so distracticing, Jersery Boy would've been horse of the year... Oh wait...

I just love that none of the judges have any problem focusing on the horse. I mean, you know, Jenn's rides distracted so much from the mare that she won EVERY first year class at Devon.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Never said that Havens isn't a wonderful rider, I just thought it was distracting! Good riding does not always equal good eq.
    And I will never ride nearly as good as any of the top pros today.
    And good eq does not always equal good riding.....

I didn't find the round the least bit distracting. Beautiful horse and rider.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would give my right arm to be half as distracting as Havens or Jen.

9 members found this post helpful.

I definitely never said bad rider, simply that I found her arms distracting. Lots of pros with plenty nice horses and that are a good 10kx better than me can be distracting at times. Just watch Peter Pletcher's unecessary drama video, he admits to have some of the bad habits himself and he's obviously a very quality rider. I definitely don't deserve being mocked for stating an opinion.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I definitely never said bad rider, simply that I found her arms distracting. Lots of pros with plenty nice horses and that are a good 10kx better than me can be distracting at times. Just watch Peter Pletcher's unecessary drama video, he admits to have some of the bad habits himself and he's obviously a very quality rider. I definitely don't deserve being mocked for stating an opinion.
    No one's mocking you, but there is nothing abnormal about her arms in that video. I understand that people take issue with Peter's ducking habit and Scott Stewart's swingy leg, but there was NOTHING to critique in that video with Haven's, certainly not pertaining to her upper body.

I think distracting was perhaps not the best term. I think Haven's ride is lovely. There is something that looks maybe stiff about her hands. I can't put my finger on it. They don't "flow" with the movement? Or it could be an illusion because she has little bend in her elbows? Lots of reasons that could be, you have to ride the hunter to get the best out of them. I'd look like a spanx wearing monkey on Bacardi.

I would not really have called it distracting but I did notice she was riding in a different manner than I have seen before.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Havens has always had a distinctive style. We were in the same junior class (she kicked my butt regularly lol!). I could pick her out a half mile away in the fog. It is something about her arms/upper body. In no way does that affect her efficacy as a rider though - she can still nail a course!

Probably why she's on the derby circuit and I'm a desk jockey
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

6 members found this post helpful.

i would like to see anyone ride that horse Jen is on any better. She is actually very soft and not at all distracting. The horse has a lot of jump and peraps that is what youa re seeing. As for her riding? I think she is about as perfect a hunter rider as I have seen....no ducking, no flapping and she is allowing her horse to do "its thing", which, I might add, is quite lovely and flowing.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

This thread is the perfect illustration of why I stopped posting links to the live feeds of big classes. Instead of enjoying the sight of nice horses going around the ring, too many people feel the need to nitpick and find fault. They end up hijacking the conversation. See the comments above, comprising the entire second page of this thread so far.

The last straw for me was when a few people made negative remarks about the riding of a 15 year old kid. A kid, I might add, who had been champion or reserve in the junior hunters at WEF to qualify for that class. Clearly a kid who could ride a bit.

I, too, would like to see videos of some of the critics in action so the rest of us can all see how it should be done.

16 members found this post helpful.

Excellent post MHM. I had been thinking of a way to say the same thing. Too bad for some perons who can't enjoy a pretty round without nitpicking the rider. How do they think that round got so pretty?!
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

My list of standout horses so far are:
    Bacardi
    Concept
    Mythical
    Avignion
    Devotion
    Quotable

I have only been watching at WEF, so I am sure there are more
    Last edited by MMF; Mar. 21, 2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added that this is only from WEF

I, for one, enjoy the rounds and would not have made a negative comment about anything. I barely look at the riders, to be honest, as its a hunter round and I don't care WHAT the rider is doing or how they look. I still don't think my comment was negative, just trying to help diffuse posts. Like I said, cliff note, I couldn't do it and love watching the horses that can. Whatever gets them around. I personally LOVE that I can pick top riders out by their style and horses ( to a lesser degree).

Rapunzel is my fav, love the mares.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Distracting? Seriously?

I had to go back and rewatch the video to try and figure out what on earth was distracting people. I was watching the rider...and kept getting "distracted" by Rapunzel's incredible jumping style!
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Lovely horses, thanks for the video links. I love Bacardi's canter.... Adore!

Hunterrider: I thought her arm/elbow was distracting as well fwiw.

Ive never been bothered by jen alfano's riding but I'm also not a Jersey Boy fan. I'll take Brunello over him any day. Jersey boy just always seems bleh and flat to me, at least that's how it comes across in video. He probably looks completely different in person.

People who find Jen or Haven's riding "distracting" have obviously never ridden a really talented horse who wants to use its topline all the way from takeoff to landing.

If the rider sat still and "equitated", the horse would lose its incredible roundness. The rider would also tend to come back early in the air, thereby causing the horse to cut down its arc early and not finish the jump.

But, horses who jump this well can land a little dead and on the forehand, unless the rider is doing several things at once: staying off the horse's back until the hind legs touch the ground, while picking up the front end at the moment of landing so the horse lands balanced, while adding leg to insure that the first stride after the fence is as long as the rest of the strides down the line.

Top riders are not sloppy nor do they interfere with the horse's jump. They help create the jump and the balanced landing while staying totally out of the way in the air to let a talented horse show of its ability.

Try it sometime. 99% of us are so far from being able to ride with this amount of feel and sopistication that we are happy to just find a spot.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    Luckily for her that horse seems like she would keep trucking along even if she was doing back flips up there.
    The horse looks that way because of the rider on its back, not in spite of.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    The horse looks that way because of the rider on its back, not in spite of.

I never said she wasn't talented, effective, or interfering with the horse. It just happened to be when I opened that video my eyes were immediately drawn to her elbows and how bulldoggy they were. I didnt mean it as in it was distracting to the horse. I meant it as distracting in that my eyes left the horse and stuck on the rider.

I ADORE that Bacardi horse. Love his way of going, how animated his canter is and how much expression he has in his face. I wish all of the show hunters were like this, alas so many of them seem so flat to me.

3 members found this post helpful.