The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Weather woes

I'm sure this topic isn't a new one. It's supposed to be spring now and we got snow yesterday. Today it is going to be in the 40's. The rest of the week is 30's-40's with snow. I'm not complaining about the weather because we need the moisture, and I know just because it is spring doesn't mean it's going to be sunny and 70's.

But I just have no motivation to go to the barn at all. Does anyone else feel like this right now? I don't feel like being cold and getting all muddy. I think I have the winter blues, which I've never had before. I just want nice, warm weather so that I can actually work my horses consistently and get them in shape.

I feel like my horses are cranky too with all the up and down weather, which makes going to the barn no fun at the moment. I'm just in a slump and I need to work my way out of it.

Someone please tell me to enjoy this weather while it lasts, because in a few months I'll be complaining about it being 100 degrees with no rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

I almost felt too depressed to answer you. Sigh. It's cold here too, down to below 0 F Tuesday morning, and about 8 this morning. Just barely making it above freezing during the day. It snowed yesterday. It is supposed to snow again tomorrow.

I'm tired of wearing layers and layers of heavy clothes, so that I look like the Michelin woman, and can't bend over to pick things up off the floor. I'm tired of having my hands swell from the cold. I'm tired of listening to my furnace burn through furnace oil.

Believe it or not, on the rare warm day, I've seen mosquitoes flying out above the snow. Yes, lots to look forward to -- mud, mosquitoes, black flies ....

I'm right there with you. I am completely over this weather...

I agree with you, islgrl. This winter is dragging on forever. My daffodils are blooming, and that is the only spring-like thing to see. I'm really tired of wearing a winter coat day in and day out. Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 19 --- which is obscene even in January!

The snow behind my barn (yes, the exact area that I have to shovel through to get to the manure bin) reached 5 feet today after we got a new foot or more yesterday. I am so sick of it. I have to go shovel out my trailer, AGAIN. The paddocks have about 2.5 feet, not too terrible, but that's way more than I want to see on the first day of Spring!

Same here. It warmed up enough last week that a lot of the snow melted, and I even rode outside at night a week ago! And then.... whoooosh! 9 or 10 more inches of snow yesterday. Ugh.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'm with you all too. Have HAD it with this weather.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Sigh. Yes. This is horrible. Yesterday, it was 13 degrees F with 25-30 mph winds. The horses could not go outside (the wind plus ice = not safe at ALL).

This morning, I went out to ride before work. It was 10 degrees F with 20 mph winds. Frankly, I'm amazed I was able to get my horse from the barn he lives in to the indoor arena. I imagine it was a lot like what it would be like if I just grabbed a wild zebra, tacked it up, and tried to lead it around.

Once in the arena, as I attempted to lead the devil's spawn (er, I mean, my sweet gelding) around the arena a bit before getting on, he promptly reared, got one front leg through the reins, and trotted off to the end of the arena with the reins around his leg. Thankfully, he is more of a jerk than an idiot, so once he got down there he stood there looking at me like, "Hey stupid, this thing is caught on my leg" and then let me unbuckle it and free him. We then continued to walk in hand for a while with no further incidents.

Then I lunged him, which was periods of being really good interspersed with acting like he has never lunged before (although I rarely lunge him, he more than knows how - knows voice commands). At one point, he bucked so hard that he bucked his quarter sheet all the way off the right side of his body, where it flapped around as he got more and more upset. Again, thankfully, he is a jerk and not stupid, so stopped right away when I told him to and let me fix the damn thing.

So. Then I got on and had an okay, though quite alert ride. The walk back to his barn was similar to the walk from his barn to the arena, and not something either of us enjoyed.

After all that, I actually consider this morning a success because we both survived it and because he behaved very well when I finally got on him (and no, I did not lunge him to death or anything - that's a big no no in my book - our whole ordeal from start to finish, including the ride, took about 45 minutes).

For the record, I really think a novice child could ride this horse in the summer. He's completely mellow and wonderful during the warmer months. Winter is always a challenge with him, and at this point, I think he is just beyond pissed off about this weather. Can't say I blame him, though I do wish he could be less emotional about it.

I can't take much more!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! With my job changing and the weather I haven't ridden much at all this winter. I had a hard time convincing a lady I'm taking lessons from that I just don't feel up to it and the time I can make it out to the barn I just want to hang out with my horse and watch him run and buck in the arena.

Haha, glad you finished your adventure in one piece. He sounds a lot like my gelding.

I think all my horses feel cooped up, and so do I. I get so excited when it is 55 one day, and get all the horses worked... and then the next day I wake up and it is 10 degrees outside and all my motivation goes out the window.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I am in a weather funk too. It doesn't help that I'm 9 months pregnant and still doing all the barn chores myself. My Carhartts don't zip any more and I'm too cheap to buy a fat suit I'll use for a month. I just want to be warm again!

Mid-20's, snowing and windy here today. The horses don't WANT to go out and spend all day in the horse porch eating hay, which just means I get to shovel poop twice a day whether they are in or out. I'm tired and just want to deliver this baby so I can lie down in a nice comfy hospital bed for 2 days and do nothing, with my meals brought to me. Sounds like heaven...or like the lives of my horses.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Haha, glad you finished your adventure in one piece. He sounds a lot like my gelding.

I think all my horses feel cooped up, and so do I. I get so excited when it is 55 one day, and get all the horses worked... and then the next day I wake up and it is 10 degrees outside and all my motivation goes out the window.
    Thanks, lol. Yeah, he's an interesting horse. I adore him and I truly don't think he means anyone any harm, but he's got a very big "bark" so to speak. The reason I say I don't think he means anyone any harm is that, when it really counts, he is reasonable (like when he got his leg through the reins today...or like the time I slipped on ice and fell UNDERNEATH him while leading him when he was a three year old and he didn't move a muscle...or like the time a small plane flew so low over a field I was riding him in that I could actually see the pilot's face and my horse just stood there like a rock and then carried on with our work).

I'm super jealous that you are getting some 50+ degree days mixed in. We have not been above 35 really all month, and most often much lower than that!

Well I was going to complain until I read fordtraktor's comment. I don't feel to sorry for myself anymore. Not much anyway. Good luck with your new baby!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimateshowmom View Post
    Well I was going to complain until I read fordtraktor's comment. I don't feel to sorry for myself anymore. Not much anyway. Good luck with your new baby!
    I know! Way to steal my thunder fordtraktor. (I'm so totally kidding).

We don't have snow, and are in the teens, but it is cold and the wind is just b$tch'n. I just want to be done. Later into next week it looks like we will skip the thirties and hit the forties, so I can probably cope until then...UNLESS this snow storm they are talking about actually happens and prevents me from going to Omaha Friday to audit the Melanie Smith Taylor clinic. Then I will be beyond peeved/sad/feeling-sorry-for-myself.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Those little hints of warmer weather are killing me. We have had 70's for the last two weekends, going to be in the low 20's tonight.

I am sick and tired of it. I have to drag myself outside in the morning. Come on spring!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks, ultimateshowmom and TTP. But please vent away, everyone deserves to get to complain about winter weather. At least I don't have feet upon feet of snow like some of the posters! And I'm not really missing out on anything too fun since I am not riding right now. I'd be stir crazy to get my horses fitted up too if I were....stay safe on those cranky ponies, everyone!

Thanks for starting this thread. I gave my horses the winter off, purposely planning to resume training on Daylight Savings (March 10th). I was so excited, I had a big yellow circle around the date on my calendar, a nice spreadsheet plan on what we could accomplish before moving to their respective training barns on Apr 1st.

I haven't managed to get on yet. The first weekend wasn't bad weather but it took time to groom the woolly mammoths, fit tack, fix up the fence keeping the arena safe from the paddock, etc.

Then the weather closed in again. It's not like it's really been *that* bad in southern NJ. But I just can't get the motivation to go tack up after work at 40 degrees & 15-20mph winds Not to mention the two TBs are acting like, well TBs in crazy spring weather.

I'll try to "start" again this weekend (should reach 50 at least, though not the near 60 we should be at by now!) If that doesn't work, well they are both going to trainers as wild & woolly as they are now, and I'll have to shamefully admit they are still unhandled wild ruffians! Depressing...

But you all are making me feel glad I don't have melting snow to deal with - I was envious of all the snow parts north were getting - we got barely any, & cold rains make me wish for snow which is at least pretty. But yeah, at least we don't have the melt to worry about!

It *can't* last! I keep peering at the 10 day, one day we will break into the 60's here!

It's that time of year when we expect spring and don't get it.

I actually love winter...and loathe early spring. I really really hate March weather-wise. Cold, warm, cold, warm, rain, snow, sleet, rain, mud, mud, mud. And everything is just ugly, muddy and dreary and the ground is either like walking on a wet sponge, walking through wet cement or walking on frozen solid deep ruts when the muck freezes.
    And the ticks are awake and hungry.
    Ugh!
    Not to mention the season change chaps the heck out of my hands every early spring and late fall. Just not a fan of this.

So complain away...it's normal this time of year. No matter what season you prefer...this month means we see every single season and only the worst parts of each season. You gotta love New England this time of year...breaking ice as a fly lands on you. Make up your mind, Mother Nature!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Me too!!!

I love winter weather but moved from NY to VA so it would only be for a few months - January and February are my down time to rest, regroup, and do inside projects. Well I am rested up, finished taxes, bookkeeping, and even given the house a good cleaning - I am ready to get going on some outside projects.

fordtraktor, your post made me chuckle! When I was pregnant with DD it was the only winter I have ever been truly warm - she was like carrying a heater around! I gained 50lbs with her and none of my winter clothes fit so it was oversized sweaters and sweatshirts. Don't know how close you are but start walking - I had DD right on my due date after spending the day walking up and down hills checking on early calves. Good Luck!!

I've been in a weather funk too. It's supposed to be in the 60's by now.

Forecast says it's going to be in the 40's with snow showers next Monday and the high this weekend is barely 50. WTF?