The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is such an important topic! I don't suppose any attempts to livestream the meetings will be made?

Mary,

I will ask at our meeting on Monday and let you know.

Mary Babick

Quote Originally Posted by ponyflyer View Post
    Jump,

I am happy to help if I can. What information would you like?

Mary Babick
    Thanks Mare...since I don't get Chronicle anymore and most snail mail goes to NY, I wanted to get up to speed on these meetings of which I was unaware! Will be doing my best to get to Old Salem one....and thanks!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    yeah, in other words NOT anywhere near our neighborhood.

Just as well, HCR may be the death of me yet. I think the only left of me come May will be a whimpering, babbling mess. Probably not the best foot forward for a reasoned intelligent discussion (on the off chance one of those actually breaks out in a Town Meeting)
    Well, perhaps we can be whimpering, babbling messes together. HCR is no fun on the provider side of things either, let me tell you.

Oh, and our hospital is planning a total IT conversion - literally every single system and piece of hardware - that they think they can get done over a weekend. (Yes, two days only.) Super idea, don't you think? Yes, I think so too.

Maybe instead of trying to be responsible horsey citizens trying to participate and improve our sport's governance, we should just go get drunk. Sigh.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

hah! My sister is working on a bunch of conversions in some hospitals in another state and they just finished the first debacle, er, I mean conversion.

I made a custom "despair.com" calendar for me and her as an Xmas gift and tried to target the months to the level of despair I knew would apply to each month of this most delightful year (aka the newly discovered 50th circle of Dante's Inferno). This is March. She called me and told me it was an EXCELLENT choice. It's just about summed up my month as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hopedemotivator.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	37857  
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

In answer to the questions asked earlier:

1. The Town Hall meetings will not be live streamed but they will be recorded and available on USEF Network. They will also highlight important take aways.

2. The Town Hall in Lexington, VA will be held on May 1. I haven't been told the time yet but most of them are held at 5:00 p.m. I will be the moderator for both Lexington and Old Salem.

I strongly encourage your attendance. If you cannot attend please take the time to send a written response to USEF.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Mary Babick

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the update Mary!

Bump.

I hope someone who attends tonight's meeting in Wellington will post a report.

"We need to tighten up our rules and insist people cooperate. We can’t fix the problem if we don’t have the enforcement mechanisms to do that. For people who do bad things to horses, we need to throw the book at them. We need to make it hurt.”
    -USEF CEO John Long, speaking today at a USEF Town Hall Meeting to address the Welfare of the Horse in the 21st Century. Full story to come.

- Proequest Facebook Status

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    "We need to tighten up our rules and insist people cooperate. We can’t fix the problem if we don’t have the enforcement mechanisms to do that. For people who do bad things to horses, we need to throw the book at them. We need to make it hurt.”
    -USEF CEO John Long, speaking today at a USEF Town Hall Meeting to address the Welfare of the Horse in the 21st Century. Full story to come.

- Proequest Facebook Status
    Long has added some teeth to his NYT response letter a while back. There, I think he had a more of a "Look how much we have done already and we are Working On It (already)" kind of statement.

I hope he'll walk the talk.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    hah! My sister is working on a bunch of conversions in some hospitals in another state and they just finished the first debacle, er, I mean conversion.

I made a custom "despair.com" calendar for me and her as an Xmas gift and tried to target the months to the level of despair I knew would apply to each month of this most delightful year (aka the newly discovered 50th circle of Dante's Inferno). This is March. She called me and told me it was an EXCELLENT choice. It's just about summed up my month as well.
    OMG, I love that. What a great idea ...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Looks like the town hall meeting will be streaming live....

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-hall-meetings

I notice today's communication of steps to be undertaken has no mention of rule changes. After all it is the. current judging system that causes the problems at least in hj.
    But no surprise it would upset the poster boy and his pals.
    Can not take this seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post

Figures, I did get the 16th and 17th of May off at work to go to KHP specifically to attend the evening of the 16th as published. I was looking forward to a spirited discussion, possibly even participating.

So now it's sitting in front of the telly on June 3 and watching what they choose to show from a distance. Better go online and cancel that hotel-I should have known better then to make plans like that.

I realize they claim they will reach more people that way but they are assuming the live stream is more user friendly then it has been at times and assuming the watchers have updated technology, which many horse folk don't. But they are also taking us, the membership, out of direct personal contact in a town hall setting instead presenting a format the grand pooh bahs dont have to suffer the "little people" taking the dialogue in a different direction then what they intended.

Business as usual.

ETA I notice they say they will take questions from a live audience on the June 3 broadcast? Just who is going to be in that Monday afternoon/evening audience and how would one arrange to be there?? Not that it would be me as I burned 2 personal days for the cancelled town hall format.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post

Did I understand this right?

After a few live things on the East Coast, they'll cancel the rest of the town hall meetings.

Instead, they'll have a single meeting available via the web. No length for the meeting specified.. and (from COTH BB, not the article), they'll allow those not at the venue to ask questions/speak?

With all due respect, this doesn't sound more inclusive to me. You'd have to have a helluva long meeting to let folks all across the country participate in a jingle mammoth meeting.
    Last edited by mvp; Apr. 25, 2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarity
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    After a few live things on the East Coast, they'll cancel the rest of the town hall meetings.
    A few? Was there more than one?

Yeah, MHM, there were about 6 or so coast to coast including KHP and Bend Ore. So much for inclusivity and on with exclusivity
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

That's too bad.
    Have you let them know that you were planning to attend? Did they respond?
    I would make myself heard, if I had made arrangements...

It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the end. If it is almost nothing, perhaps a nice progress report could be sent to the NYT.

I wonder how long they plan to stay for this meeting that's starting at 6pm to discuss this quite important topic nationwide. They should probably plan on three hours but that's not really going to be long enough to exhaust the topic, only the participants.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

But did more than one take place yet?I know one happened at WEF, but I thought the next was scheduled for May.