The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default From MARY BABICK re:Town Hall Meetings

I have been having conversations with Mary Babick about the upcoiming USEF Town Hall Meetings. She has given me permission to use her name and share her thoughts.

"I believe that attendance at the Town Hall is crucial. The USEF will likely craft a rule based on the Medication Summit and the response to the Town Hall Meetings." Mary Babick, a director of USHJA and USEF.

If you have any reservations about attending or making your sentiments known via email, please reconsider.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

More information please...(love Mary!)
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Yes, please share more details.

I hope so. And I'll get off my lazy, cynical, disenfranchized, bitter, proletariat-whose-momma-dresses-her-funny tookus to go to the ones at the Bend, OR shores.

IME, however, Town Meeting events-- those given the name-- are used to give the impression of responsiveness to "stake holders" when there really isn't much. They are usually carefully choreographed.

But I'll be there, dressed funny and everything.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I've been up to my eyeballs in work lately and reading non work related email has not been high on my priorities so maybe I've missed when/where said town hall meetings are (online? In person? in a secret cave in Atlantis? the Barbados? Kentucky? multiple locations?) I've given it my best 10 minute effort (google site search included) on the USEF website for any information on town hall meetings. Either they are cleverly hidden or I am going blind.

The latter is not entirely unlikely, so can somebody try to find them info on USEF and let me know if I am losing it or they are Super Duper Special Secret Town Hall meetings?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I will go to the ones in San Juan Capistrano, CA and Bend, OR. I went last year.

Last year at the meeting at The Oaks the US system of bringing along young horses was discussed and many people stood up and commented about how expensive it is. So this year I see that there is no entry fee for the 5 and 6 year old jumpers classes. However these classes are set at the international young jumper height which is 1.15m for 5 year olds and 1.20 for 6 year olds. I have bred and started a lot of young horses and I can tell you it has to be a pretty special horse to get to that height that quickly. Most horses need a little more time to develop. Not all good horses will end up Grand Prix horses! But that doesn't mean they won't have a nice career as a useful horse, maybe they top out at 1.30 someday, that's still a good division. So anyone with any other 5 or 6 year old still has to pay the full entry fees for 1.0m or 1.10 or whatever their horse is ready for. It's a tiny, little band-aid for a much bigger problem of the cost of development of young horses in this country.

This all came about because of the Town Hall meeting last year. So forgive me if I think the "Town Hall" meetings are a bit of a joke.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I plan to attend the KY one in May. Should any of you like to coordinate a group attendance to this one let me know... together perhaps we can make our voice heard.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

I'll be attending the Town Hall meeting in Wellington next Wednesday.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I've been up to my eyeballs in work lately and reading non work related email has not been high on my priorities so maybe I've missed when/where said town hall meetings are (online? In person? in a secret cave in Atlantis? the Barbados? Kentucky? multiple locations?) I've given it my best 10 minute effort (google site search included) on the USEF website for any information on town hall meetings. Either they are cleverly hidden or I am going blind.

The latter is not entirely unlikely, so can somebody try to find them info on USEF and let me know if I am losing it or they are Super Duper Special Secret Town Hall meetings?
    Hey, if you find out if we have one in our neighborhood, please let me know... maybe we can make an evening of it.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Hey, if you find out if we have one in our neighborhood, please let me know... maybe we can make an evening of it.
    The locations are included in this link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...treatment-perf

yeah, in other words NOT anywhere near our neighborhood.

Just as well, HCR may be the death of me yet. I think the only left of me come May will be a whimpering, babbling mess. Probably not the best foot forward for a reasoned intelligent discussion (on the off chance one of those actually breaks out in a Town Meeting)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    More information please...
    Jump,

I am happy to help if I can. What information would you like?

Mary Babick

1 members found this post helpful.

Mary - do you know date and time for the meeting in Lexington, VA?

Thanks,
    Cricket

Cricket,

I don't have any of the specific times yet but the Medication Task Force is meeting again this Monday. I will see if I can get more specific information. We are trying to schedule things when we will be able to attract the most people. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mary

2 members found this post helpful.

Mary, you are too awesome. Keep on keepin' on!

4 members found this post helpful.

The chronicle link is great, but it would be helpful to have a specific identifiable link on USEF as well - especially that email address and specific areas to be commented on/opinions requested (as noted in the Chronicle article).

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I will do everything in my power to attend the one at the Oaks unless it is the last day of the last show when I leave to go out of town or I have to ...gasp work the day they schedule it. But I am a major nobody.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Invitation to Attend USEF Town Hall Meeting

March 8, 2013

Invitation to Attend USEF Town Hall Meeting

From the USEF Communications Department

Welfare of the Horse in the 21st Century: Meeting the Needs of the Performance Horse in a Changing Environment

Invitation to Attend USEF Town Hall Meeting - March 27, 2013

Winter Equestrian Festival - Wellington Club - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm ET

Equestrian Sport Productions will host the first of seven USEF Town Hall meetings which will be held across the country throughout the Spring and Summer of 2013 On March 27. Federation representatives will join prominent industry owners, trainers, and veterinarians to discuss topical issues contributing to unprecedented public scrutiny relating to medication and treatment of performance horses. Media articles have brought focus to both therapeutic techniques and medication practices in racing, and more recently this national media focus has raised a number of questions about medication use in the show arena.

Prompted by reports across all breeds and disciplines confirming inappropriate use of medication for the purpose of gaining advantage in competition in today's show arena, the USEF leadership, in concert with the USEF Drugs & Medication and USEF Veterinary Committees, is soliciting information from stakeholders. Information gained in these forums will guide industry reform and regulation aimed at insuring the health and well being of the horse in our sport.

Additional USEF Town Hall Meetings will be scheduled in the following locations. Look for updates regarding specific times and locations for these forums.

Lexington, VA - Virginia Horse Park - First week in May

North Salem, NY - Old Salem Farm - Mid-May

Lexington, KY - Kentucky Horse Park - Mid-May

Parker, CO - Colorado Horse Park - June

San Juan Capistrano, CA - Blenheim Equisports - June

Bend, OR - High Desert Classics - July

USEF Town Hall Discussion Topics will include:

USEF Leadership Speaks to the Industry-Wide Focus on Welfare of the Horse today
    Introduction and Review of the American Association of Equine Practitioner's Guidelines for Treating Performance Horses with discussion of USEF enhancements leading to the adoption of the Guidelines as Industry Standards
    Overview of USEF and FEI Medication Rules
    Regulatory & Enforcement Issues
    Owner-Trainer-Veterinarian Relationship and Responsibility
    Next Steps - Call for Industry Reform

All USEF stakeholders are invited to attend these sessions in person. The USEF is also seeking input from interested parties who might not be able to attend in person. Simply respond to the topics outlined above by sending an email to:

horsewelfare@usef.org. Your input will be compiled and presented to the Town Hall forums.

2 members found this post helpful.

Horseymama -- your post is right on the $. Been there, seen it in the closed-meeting rooms.

I realize the industry is caught between a rock and a hard place by trying to not stifle what the professionals "need" to do in order to manage a viable business and the welfare of the rider and the horse.

I still think the way you save the horse is to have more people participating in the sport of riding. It means more customers for the pros, to relieve their financially cliff-hanging, which then takes pressure off their horses so they aren't overused or used in ways that are not right for the horse.

However, showing is not the entry-level end of the sport, so these two constituencies almost never speak. Too bad, as it could be a symbiotic and healthy interaction...

[QUOTE=cyberbay;6895821

I realize the industry is caught between a rock and a hard place by trying to not stifle what the professionals "need" to do in order to manage a viable business and the welfare of the rider and the horse.

...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a better, more intelligent solution is to change or remove the rules that cause the 'pros' to 'need' to cheat to win .

USHJA started down that path with a rule change last year. Hoping they continue to propose that sort of change.