The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working Student Position

I am 18 year old rider who has competed successfully through training level horse trials and I am looking for a working student position for the summer of 2013 the U.S. I would like to work with a show jumper or an eventer. I would not be bringing my own horse. I am a dedicated rider and horse owner, I have ridden since I was two, placed 4 of 48 in my Developing Horse/Rider equitation round of USPC East Coast Championships, and placed 2nd in my first training level horse trial. Does any one know of a rider looking for a working student? I would prefer to stay on the east side of the U.S. Any advice and insight I can get I would greatly appreciate!!

Thanks

You would do better to post in the Eventing forum. I'm not sure how many trainers on this side of things would be interested in someone who does not know the particulars of our industry. HOWEVER, as an ex PC-er myself, I will say that the horse management portion of the program gave me skills that have been very advantageous both in finding and keeping a position. Best of luck to you!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Hey PonyClubber,
    I'm sure you will find alot of good farms that will have you. I was a PCer as a junior and always had great working student offers on the table since we are A) Generally hard working and B) really know how to take care of the horses.

Where are you located? Are you interested in being on the road or at a home base?

Thanks! I am located in Northeast Ohio and would prefer to not stay at home.

Though I may not know the specifics of the show jumping industry, I am a quick learner. Thanks!

Have you look on Yard&Groom? They are filled with working student opportunites. I had the same exact background when I took my first Working Student position, an eventer at a very nice H/J barn. Have you built up any networks with other Show-Jumping Trainers, even if they are not looking for a WS let them know what you are looking for. (My biggest advice is to read blogs/COTH articles of others experiences as a WS, check out the reputation of the barn, and know all of the finances that are involved.) Feel free to PM me.

1 members found this post helpful.