The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone shipped a dog from the US to the UK?

I thought I had it sorted. It appeared from both KLM's website and from speaking with them that as long as I had all the paperwork in order, had the right kennel etc, that I could literally check her in as luggage.

So, I booked my flight, as advised and then called to add her to the booking and surprise, surprise - going into the UK, she is NOT allowed to go as luggage and has to be handled by a professional cargo company. So, the cost of taking my dog just went up from $200 to $2500.

Anyone done this? Any recommendations, suggestions for doing this differently?

This is very much a UK specific thing, so if you have managed to check to other countries, that's understandable. If I was only going to the Netherlands I could do it, but not to the UK. The crazy thing - the horse would only cost me $5k!

United Airlines appears to really want to ship dogs to Europe

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dog-takes-a...ry?id=18746247

1 members found this post helpful.

Not to be picky, but the UK also have laws about certain breeds forbidden entry to the country. Along with that is that animals imported, are not allowed to be dock tailed or trimmmed ears, last I heard.

Have you checked into that too? You don't want to get there and be not allowed to enter!!

Sorry if this is bad news for you, but certainly worth checking out before putting your money down to ship the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Not to be picky, but the UK also have laws about certain breeds forbidden entry to the country. Along with that is that animals imported, are not allowed to be dock tailed or trimmmed ears, last I heard.

Have you checked into that too? You don't want to get there and be not allowed to enter!!

Sorry if this is bad news for you, but certainly worth checking out before putting your money down to ship the dog.
    I'll have to look into that too. I know that tail docking and ear trimming is illegal and I know that the airlines won't transport snub nosed dogs etc. However, it will indeed be a problem for me if they won't let docked tailed dogs in, as my border collie does have her tail docked (not by me, but when we found her it was already docked). Yikes -thanks for the pointer!

I thought I heard somewhere that there is a 6 month quarantine before a d og is allowed into the UK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    I thought I heard somewhere that there is a 6 month quarantine before a d og is allowed into the UK.
    There used to be, but thankfully that changed a few years ago and now it's all about paperwork, pet passports, micro-chipping etc

I did, in the days when there was quarantine. I sent a 3 year old Bernese Mountain Dog over. We did use a cargo handler, so everything was taken care of, from collecting the dog from our house here to having him arrive at the quarantine kennel.

The upside of using the cargo company was that all i's were dotted and t's crossed. I would worry about missing something if I did it myself.

I don't know if it makes it any easier but you could always fly into another country and then rent a car and drive your dog into the UK. Or, (and the money might actually work out the same if you compare using a cargo company) you could go over by boat, and your dog could stay in the ship's kennel, in my opinion a less stressful way for them to travel.

I was part of the campaign that led the the end of quarantine. Our group was called Passports For Pets.

2 members found this post helpful.

Go to the FlyerTalk Traveling with Pets website. They can answer your question.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-pets-645/

The U.K. does have very strict import restrictions. Good luck.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Interesting. I won't be doing this anytime soon but could very well be in my future plans. I knew there were more severe restrictions in the UK but wasn't aware of their extent. Thanks for the info everyone. =
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I personally haven't but some friends did, I know there was an issue with rabies vaccines and having to be given within a certain period of time before being shipped.

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

Stupid question but how would it work if you did fly you and the dog into the Netherlands and then either flew/ferry or drove/ferry to the UK? Or do they allow you to transport pets across borders and on the ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Stupid question but how would it work if you did fly you and the dog into the Netherlands and then either flew/ferry or drove/ferry to the UK? Or do they allow you to transport pets across borders and on the ferry?
    it's a good point, but it appears that I could fly to the Netherlands but would then have to drive with the dog in the car from the Netherlands (wouldn't be allowed on a train, has to be in a sealed unit, like a car). Logistically that would mean me driving my car from the North of Scotland all the way to Holland, paying for gas and ferries both ways, so not convinced that for the saving I would end up with, that it would actually be worth the many days, plus accommodation that I would incur.

I 'be taken my previous dog (Border Collie) to France a couple of times in a regular pet carrier on the same flight I was on. Maybe easier to then get to the UK from there, though I have no idea what the regulations are.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Bearcat, looks like pretty much anywhere on the continental Europe would be easier from a flight point of view, but then the issue of having to drive from the North of Scotland down to the South of England, get the ferry across, get the dog and then do it all on the way back again, is just too much for me, on my own.

However, finally, United Cargo came back to me and said $1139 from Houston to Edinburgh. At least Edinburgh is only about 3 hours. However, they said I had to contact the Scottish SPCA about quarantine, so I'm going to have to find out what the heck that's about. Now that the pet passport thing is in place I didn't think quarantine was still in play.

I rememember that back in the day it was a huge ordeal because of the Rabies quarantine. Times must have changed..

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I rememember that back in the day it was a huge ordeal because of the Rabies quarantine. Times must have changed..
    Indeed, and it used to be that many animals died in quarantine. Thankfully that is no longer the case.

I believe you can ship in dogs with cropped tails. I have a friend who breeds cockers and some of her dogs are in the UK. And their tails were docked. And there is a difference between docking and amputation. If your BC came to you missing a tail, you could always say it was amputated due to injury.

Default And shipping as "luggage" I hope you mean carry on

There is no way I would put an animal in cargo for a flight. Not for an hour, certainly not for several hours.

Bite the bullet. spend the dosh.

Many airlines do NOT allow pets above a certain weight IN the cabin. And now, with all the allergies... tough luck... whether you want to pay or not.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Many airlines do NOT allow pets above a certain weight IN the cabin. And now, with all the allergies... tough luck... whether you want to pay or not.
    Yes, I think IF they allow it, the pet has to fit under the seat in front of you. Something not possible for my Bernese Mountain Dog!

Again, I think taking a ship over (I don't think it is the QEII any longer) is probably the most humane way for the dog to travel. And for the owner, now that I think about it. No idea of prices so forgive me if it is totally ridiculous financially.