The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite stirrup leathers?

I haven't purchased stirrup leathers in years and mine are falling apart. Which do you like the best? I like the softer leather but don't want to break the bank. Thanks!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I recently bought some Beval Gladstone leathers for $89. Nice quality, and they come in two colors.

Are you looking for nylon lined or flat leather?

Gary Mundy leathers. Not super soft calfskin, but utterly lovely, fully custom, and VERY well priced. Search here on COTH for tons of reviews.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd like the nylon lined if possible. I saw a pair cheap and lightly used on eBay that I might need to grab up.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I like soft, narrow, nylon lined and, most importantly, 1/2 holes. I have some Amerigos that I really like, they are expensive, but I happened to have a sale coupon when I bought them.

I second the Gary Mundy leathers. He doesn't do calfskin, but his leathers are beautiful, and he will make them just for you for well under $100.

Here's a picture of mine:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/DSCN0552.jpg
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Prestige. They are soft, lasting, flat buckles, half holed, and around $100. I've had mine for six years of heavy wear and they still look great. Wont buy anything else if I need calf leather.

I have amish made leathers on my dressage saddle and they last, don't stretch, half holes, but they are not calf. They are also bulkier, but I personally love them for my dressage saddles. They are about $50/$60 from Bartville and I have had them for over 7 years and they look new. Just looked at the Gary leathers and they look exactly the same.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

GARY MUNDY!!! He will do lined leathers as well. Could not be more professional. Have ordered 2 pairs (not lined) for my growing toddler. Happy each time.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Prestige. They are soft, lasting, flat buckles, half holed, and around $100. I've had mine for six years of heavy wear and they still look great. Wont buy anything else if I need calf leather.

This. The flat buckle. I love the flat buckle! No bulk under your leg, and no large 'bump' under the skirt. I'm going to get a set for my saddleseat saddle as well.
    The truth is always in the middle.

Love mine from Gary! am on my 5th pair from him in the past decade (for new saddles, etc) and he is so amazing.

I've had my Bates lined leathers for about 8 years. They're not suuuper soft but they wear suuuper well. Bates also makes webbers that look cool.

I may be ready for new ones soon (just because), so I might compare those to the Prestige leathers. Prestige seems to have funky-colored dark leather, though the half holes would be nice.

I've seen folks with gorgeous calfskin and lined leathers, but they just fell apart so quickly. (1-2 years of regular, 1 a day riding?)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I've had my Bates lined leathers for about 8 years. They're not suuuper soft but they wear suuuper well.
    Agree that the Bates lined leathers are much better than expected. They look nice, break in quickly and wear like iron. Much nicer than I hoped for!

If you're looking for lined and inexpensive, I'd recommend SmartPak's house brand ones. I picked up a pair for my dressage saddle a few months ago, and have been very pleasantly surprised by the value. They're not as nice as the Beval lined leathers I have currently on my jump saddle, or the Prestige ones I had before that (and I would highly recommend either of those if you're willing to spend more), but for less than half the price, I'm quite happy with the Smartpak leathers.

I love the Beval flat buckle stirrup leathers. They don't stretch (because they're nylon lined), last forever, and best of all, come in a "short adult" size which means no having to cut down the leathers for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I like soft, narrow, nylon lined and, most importantly, 1/2 holes. . . .
    That describes my CWD leathers perfectly, the leather is like butter but not so thick that you can't easily adjust them from the saddle. CWD leathers also have those small flat buckles that are so comfortable you don't even feel them under your thigh. I think they are about $170 now, they were a lot less when I bought my saddle.

I will say that my CWD leathers never stretched at all, I kept them on the same hole for the 7 years that I owned my saddle and would never buy anything else now.

Another vote for Gary Mundy!!!! I think mine were just over $50. You can custom order the color, length, hole spacing, and best of all, an initial and design at the end of the leather.

Prestige, hands-down. I'm super-picky about stirrup leathers (length, excess, hole placement, buckle, adjustability... all have to be *just* right) and Prestige fits the bill perfectly.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I had to buy leathers in a crunch about 5 years ago when I was headed to a show and my leather buckle snapped (HDR Brand). Ran to my local tack shop and picked up a pair of Red Barn leathers, and have been really happy with them. They lie super flat, and haven't stretched that much. The leather is nice a soft, but not too soft, and the holes are a good 1/2 inch apart. Overall I've been happy with them :-)

Another vote for the Prestige leathers! Leather is soft (there was no break in time at all) and nylon lined. Also, they are stamped "made in Italy" and are not made in China like some of the cheaper brands.

Another vote for Gary Mundy!!!! I think mine were just over $50. You can custom order the color, length, hole spacing, and best of all, an initial and design at the end of the leather.