The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Schleese Obrigado?

Has anyone tried the newest Schleese dressage saddle, the Obrigado? If so I would love to hear any info on it. Looking for a dressage saddle for my short backed 16h Hanoverian. thanks!
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

Quote Originally Posted by Dressurfan View Post
    Has anyone tried the newest Schleese dressage saddle, the Obrigado?
    I wanted to get one a few months ago... pretty much called with my Visa in hand... they never got back to me, so I called the rep who does my area, and never got called again, or sent a saddle!

I wanted to try one before they visit, so they can bring the right size, and do the final fitting on site.
    I've had various Schleese 's for about 12yrs...(did they lose my email, just now, LOL?) though its just me, and I haul to a neighbor arena to fill their bookings.

They have yearly records of my horse's back, so a saddle could have been shipped out asap. I think they rely alot new flesh, not on repeat business, jmho.

Well, I just got one and can say that it has changed my life and that of my horse. I have a very short backed Spanish horse, and got it for him, and he is a different horse. He is SO free in his shoulders and it is so ncie and close to his movement. i LOVE IT. I also want to say that my daughter is leasing a BIG Hanoverian mare (17hh) and she hates the saddle she is in (the mare hates it) so I decided, "what the heck, even though this Obrigado is fitted to my Spanish horse, I will just try it on her. Well guess what? SHE LOVES IT! And my trainer got one for his Grand Prix horse and said that suddenly his ones were effortless. It just gives a horse so much more freedom in the back and shoulders. AS for the second person who said Schleese did not get back to them, just pick up the phone and call Miriam at Schleese and speak directly to her. She is in Canada, is SO responsive and so helpful. If you in-box me, I will give you my name and you can tell her I told you to call her directly. I never have a problem having Schleese get back to me. Obrigados are hard for them to keep in stock, though. They fly off the truck.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm hoping to try one on their next trip through. I think it would be a fantastic fit for my guy...

If that is the "new" Schleese model originally designed for Baroque type horses, a friend had one custom built for her (measured by Jochen himself). She hated it, as did every horse she tried it on. We were surprised, because there are a slew of people at the barn using various models of Schleese saddles, and all the horses are going SO much better than in their previous saddles. My friend sent her saddle back and is riding in a different model (can't remember which one, though).

The first time I rode in the Schleese Obrigado it made me feel much less locked in to the saddle. I had to actually RIDE the horse. I was feeling kind of ambivalnet. Julia, who did my fitting (from Canada) told me to ride in it ten times and see if it came together. It clicked for me after about ride five. Now I love it. My horse was a fan from ride one, though.

I have just received a new Obrigado and the jury is still out as I've only had it a few days. There is another interesting saddle for short-backed horses made by Passier and I believe called the Passier Compact. http://www.passier.com/en/campaign/t...essage-saddle/
    It seems to have many similar design features, but to me has a superior girthing system. If I'd known about it before ordering the Obrigado I'd have at least
    tried it, as it costs quite a bit less.

Good to know Passier is doing this. I don't think they have as many adjustment points as a Schleese, but they make such good saddles.