The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rain Rot Treatment Advice Please

We just picked up a new mare for my friend today. She is verrrrrry overweight and got rain rot in the "gutter" down her back by her croup. I've never actually has a rain rot horse before and need some advice.

1) We have her quarantined. How long until its not contagious? After scabs healed? Any suggestions?

2) It's cold and winter so bathing is not an option right now. What is the best topical treatment to clear this up fast?

3) I know it needs air to dry but once dried and until her new diet starts working should we keep a rain sheet on her to prevent the water from sitting in her back fat gutter? :-)

4) Gently pick off scabs or leave them on?

We have the vet coming out next Tuesday but I would like to start treating her with something sooner if possible.

Thanks so much!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

My friend's Fresian cross mare gets rain rot on her legs. She keeps her legs clipped and applies a 50-50 mix of Listerine and baby oil(puts it in a spray bottle for easy application). She has great luck with this. If the mare has a fairly thick coat and has not been blanketed, I think the sheet may actually make it worse.

The bacteria that cause rainrot are in the soil and are everywhere, so there is no quarantine period, per se. It doesn't spread from horse to horse, although I wouldn't use the brushes from one horse on another anyway. If it's really severe and doesn't clear up, a vet can give you antibiotics for her.

I agree with Simbalism!! I've had the most success with a Listerine/Baby oil mix. When my boy came to me malnourished and underweight his system couldn't help fight the rain rot he got. Covered his entire back and lost all his hair. I used that combination on him and was able to clear it up relatively fast. I just spayed it on and massaged it into his hair/skin. Every two or three days I would wash with an Iodine scrub and reapply.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Supplement 5 cc of injectable vitamin A for cattle, top dressed on her feed once a week, and the rain rot will disappear in 2-3 weeks. I've done this with several rescues in the last year, with no topical treatment or other changes, and it works great, is very little work, and addresses the underlying deficiency that causes the horse to be susceptible to rain rot in the first place.

Is she out 24/7? My horse is in at night so I can treat him in the evening as the barn will warm up quickly once the horses come in. I start with betadine scrub, leave in for 15 minutes, then rinse. Treat every few days by spraying betadine solution (as opposed to the scrub) and rub in a bit. Usually clears up within 2 weeks.

I've had luck with applying a mix of desitin/triple antibiotic and leaving it for a day
    or 2 to soften the scabs. Then gently pull off the scrabs (they should come off
    fairly easily after letting the ointments sit on it), scrub with betadine or
    antibacterial hand soap in a pinch, then spray with that Eqquis spray in the black
    bottle. It also helps to towel-dry the area well before applying the spray.

Even if you can't give her a full-out bath, you should be able to spot-wash the
    area to help with the worst of it.

A quick search will get you buckets of info.

My pet remedy is a 1/2 &1/2 combo of chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) ointment, & desitin with a generous addition of OTC cortisone cream. Slather on, and rub in. Do not pick scabs. They will loosen with subsequent applications.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Shapley's MTG: http://shapleys.com/products-2/original-mtg/

It's seriously amazing stuff! I usually slather it in there, leave it for a few days, and then just brush all the crud off.

It smells like ass though and is very greasy, so wear gloves or you will smell like it too. It's worth the stink though!

chlorhexidine as MGR said

Google some stuff called "Muck Itch." It sells for about $45.00 a quart and is worth every dime. Southern tack stores carry it, but if you're up north you'll have to order it straight from the mfr. It's a tea-tree oil with other ingredients and usually a SINGLE APPLICATION will knock rain rot out cold. It's messy and leaves an oily sheen on the coat, but it seems to feel good to the horses and will cure other skin-uglies like scratches as well.

It's the best thing I've ever used, and believe me I've tried 'em all!

Muck Itch or Well Horse. You do have to pick off the scabs. Softening them with baby oil can help. If you pour on Listerine after picking off the scabs...ouch!

Well Horse is pricey but amazing.

You don't need to quarantine, but you do need to keep grooming tools completely separate. The last time we had a horse with rain rot (it's been a while), I had him in a blanket with a liner. I had extra liners, so I washed and disinfected them each day. Time consuming, but it helped.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant