The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hotels! And Restaurants! From a cat perspective.

A Priceline commercial was bragging about having "pet friendly" notations for hotels. And they meant cats!

Of course, sometimes IRL hotels do not mean cats by "pets." (Harks back to 19th century discussions of species and race and racism. But I digress.)

Apparently, however, 21st-century cats travel. Tell me about your experiences. My cat did a cross-country trip with me and got to test out a few hotels.
    Last edited by mvp; Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Because cats get around.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Ha, I have been back and forth across the country 3x in the past three years, with cats. Motel 6 was GREAT, super 8 was great and so was holiday inn express. I have done it with multiple cats, so it involves the cat cages, the cat bag (like a baby bag with all their food and shit in it), the cat litter boxes, the cat litter, paper towels and my computer bag. On day one, there is EXTENSIVE shit removal off of kitty THREE as he hates travel, and will poop and puke and pee and then marinate in it all day, in spite of my best efforts to clean it. So at the end of the day we sometimes take a shower. Really fun. Kitty TWO hates kitty THREE, so they can't be out together. Usually I will put kitty TWO in the big dog cage I use for Kitty THREE (who is 18 pounds) and let kitty THREE cruise around the room at night (and he talks and talks and talks and talks and talks). It was especially fun when there was kitty ONE (little bitchy kitty beloved of kitty TWO). I love hotels that are pet friendly. I always express my total gratitude always happy to pay any kitty fee. My guys are very good but still so appreciative. I clean the next day and leave a nice tip!

I did a cross country trip with cat(s) twice. Long time ago. I find that cats seriously appreciate a motel room after all day in a carrier in the car. Back then, there were no cat/pet friendly motels, so I had to smuggle them in.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

@ lilitiger2: You actually drove all day with that marinated big cat? Hats off to you. In your spot, I would have wanted to put him in a harness, pulled over to some gas station (which had a cat wash rack), tied him up and hosed him off.

A hotel room shower works, but then you have a wet cat on clean sheets.

Clean sheets was one of Kitteh's favorite things about hotel rooms. If she could, she'd have a fresh, un-catted bed every night.

Kitteh, who is getting old, thought that the beds in the better places were too high off the ground for someone who had to jump up several times her height. She also preferred less fluff in the bedding so that she could sleep on the bottom sheet-- like a virgin stretch of smooth desert sand.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have not stayed with a cat in a hotel, but I did smuggle one into a Ruby Tuesday's last year. Does that count?

We drove down to Georgia to pick up Louie, my Birman kitty. About three in the afternoon, on the way home, we were somewhere in Tennessee, hungry (us) and hot (Louie). Apparently all that puffy fur gets rather warm in the sun in the backseat of a car...he was starting to pant, even with the AC turned on him full blast.

I don't know if this is true across the board, but every Ruby Tuesday I've ever been in has been freezing cold. We were literally in the middle of nowhere TN on the interstate, saw a sign, and figured what the heck. The most they could do was ask us to leave. So I threw a sweatshirt over Louie's carrier and smuggled him in. The waitress was great about it and Louie got the message, stayed incognito (for the most part), and blissed out in the frigidness of the Ruby Tuesday.

We did get a few looks from other people, but hey...I totally meow occasionally in public. Doesn't everyone?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh my. I am still traumatized from the last time I had my five cats in a motel. This was several years ago, when I was in the midst of moving cross-country. Everything was copacetic when I went to sleep, the cats seemed relieved to be sprung from their carriers to appreciate food, water, litter box, cable & the other motel amenities.

In the morning, surprise! Four cats appeared as expected, but Little Growley was missing. Now Little Growl was discovered at a tender age foraging, in a barn trash can, and her survival instincts have always been, you might say, a bit overdeveloped. I believe her to be a throwback, like one of those retro-engineered tarpan horses. She is funny looking - low slung and close to the ground, with short legs and an extremely long tail. She has a complexly patterned coat of many colors, all of which are different shades of dirt brown. She is extremely little and quick and I consider her to be something like the small distilled (reincarnated?) essence of The World's Very First Domestic Cat.

So it was not entirely surprising that she would be hiding. On the other hand, she had disappeared inside a closed motel room and I was baffled. Especially since the bed had one of those weird motel-specific wooden frames built around the bottom, making it inaccessible from underneath. I went around the room about 20 times, looking under the sofa, under the blankets, in the sheets, under the mattress, in the sofa cushions, behind all the furniture, and getting increasingly perplexed. It was like one of those closed-room country house mysteries.

Eventually after much swearing and hand wringing it was discovered that Little Growley had somehow squeezed her way inside the single tiny gap (like 5 inches) that existed between the under-the-bed frame and the mattress. Once underneath, she had undone a few of the staples that held the black cloth underneath the box spring to the box spring (with her teeth?) and squeezed inside that. She was completely invisible and I would not even have seen her if I hadn't noticed (when I tilted the box spring up during my radical deconstruction of the bed) that the bottom of the box spring was lumpy textured, and the lump was moving.

Ah...memories. Anyway it's a funny story (now!) and its part of Growley's mythology. She's curled up beside me as I write this. Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce. Beware the box spring frame!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have not taken a cat to a hotel. I have, however, gone camping with a cat. (No, this was not my idea.) The fun parts of camping with cats:
    • Little kitty claws on the air mattress.
    • Little kitty claws on your tent, as your early riser climbs between the tent and the fly to look down on you from above and wonder why you haven't gotten up yet. It's almost dawn, after all.
    • Sitting around the campfire toasting marshmallows at night, while little kitty dismembers the mice attracted to food scraps left by the previous campers.
    • Discovering your campground has fisher cats, also attracted by the mice feasting on the food scraps left by the previous campers. Kitty, in the tent, NOW.

I used to show cats and travel with them. The hotels I stayed at were always the "show hotel". Sometimes, I would have up to five cats with me to show, sometimes just one. Luckily, I never had any issues. I did baths, cleaned up vomit, and knock on wood, never had one mess outside the box! I do love hearing the other stories, especially carp's!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    @ lilitiger2: You actually drove all day with that marinated big cat? Hats off to you. In your spot, I would have wanted to put him in a harness, pulled over to some gas station (which had a cat wash rack), tied him up and hosed him off.

A hotel room shower works, but then you have a wet cat on clean sheets..
    Well, I did the best I could to clean - given the carriers were in the back seat of my quad cab pick up and I didn't really get a great angle - but, not to be crass, I could more or less get the "big stuff", and mop up a bit. But, he wore what he wore. and then yes, he'd get the shower, sink whatever, THEN he'd get "fluffed" and dried so NO wet kitty on any beds! He even rides in a large dog carrier with a nice kitty box. Does he "hit" the kitty box? Of course not! Sometimes he sleeps in the box but does his business where ever. He does, however, improve over the course of the trip. And they both enjoy books on tape! Thankfully.

@ Redmare01

Oh yes, restaurants count!

Truck Cat went to a BBQ place. We were driving from OR to CA on a hot day and I had the same problem you did.

I stopped at Pats' BBQ near Eureka CA. Yes, it was Pats' because it was owned by two chicks named Pat.

So I ask for my BBQ to go because Kitteh was frying in the car without AC. "Been there, done that," they said. "Bring her in!" So I did and no one else was there, so the cat was even turned loose from her carrier!

Before I left, Kitteh posed for a picture with them. Sorry, I don't have it; it was taken with an old skool disposable camera. But I'll bet that picture is up at Pats' BBQ just off I-5 in Eureka, CA. The cat is a black-n-whiter.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

slightly off topic.

But I think you guys will enjoy this. I was at a DOG park...OFF LEASH dog park for a dog rescue fundraiser and in comes this older couple pushing one of those metal shopping carts, you know the ones with two wheels in the back and they stand about 3 feet tall and you usually pull it from behind you.

Well, I am looking at this crazy cart and I noticed that it was kind of dark. So I walk over and discovered that it had window screens all the way around it and inside of the cart were two drop dead gorgeous apple head seal point siamese cats!

Wait for it......

Dressed up as FAIRIES !! that is right folks. Each cat had their own set of wings attached to their harness that was over a t-shirt. They looked so unhappy being pushed though a sea of loose dogs in a dog park while wearing wings.

I wish I took a picture.

Wow, Munchingonhay. Just wow.

The caged fairy cats brought to the off-leash dog park sounds like a pagan ritual sacrifice.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat