The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question MagRestore questions

Hi! I'm considering putting my horse on MagRestore for a variety of reasons. Do you like this supplement, and do you see a big difference in your horse? Do you prefer to feed the powder or the pellets? Have you had good customer service from the company? Thanks!

I've been looking into this as well and there are a bunch of threads about magnesium and Mag Restore if you search the horse care section

I feed MagRestore, and they have great customer service. I have used both the powder and the pellets, at the moment I am feeding a few different pelleted supplements together, so it works to use the pellets. Out of my 5, I have seen big differences in 2, some differences in 2 others, and not much difference in 1. I started out with the trial size and loading dose, and now everyone is on just one scoop. I may up that if I start riding my hot mare more, and decide that I need it. It's definitely worth your while to do her 10 day trial size, it is cheap, and you will find out pretty quickly if you see any change or not. The area where I live has very soft water, and also low levels of Mg in the feed and soil. So it stands to reason that they may not be getting what they need. If you look at typical supplements, there is not much added, if any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I've been looking into this as well and there are a bunch of threads about magnesium and Mag Restore if you search the horse care section
    Thanks! I did search for some of the older threads, and they've made me even more curious about the MagRestore. I was hoping to have a thread focused on that supplement specifically and maybe some people who were just starting the supplement could report on their results.

It really didn't do anything at all for either of my horses.
    --o0o--

1 members found this post helpful.

It didn't do anything for several of my horses.....my mag supplement of choice is Quiessence hands down

I use the pellets and she eats them all up. I used the powder for a while until the pellets came out. I think pellets are better because she doesn't leave any in the bottom of her bowl.
    One thing, I notice, that magnesium helps is tight muscles - it could just be my horse but it has helped her.

HappyHorsey...i got your PM but for some reason the advertisement box is right in the middle of the area for me to respond so I couldn't answer your pm, i couldn't send it. i don't know why that box is right there. Anyway, i had written a long reply but to shorten it up for now....my horse has been on the magrestore powder for about a year. Have i seen an improvement, i would say yes. Is it the improvement that i expected? No. I'm going to keep him on it for now but i have started him on a probiotic that was recommended to me called Kaufman's Equine Gold. I'm hoping that i will be able to take him off the magrestore and just have him on the equine gold. I wish that i could tell you that i have a different horse from being on the magrestore, but i don't. Did i expect to see a completely different horse, yes, i sort of did but i am realistic so i would have liked to have had a horse that is more settled than he is.

I have my OTTB gelding on the powdered MagRestore. It makes a big difference with him, calmer, much less reactive. When he is not getting the MagRestore he is very spooky and reactive almost all the time. I'm not sure if it is true but I seem to think I am using the powder because it is less expensive.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Didn't do a thing for mine. Zero. I tried it on the spookiest one first, then a moderately reactive one second. No difference in either. It was an expensive trial, too. This stuff is pricy. Used the powder. Customer Service was OK, I guess. They took my money fast enough.

I could have substituted peppermints with better results.
    Last edited by 5chestnuts; Mar. 23, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you have a feed store near by that sells packaged products and a nutritionist, ask them. They are packaged in plastic baggies at my place and anything I want, or want to try, they can supply, along with advice on quantities per feeding, etc. And the price does not compare.

Magnesium and Bio Chrome are cheap like dirt until packed, labelled and marketed by a big company.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

There is little to no evidence that shows that MagRestore works any better or worse then any other magnesium product out there, and little scientific evidence to support that magnesium period is helpful.

It is no placebo effect when your previously spooking, spinning, bolting horse suddenly becomes rideable..And since there is very little testing done on any horse supplements, it is up to the owner to make their own assessments from a trial. IMHO, a 10 day trial that costs less than $20 is a no brainer to try if you are having issues.

muffintop, thanks for replying on the thread - and also thanks to all the other responses. As most things are with horses, it sounds like it depends on the individual horse, but it sounds like it's worth a try - whether placebo or not, it's fairly harmless and inexpensive.