The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    G.,
    Don't forget race track platers who only provide services at the track.
    How about that? A second place!!!

In some past discussions there have been claims about unshod TB flat racing. While I'd like to say I had these in mind when I found only one "shoes only" farrier class I'd be lying; I'd forgotten about them until you reminded me of the racing community. I note that I've not seen much of these claims recently. Do they still circulate?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Uh...I concur with Netg based on the website of the "local" farrier school....
    Netg spoke in the plural, eg: "schools".

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    How about that? A second place!!!
    ...I note that I've not seen much of these claims recently. Do they still circulate?
    G.
    Yes, among the ignoranti, they still circulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    I am aware of some 8 week "carpentry courses" offered under the guise of "farrier school" in your state. The T-Square dogma is alive and well.

Where did the barefoot trimmers learn it? Mustang dogma?

Well it certainly wouldn't make sense to ask them if they would trim your horses if you aren't willing to pay their fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    The local feed store has the "text" required for said carpentry course....the "trimming instructions" are less than one page. Not that I think trimming should be turned into some mysterious, overanalyzed, verbose subject....
    I've been told by farriers who have done the school(s)... then looked for a real education from folks who didn't lame every horse they worked on, books and any other resource they could find in order to do a better job than what they were taught. I'm not positive if it's truly one or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Interesting. Define "expensive."

Are you not willing to use them because they are expensive or because they don't want to do "barefoot trims?"

G.
    Around here shoeing is typically far less expensive than I've heard of in other places in the country - but over $100 for a single special shoe they claim horses need. Which then of course requires special shoes on the other three hooves, as well.

I wouldn't use the specific couple I'm thinking of because far too many of the horses they work on are lame far too often and for far too long when they were sound prior to being worked on by those farriers.

I also think some barefoot trimmers who will only do barefoot horses can be butchers - "the hoof must fit this shape" and no matter how much pain they put a horse in when they do it. If I were to use one of them I would be better off attempting it myself, untrained and with no personal skill.

I'm not a my way or the highway type - but I am insistent that a farrier I use not be one who consistently makes horses lame and makes them stay lame when they were sound before. Horses, poor riding, sloppy footing, and any myriad of events cause that often enough that I have no desire to up the likelihood of that happening to my horses.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed