The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Minor jingles, please...

Or maybe I just need a drink or three.

My unstarted baby mysteriously injured himself on Friday (showing improvement as of last night).

My mare has been off since I got her back (~2 months ago now) due to a mysterious lameness. In her defense, she may be totally fine by now, I just haven't pulled her out to do more than brush her and stuff cookies in her face every few days.

My gelding is now on vacation for what I only hope is just sore feet. He was trimmed Saturday and hasn't been tenderfooted before, but he's been out in the wet muck all winter and now the ground is drying and hardening again. He was shuffling around last night, even in the soft arena footing, but I didn't see any swelling and all feet were the same, temperature-wise.

I only own three horses. And I'd hoped to compete the gelding at his first recognized BN in May. What's that they say about making plans, again?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Bad things come in threes, hopefully you are done with all that now. Jingles.

2 members found this post helpful.

Fingers crossed the gelding just needs a couple days to adjust to the trim and you can still compete

Jingles headed your way!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Jingles!!! I feel you. Two-three? years ago over the summer the soundest horse I had was my old retired guy. "Plans" and "horse" shouldn't be in the same sentence lol.

Sore feet from a trim. Did you check his feet? How much did he take off? What are you doing for him?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Jingles for all three of your horses! I am in hand walking mode right now, too.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Jingling!

Rotten luck - but hopefully they all come through totally fine and sound and you end up even more grateful for what you have than you already are.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Sore feet from a trim. Did you check his feet? How much did he take off? What are you doing for him?
    Yes, I checked them, and spoke with my farrier. He left plenty of foot, didn't do anything out of the ordinary and is going to come by today to put hoof testers to him to see if anything (like another abscess, perhaps) is going on. His feet actually look pretty fantastic, though they were longer than usual prior to the trimming. We shortened the rotation by two weeks for our next appointment. He's never been sore before, but this is also the first winter at the new farm and we are battling mud of epic proportions, so that may be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Jingling!

Rotten luck - but hopefully they all come through totally fine and sound and you end up even more grateful for what you have than you already are.

Oh, I am grateful to have such nice horses and without any major health problems. I like all three of their furry little faces enough that I'm OK with them hanging out as pasture ornaments, even if I am itching to ride. The baby is going to grow into a verrrrry nice horse someday, and the other two aren't too shabby either.

Jingle-jingle!!!

Is the cow pony still around?

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Jingle-jingle!!!

Is the cow pony still around?
    The cow pony is with his new owner, now. We're facebook friends and she rides with a dressage trainer that is a good friend of mine, so I keep tabs on him from afar. I don't think she's done much jumping with him, she had a baby not too many months ago and so is just getting back into riding.

I've got a lesson scheduled on Saturday with a dressage trainer that is coming in from out of town...it looks like I may be pulling the mare out for a test ride this week if my gelding isn't feeling 100% by then! She's a super nice mare, but bridling may be an issue. She's unbelievably earshy and hasn't had a bridle on in nearly 3 months.

Many jingles for you. I am battling/nursing three of four horses injured right now and it's just plain frustrating. I feel for you especially with a trainer coming in from out of town. Best of luck in having a good ride no matter what horse you end up on.

Ah, I meant the cow pony mare. Your inbox is full, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4running View Post
    Many jingles for you. I am battling/nursing three of four horses injured right now and it's just plain frustrating. I feel for you especially with a trainer coming in from out of town. Best of luck in having a good ride no matter what horse you end up on.
    Thank you, it looks like I will be riding the mare. Farrier stopped by to look at him yesterday and didn't find much, besides that he was very sore in the shoulder/wither area. He'll be back Saturday to put shoes and rim pads on the front end to see if that helps, but I may also have the chiropractor out to have a look at him as well. We were hoping to get away with another cycle barefoot before the show season, but I guess not.

runNjump, the cowpony mare? The killpen paint mare? Last I heard she was still with the dressage trainer, who had decided to train her instead as a lunge line lesson horse. I don't know that she actually did, but she won't sell her anyway. It's a shame she got ruined the way she did, but at least she's landed in a permanent, happy place.

Oh, and I've cleaned out my inbox now. Don't like this new system that doesn't tell you when it's full!

Well....it turns out there's a big honking ugly stone bruise in there, and I'm hoping, really hoping, that we don't end up with another abscess. We're just under 8 weeks from what I was hoping would be his debut at BN, and 6 weeks from a GMO team dressage show I promised I'd compete at.

On the up side, I rode my mare in a dressage lesson today and had a great time. Is the universe trying to tell me I should focus on dressage this year? I don't know. But at least I'll have a backup horse to ride at the team show if it comes to that!

Aw that sucks. Stone bruises can be a PIA. Hopefully it will clear up soon and not abscess! Glad plan B is working out ok!