The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leslie Law Clinic, beneficial or no?

Leslie Law is coming for a clinic in May. I missed it last year (dang Honeymoon!) and since my bday is around the corner, I thought I might ask for spot in the clinic. Thing is, I don't know if this is the greatest timing-wise to get the most out of the clinic and my money/present.

I've got 2 possible horses to take (can only really afford to take one).

1.) OTTB 6y/o gelding, been OT since September. Right now he's on "light duty" waiting for an osselet to set, hopefully only a few more weeks (looking good and sound). We will not really have a chance to actually school xc before the clinic (xc is at Stuart HT grounds, so big BN jumps). Has done 1 Hunter Pace and popped over a few logs fine. He is the one that does throw a fit when confused/overfaced/tired... I will hopefully be able to take him to a couple more paces before the clinic and have a coop and log jumps at the barn. I'm definitely planning on taking this guy to the Lucinda Green clinic in October.

2.) OTTB 14 y/o gelding, BTDT type of horse. Has been shown Training level, dressage is not his game(getting better!), but will jump just about anything you put in front of him. He was not shown last year (no one wanted the ride and trainer(his owner) had others to take). He is a difficult/complicated ride, likes to curl, but gets backed off real easily with "big" bits. He is the type of horse that needs a lot of direction in SJ from the rider, otherwise he'd be going Prelim. I've been riding him since the end of Jan regularly and been taking lessons with my trainer since Horse #1 is "off." I would like to move up to Training with this horse this summer if finances allow. I have not jumped any xc jumps with this guy, but could do some paces beforehand. I have done one jumper show so far and plan on doing some more in April.

My feeling is Horse #1 might be overfaced having not really schooled xc before. He has been very good about jumping all the random stuff in the ring (brush boxes, flower boxes, planks). Don't need a tantrum in the open or to shake his confidence... Horse #2 would not be overfaced, however having not ridden him xc, Novice seems logical but I'm afraid he'll be bored (the "idle minds" phrase comes to mind!). I have schooled T xc with my previous horse (complete opposite ride of #2), it's been over a year though.

For those that have ridden with LL, what would you suggest? My trainer has not ridden or audited with him.

Leslie Law is great with a wide range of horses and riders. He will use the same consistant exercises and approach for a BN to experiences ULR and every one takes something worthwhile away. Hi is honest with horses and riders..you will be in for a treat if he elects to have a sit" on either horse.

I took my guy last year when it was the first time he had ever really jumped xc http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...aw-clinic.html
    I did it again this yearvas we prepared for the move up to training level and enjoyed it again http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...ic-report.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I am not sure I would take either horse to any clinic with this time frame. the young one probably won't be ready, and I've found that horses with quirks + clinic settings are not always a good match. They can be brilliant. Or you, the horse, and the rest of your class all have a frustrating couple of hours.

However, I would defer to the owner/trainer on that one as s/he may know that the horse excels with the format, or with that instructor in which case go for it. If you said June or July it would be different - both horses would have a few more miles with you but May is early.

I have not ridden with Leslie myself, so I'm talking clinics in general.

Can't say what's best for you, but Leslie is awesome. He's easy to be around, very clear, encouraging, and has a great sense of humor (like when my horse tried to but me off, or over jumped by several feet, or when a rider puts her foot in her mouth)
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Given the less than ideal lead up for you...I'd go and audit. You can often learn more watching and listening than riding.

I've ridden with Leslie Law and would again in a heartbeat. But your young horse is healing from an injury so I wouldn't make any plans or clinics until he is going full duty. The other horse sounds like you need more time with him. I personally wouldn't spend the money to ride in a clinic just to ride...but would to audit.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 19, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't take a horse that hasn't had a proper introduction to XC to an XC clinic. First, because I wouldn't feel that I had done my homework to be prepared to get the most out of the experience. Second, because I audited his clinic at Stuart last year, and watched multiple riders who had never schooled XC waste a lot of everyone's time.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Leslie, and am fortunate to have him here multiple times over the year. He is good with everyone and all kinds of horses and I believe that everyone who rides with him takes something away.

That said, I'd decide what my goals were with both horses & only ride if I had something realistic to achieve with one of them or just audit. If you act as jump crew you will also get a ton out of it. And I love to watch him ride.

I had the privilege of clinicing with Leslie last fall. Fabulous gentleman who was very good with both of our youngsters. He reads horses very well - and will not overface.

Based on what I saw with my young guys, if you decide to go I would take the greenie. You will both learn a ton and don't expect perfect - learning can have its ugly moments and that is ok!

Definitely don't want to be "that person" who holds up the group because my horse is having as issue. I've been on the other side of that at a Lucinda clinic!

The clinic is at the end of May, so still have 2 months. I don't have my heart set on riding in the clinic, leaning towards the green bean only if he's ready and able to work on some xc stuff before the clinic (like ditches) that I could foresee being a problem. I just wanted to see what other people who have ridden with the man thought about his teaching style in relation to my options.

If you have a full 2 months, I'd take the greenie. Leslie is pretty systematic and does not overface horses in my experiences with auditing/riding with him. We had to cancel our clinic with him due to the EHV-1 outbreak here in IL very sad

The clinics in the area generally fills up very fast, so get your entries in ASAP if you want to do it.

Leslie's awesome!! Took a pony that had done one season of PN the year before - we ended up doing N and even some T stuff Had lots of fun! I would definitely attend another of his clinics