The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    =) I used a long cotton leadrope to teach my mare to accept touch on her legs and to also begin picking them up with myself safely out of range. I would carefully (and quickly) loop it around her leg and proceed to rub it up and down at all angles. When it would get around her fetlock, you could just catch it right to lift the leg up. It worked really well as she has to be the best one with her legs (touching, picking up, etc) and has never tried to kick once! She was also extremely head shy (still so but not to the same severity) so I took an old broom handle, filled a leather/cloth glove with sand/shavings/whatever and duct taped it on the end of the stick! Redneck I know, but it was very useful! I used it to reach around her poll/ears area and over her eyes whenever she would hold her head as high as possible. She didn't understand how my arm got so long, hehee! =) Worked super well with her ears and poll, I can now rub like crazy and flop her ears around all I want, though she is still slightly head shy when haltering (that will come). So yeah... there's another idea for you =) use it to touch her at a safe distance till she learns to be good.
    GREAT Hint!!! I'm never too old to learn new tricks!! Thanks for that one.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

You guys have given me the most helpful and creative suggestions! I am so appreciative.... thank you I'm definitely going to use the 2-halter trick, as well as the broom handle with a glove (genius!) and the cotton leadrope around the legs (also genius!).

Thank you COTH'ers!!!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

hehe, glad my little tricks are helpful to others! I remember working with her outside with my stick and glove trick and had people drive by giving me the strangest looks! It's whatever works =) Even though I'm nearly 6ft tall and have a reach of a little over 8ft (in total height) I still needed the extra help, just glad I was crafty enough to think of doing that hehe! Enjoy! I really do love the rope trick, especially with the hind legs. Just be sure to loop and not TIE it to the horse's leg, that's very dangerous.
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    GREAT Hint!!! I'm never too old to learn new tricks!! Thanks for that one.
    Thanks! Hope they're useful! =)
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Just a quick update... a little bit of progress!

We still have a long way to go, especially with those back legs/feet but she is catching on quickly. I don't think we'd even be at this point without all of your very VERY helpful suggestions. Thank you again!

(... yes I realize it's dangerous to have them in our field which contains the burn pile/barrel - it was temporary while I was working with her).

I would call that tolerance more than manners but whatever you call it, she looks like she is behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I would call that tolerance more than manners but whatever you call it, she looks like she is behaving.
    Other than the subtitle in the video which my husband uploaded, I don't believe anywhere in my post did I say that she has manners. I mentioned "a little bit of progress" and "we have a long way to go" and was just trying to once again thank everyone who gave suggestions...

1 members found this post helpful.

Why did you take offense to my comment? I said she was behaving which is exactly what you want them to do. Manners is the title of this thread. And if you scroll up you will see I was one of the many who gave you suggestions, so you are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    Other than the subtitle in the video which my husband uploaded, I don't believe anywhere in my post did I say that she has manners. I mentioned "a little bit of progress" and "we have a long way to go" and was just trying to once again thank everyone who gave suggestions...
    Your Youtube description states "Finally learning some manners..." But that's not important.

She is a definite cutie and you look like you are on the right course My only thought is to not focus on leading her yet - in the last seconds of the video she is following you but only because you are pulling her along. I'd keep going with the full-body rubs and feet picking, but also start working in some pressure exercises, like getting her to turn her haunches away when you ask.

Good luck!
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I found the easiest way to remember what to do with my first foal was to think "if it isn't cute when my 1300lb QH does it, it's not cute when the foal/weanling/yearling does it." That foal is now 15 and much admired for his exemplary manners.

If my QH turned his butt to me, whether he was considering kicking or not, let's just say that behaviour would be in the unacceptable category. So if the foal turned his butt to me, it wouldn't matter if kicking was part of the deal.

The thing that jumped out at me the most in your video was when she kicked out and you retreated to her other side. I don't think you did it on purpose (maybe didn't even notice), but every time it happens she is learning that kicking out makes you stop. Your position by her shoulder, and reaching down along her hind leg with your free hand is great, now just grab her fetlock if she lifts the foot off the ground and pull the leg forward. Hold it until you can place her foot back on the ground without her pulling away - place it forward under her body, not beside the other foot. If she does manage to pull away (and lets face it, it's going to happen at times when you don't have a good hold or get caught by surprise - no biggie) then you just go and run your hand down her leg and catch her fetlock/pastern again when she lifts the foot to try and get rid of you again.

Best thing for foal training is teaching them that you give nice scritches, but be aware that you don't want to permit any kind of mutual grooming action at this point because that's too close kin to biting. Just lean out of reach of her nose, push her head away, push her head so she can groom mum, or stop scratching until she moves her nose away from you. In any case don't allow her to nose you while you're scritching her. Then you can use scritches to reward good behaviour. For example, poke the side of her haunches until she shifts them sideways away from the pressure, then immediately change the poke to a scritch.

Treat her like the adult horse she's going to become. Expect her to behave as you would your mare, and gently, consistently correct any misbehaviour. I don't mean that she should be as well behaved as your mare right now, but having the expectations of adult behaviour just gives you the constant reference point as to what behaviour is or is not acceptable.

There are many acceptable ways to the end. A bunch of suggestions here. My 3 week old colt is at this point and I knew it was coming. He has been fearless about people since the day he was born. At first it was cute but after enough foals around here I knew the totally fearless ones can quickly become the pushy/rude ones. This week that came true. Instead of walking up to me the little bugger took to running up to and into me this week. Since I was feeding momma at the time I held the plastic feed scoop out in front of me and he smacked headfirst into it. He only did that twice. Then he tried moving onto turning his hind end towards me. Though he didn't kick yet had to nip it in the bud before it did...so he got smacked on the hind end with the plastic scoop there too. Only tried that a couple times. Today he went to turn his butt to me and all I had to do was lift up the feed scoop and he stopped. Just like a horse lifts a hind foot in warning before they clobber the offending little bugger. They generally will test their boundaries but are not stupid. Just so you know....if this foal is with you for a while they will get manners. For a while. At about 1 and 2 they will again go through phases of testing you to try and move up the "pecking order".